Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iroko Wood or Cedar wood for cladding on boundary fence for back garden

• 25-07-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi

I am doing some work on my back garden. I live in a terraced house and I am looking to clad the boundary fences.

I am not sure whether to choose Cedar or Iroko. Does anyone have experience with either and how easy are they to maintain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

Iroko will need treating. The cedar can be left untreated. They will both last about as long as each other but the iroko will take knocks and bashes better. The cedar is as soft as pine. But looks greak.Both are rather expensive options for fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭doireann08

no1murray wrote: »
    Iroko will need treating. The cedar can be left untreated. They will both last about as long as each other but the iroko will take knocks and bashes better. The cedar is as soft as pine. But looks greak.Both are rather expensive options for fencing.

Thanks - what treatment does the iroko need and how often

What other wood options would you recommend?

doireann08 wrote: »
    Thanks - what treatment does the iroko need and how often

What other wood options would you recommend?

The iroko will need a clear coat once a year. Pressure treated pine is the most cost effective solution. But any hardwood will look much better, although like I said it is massively more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭doireann08

thanks - i do like the iroko though, the designer is also suggesting cedar, is it better to steer clear of cedar?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Cedar changes colour over time to a lovely greyish colour , but lasts a lot longer than a soft wood.
    A lot depends on how much you need and how robust it needs to be,
    Also if your planting against the fence, not having to treat the timber annualy could be a big advantage..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

The cedar is a beautful wood. If you like the silvering, I would go for the cedar personally. Its all down to what you like.

Advertisement