Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NDLS

• 31-05-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Is it compulsory to book online to go to an National Drivers Licence Service?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

No. You can turn up but you'll have to wait if people have already booked an appointment. You could go in,see if its busy and arrange to come back at a better time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Was there on Friday afternoon with an appointment and there were loads of walk-ins. They were telling them to make an appointment as they more than likely wouldn't be seen as the list was long already. If you go in without an appointment make it first thing in the morning, that should improve your odds!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 East jimmy

Hi
    If you have an appointment to get a replacement licence (which I lost)
    Do you actually get the new licence in your hand on the day of the appointment?
    Or do they post it out.

Also I live in cork and there are no appointments available. I have booked one for the Waterford Centre which is 1:30 drive for me . Do you think it's best to stick with the appointment rather than rocking up at the cork Center without an appointment?
    Thanks in advance
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Seanokelly123

East jimmy wrote: »
    Hi
    If you have an appointment to get a replacement licence (which I lost)
    Do you actually get the new licence in your hand on the day of the appointment?
    Or do they post it out.

Also I live in cork and there are no appointments available. I have booked one for the Waterford Centre which is 1:30 drive for me . Do you think it's best to stick with the appointment rather than rocking up at the cork Center without an appointment?
    Thanks in advance
    J
    They post it out to you. It takes 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 msvalhalla

I just completed a replacement licence application this morning from a walk-in appointment. As confirmed by another poster, it is posted out in two weeks.

In fact, I was made re-take my picture and re-sign my signature, and was told it had to be done that way. This suggests that there is no replacement system in place yet (as well as their postal or phone system), as their website goes on about a person only having to do the whole photo/signature thing once in your life and afterwards being able to apply by post/phone.

I had an appointment for a few days time, but I travelled home from Central America just to get the replacement licence (as their postal/phone system is not set up yet), so I also took a chance and got a walk-in appointment first thing today as Im on a timeline. They just cancelled my future appointment on the system. (I obviously didn't tell them this until I was finished my business).

I would note that, depending on who you meet at the offices, there is a big push to make everyone set up an appointment online now. I was there first thing this morning and they took my application, however a guy walked in behind me and he was told that he had to make an online appointment.

My advice is to chance a walk-in and preferably a quieter weekday and be there 30mins before the doors open.
    There is a lot of complaints at the moment (including my own recent experiences) about the NDLS on Boards.ie as there service is creaking at the seams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Do you need to get the D502 form completed and signed by an optician if you're just renewing a DL?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Seanokelly123

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 32 msvalhalla

For information:
    My recent licence application was on a Tuesday and it was delivered in the post Thursday week (9 days). This is pretty good delivery times.

Back in December the wait was approx. 6-8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 COYL

Does anyone know if you are actually officially able to drive on the day your application is made...or is it only after you receive your licence? In other words am I legally a licence holder from that day?

I recently passed my test, but will be unable to book an appointment at NDLS until late July. My concern is that this N plate situation kicks in on August 1st.

Would my licence be dated from the day that I actually go in and attend the appointment?

Any info gratefully received. Thanks

EDIT: I got everything sorted this morning ( Sat 12 july) Went to Santry as a walk in appointment and got everything done promptly. BTW I was told that though my licence would not be with me for 8 or 10 days or so, it would be dated from todays date 12 July 2014.

Advertisement