Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Rycn wrote: »
    Pretty sure the second ones a perch
    This is a perch I caught in the same river.
    Edit-Ignore the fact that the file says trout :D
    Notice the brownish colour on the trout/perch, the brown fins instead of the red ones perch usually have and the three or four red spots on his scales... Defo not a perch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Trout I caught in castlecoote, river suck. First one appears to have been attacked by a pike. I uploaded this mainly because of the second one. It looks like a perch but with closer examination it has a trouts spots and broown colour (May not be noticeable in photo). Perch/Trout hybrid?

There both trout!!;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Yep! Both trout. The thumbprint markings along the flanks of the 2nd one are called "parr markings". Not obvious from the photo, but I am guessing that particular fish was smaller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Awww, interesting. That's really strange. Never heard of that before... Mind you, I've never heard of perch/trout hybrids!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Decided to take the family to curraghchase forest park yesterday for my son's last day of freedom as he started pre school today.. I had promised him id take him fishing before school so i had fished this tiny lake yrs ago for perch i thought he might have a chance of catching something small.. So i brought his tiny little rod for some float fishing..Here is a video of his first cast.. need i say we have another hooked angler..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

First night beach fishing as ive only ever fished from piers etc. Was attempting to catch some bass but i ended up with alot of these small sole (i think). Put them all back in after as none were very large.

dscn0383q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    First night beach fishing as ive only ever fished from piers etc. Was attempting to catch some bass but i ended up with alot of these small sole (i think). Put them all back in after as none were very large.

Thats a flounder

shblob wrote: »
    I know about conservation alright but seeing as there are no laws for keeping fish from the sea I can't see his problem.

Wrong. There in fact are laws. Especially in this country. A maximum of 2 bass per day per angler (bass must be over 40cm) with a closed season from May 15th to June 15th.

The catching and retaining of undersized fish is also severely frowned upon and imo should result in a fine.

As for the mackerel, it happens everywhere around the coast. I have no problem myself in keeping them for bait or eating but the killing of large numbers for the sheer sake of it is ridiculous. Also the comparison with trawlers is stupid - commercial pelagic trawlers catch up to 600 tonnes of mackerel per haul, making the 60 or so taken by an angler seem pitiful

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

some_dose wrote: »
    Thats a flounder

Thanks for clearing that up, was not too sure what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

My cod! :)

16563126100632841213273.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

kimmyt1987 wrote: »
    My cod! :)

16563126100632841213273.jpg
    Thats a serious fish! Well done :)

Cheers dude!
    I'll have to root some more off the hard drive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

WOW Kimmy that's a beauty, well done. Where was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Stab*City wrote: »
    Decided to take the family to curraghchase forest park yesterday for my son's last day of freedom as he started pre school today.. I had promised him id take him fishing before school so i had fished this tiny lake yrs ago for perch i thought he might have a chance of catching something small.. So i brought his tiny little rod for some float fishing..Here is a video of his first cast.. need i say we have another hooked angler..:D

Cool stuff. That's the kind of memory that sticks with a kid for life. I bet the wee man felt ten foot tall after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Brill pics everyone:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Pollock couple pound weight, caught off pier along Sligo coast using feathers few days back.
    ended up in the pan.. Alot say they don't like pollock, I couldn't find fault with it..

127094.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

artieanna wrote: »
    Pollock couple pound weight, caught off pier along Sligo coast using feathers few days back.
    ended up in the pan.. Alot say they don't like pollock, I couldn't find fault with it..

127094.JPG

i like pollock, but most people dont know how to cook it... or make the flesh firm over night in the fridge with a bit of salt on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

elius wrote: »
    Hi ryan the reason i kept them is the fishing on the east cost tends to be sh1t to be honest. Im a lover of makeral and i still have some in the freezer we caught these on friday and on saturday when we went fishing we returned most of the catch only on sunday did we keep a few more. The above was between two of us. That makes only 35 makeral each *think it was 70*. not really a hole lot to be honest!
    These are purley for eating i dont fish during the winter due to shooting !

Macks aren't the best for freezing for eating at a later date tbh, they tend to deteriorate... and apparently they can give you fish flu (the symptoms of which are heavy sweating and erratic palpatations :eek:).

If I decide to get some bait I catch 20 or 30 and share with relatives and friends as well as freezing some for bait.

It really is desperate times if people start advocating Catch and Release for Mackerel... snap their little necks, or bite their heads off, and wolf as many of them down as possible, they only here for a few months. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

snow ghost wrote: »
    It really is desperate times if people start advocating Catch and Release for Mackerel... snap their little necks, or bite their heads off, and wolf as many of them down as possible, they only here for a few months. ;)

proudly i know absolutely nothing about mackerel, in fact i hate the sea and sea fishing and have little desire ever to go anywhere near the sea........but i have a question for the sea anglers, surely if everyone ' bites the heads off and wolfs down' as many of those mackerel as they can then will there not be less fish to decapitate by teeth and 'wolf down' in the long term?? i thought populations of fish were falling at sea? why?

PS what does a raw mackerels head taste like?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Apparently mackerel population is under serious pressure read it somewhere cant remember where.

I would catch 3 or 4 dozen from the boat between two or three rods none of it ever goes to waste. we use some as bait for skate etc or for pots & the rest we eat ourselves.

Im pretty sure there is a legal limit on the amount of mackerel you can catch on any given trip, im open to correction but I think its two of those fish boxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

proudly i know absolutely nothing about mackerel, in fact i hate the sea and sea fishing and have little desire ever to go anywhere near the sea........but i have a question for the sea anglers, surely if everyone ' bites the heads off and wolfs down' as many of those mackerel as they can then will there not be less fish to decapitate by teeth and 'wolf down' in the long term?? i thought populations of fish were falling at sea? why?

PS what does a raw mackerels head taste like?

I wouldn't worry about people catching 30 mackerel on a rod and line - there are plenty of them around and Irish people have been doing it for centuries. And if the angler doesn't get them the large population of seals and other predators will. If you were talking wrasse or bass, you may have a point.

I'm not aware that scientists have said the mackerel population is under threat and as long as nations stick to the scientists' recomended fishing qoutas then the levels should remain self-sustaining.

The sea angler is of minimal threat to fish stocks in comparison to commercial fishing and some of its practices.

A raw mackerel's head tastes like sushi.

I wouldn't worry about people catching 30 mackerel on a rod and line - there are plenty of them around and Irish people have been doing it for centuries. And if the angler doesn't get them the large population of seals and other predators will. If you were talking wrasse or bass, you may have a point.

I'm not aware that scientists have said the mackerel population is under threat and as long as nations stick to the scientists' recomended fishing qoutas then the levels should remain self-sustaining.

The sea angler is of minimal threat to fish stocks in comparison to commercial fishing and some of its practices.

A raw mackerel's head tastes like sushi.

The mackerel population is indeed under severe pressure at the moment. Changes in waters temperatures have altered the migratory routes of the mackerel and they can now be found further north (which is a possible explanation for the previous years' poor seasons) in the waters off the Faroes, Norway and Iceland. Last year over 130,000 tonnes were landed in these new fisheries yet they had been assigned no quota. This year they are pushing for an increase

Do not be fooled into thinking that because you can catch 30 from the shore with feather that there must be loads out there. Pelagic trawlers (the ones who catch the fish which end up in the supermarkets) are massive and can take up to 600 tonnes of mackerel in one haul (the nets are big enough to accommodate a good few 747's). If upon sampling of the catch (while still in the net), it is found that the average size is too small, then the net is left 'slip' i.e. they open the cod-end and dump 600 tonnes of dead fish into the water. Yet still this fishery has MSC (Marine Stewardship Council) accreditation for sustainability simply because they refuse to let observers on the vessels.

Long story short, quotas need to be reduced and fishing practices need to be carefully controlled and monitored

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Drake66

Macks aren't the best for freezing for eating at a later date tbh, they tend to deteriorate... and apparently they can give you fish flu (the symptoms of which are heavy sweating and erratic palpatations :eek:).

Fish Flu? :D. What is the precise epidemiology of this "disease"?

Macks are perfectly fine for freezing as long as they are prepped and frozen soon after being caught. You can enjoy them well into the winter; char-grilled, pan fried, turned into mack patties with peppers, baked with potato, baked with pasta etc. Any way you want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

can this sticky not be kept for pics???

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Drake66

Medium sized ballan caught the last time I went wrassing.

ballanwrasse1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

never seen ballan before thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

gotta love the jack russell syndrome of this guy. a 14 hook and double red maggot.

16092010004.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Macspower wrote: »
    gotta love the jack russell syndrome of this guy. a 14 hook and double red maggot.

Ha! Thats good. I caught a pollock the other day on a jellyworm. The jellyworm was twice as long as the pollock. I didn't know I'd anything on the rod til i reeled it back in. Greedy fecker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Few brownies from last 2 outings

Loch Leven Brown on a bibio sedgehog

DSC02488_edited.jpg

Two from a float tubing session both on a claret dhs.

DSC02480_edited.jpg

DSC02485_edited.jpg

Advertisement