Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flying the Flag

• 24-07-2014 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Its fairly common in the USA and Canada for people to have their national flag flying on a pole on their house or in their garden

Very rarely seen here (perhaps the tricolor flag is a bit tarnished by events in Northern Ireland)

Nevertheless I'm curious about the legalities in putting up a flagpole. Is planning permission required to mount a flagpole on the roof of your house or in your garden?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/upload/publications/1104.pdf

herein lies the protocol for the flag but i dont see any mention of flying it from your house..... Contact Enda and he'll set you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

thejuggler wrote: »

Very rarely seen here (perhaps the tricolor flag is a bit tarnished by events in Northern Ireland)

More so by those who get stupid words printed on top and hang at soccer matches than those north of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Work in the uk…. lots of the english/british guys have a flag on their house. They are actually very nationalistic. Especially the working class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Its not a very European thing to do. You never see a German, French or Austrian home with a flag on the side of it. You are more likely to a see their state flag eg Bavarians plaster everything with their blue and white flag, but its rare to see a German flag.

The American flag tends to only be found on homes in the south and working class areas. You never see Californian homes with the us flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Often see it in some of the less desirable areas to live in Dublin. Any time I see it I think of wannabe shinners.

Don't get me wrong, I've pride in my country - I just think sticking an Irish flag up in your garden sends the wrong message.

• Advertisement
Advertisement