Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's a good note taking programme for Linux?

• 06-07-2014 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I'm looking for a good note taking programme for Linux, preferably fully featured. Preferably it would allow me to choose where it stores it's notes. I have tried a few but i would like to see if there are any that i might have overlooked before i settle on one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Could you give more details on what you're looking for? Or do you have software from Windows or OSx that you're thinking of?

Znotes is available as a standalone app or Thunderbird addon. It's probably not full-featured but if you use Thunderbird it might be a runner for you: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/znotes/

Nevernote (nixnote) is an Evernote clone for Linux that might work for you: http://nevernote.sourceforge.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Walnutcracker

Thanks for the tips. I know of Nixnote but hadn't heard of the Thunderbird addon. I would be looking for something along those lines. I am interested in Cherrytree and think it is the best one for me but i just want to know if there's anything else i should consider.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

yeah I guess it depends on what you want. I don't think znotes is the greatest note taking application, and the fact that it's a solo developer / owner isn't the best. That said you can set it up so that the notes are stored on dropbox or owncloud. I needed to have access to the same notes on four different computers so this was a win for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

I use zim which is a desktop wiki. If you configure it to store its files in your droobox folder you can access from multiple computers

• Advertisement
Advertisement