Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm waiting for 2 of these in the post for Lucy girl for when the weather gets better and the neoprene vest is too warm lo!! One pink camo and one green camo so they don't show up the muck as much and I don't care what looks I get from the morning traffic when we pass! :p I don't have time to wash her before work when she rolls in something and is covered from head to toe - at least with a vest/shirt on her I can throw it in the washing machine and it just leaves her head and neck to wash! :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is there a weird things pets do thread?

My bearded dragon loves listening to Riverdance - weirdo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I just seen this popping up on my facebook feed and thought it may be of some use to people here. (apologies if it's been posted already) :)
    Warning for anyone who bought Premium ham dog bones from Aldi.

Kovu wrote: »
    I just seen this popping up on my facebook feed and thought it may be of some use to people here. (apologies if it's been posted already) :)
    Warning for anyone who bought Premium ham dog bones from Aldi.

I'm a little surprised by Aldi's response but at the same time I haven't looked for compensation any time I fed my dogs something that didn't agree with them?! I just chalk it down to experience and try not to make the same mistake again. Never feed cooked bones ever - simple as. I honestly thought was going to end that the bone splintered and either cut the dog up inside or killed it so glad he's ok..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I bought a nail clippers for Poppy's claws and thinking I could trim them on our bed when she was relaxed she proved me wrong by sticking a claw in my chin. Gonna be a 2 person job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

My 14 year old dog Poppy is currently going through her annual end of February to mid March cycle. Every year without fail, she starts mopping around, sleeping, wants to be left alone and attacks the younger dog so kept them separated as Misty annoys her. It's been occurring since she was 3. We brought her to the vet from 3-6 years of age, with the same symptoms, every year tests came back normal. Vet said it could be due to seasonal change.

Well currently in the middle of one. She's still eating and drinking and gets up regularly for toilet breaks. She will go for her walk but won't herd sheep at all during this period. Other than that sleep,sleep,sleep.

She was at the vets 3 months ago and get a clean bill of health.

I was away for most of yesterday and since I ended up with 3 of the cats (never happened before) on the bed with me last night, I think they missed me.:) All was well until 2am when Felix decided it was time to break things up by trying to intimidate Toby off.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My 14 year old dog Poppy is currently going through her annual end of February to mid March cycle. Every year without fail, she starts mopping around, sleeping, wants to be left alone and attacks the younger dog so kept them separated as Misty annoys her. It's been occurring since she was 3. We brought her to the vet from 3-6 years of age, with the same symptoms, every year tests came back normal. Vet said it could be due to seasonal change.

Well currently in the middle of one. She's still eating and drinking and gets up regularly for toilet breaks. She will go for her walk but won't herd sheep at all during this period. Other than that sleep,sleep,sleep.

She was at the vets 3 months ago and get a clean bill of health.

Do dogs suffer from S.A.D.D.?
    If so, you could get one of those lamps for over her bed?!?
    There might be a doggie equivalent of "moody mare" type products?
    Is she neutered?

Passing the airport the other day I noticed an airplane ramp with Bohar's logo and emblems all over it and it made me extremely angry. I can't condone shipping live animals from Ireland to the third world. The animals will have to endure too much in transit and then are handed over to people with little or no experience in caring for animals.

Surely it would make more sense for livestock to be sourced from countries closer to the destination countries and kept at centres where people are taught how to care for them before being handed over to people?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

aonb wrote: »
    Do dogs suffer from S.A.D.D.?
    If so, you could get one of those lamps for over her bed?!?
    There might be a doggie equivalent of "moody mare" type products?
    Is she neutered?

Yeah aonb she is neutered. There has been a small bit of research conducted and it does indicate that dogs do suffer from symptoms of SAD but no concrete evidence that it is actually is SAD. Again something to do with hormonal imbalances. Seems a charity is the UK has researched the matter (The People's Dispensary for Sick Animals) found 40% of dogs and 1/3 of cats suffer from downturn in moods.

But the thing is Poppy only suffers from the end of February to mid March. It could be something to do with change in temperature and longer days.

• Advertisement

My heart is breaking for my ma's little puppy Reggie! He's just about 5 months, he had surgery today. He's wearing a really cool collar (pic to follow!) my mother fashioned for him to save him from the lampshade collar. He had the runs for a few days so we brought him in, x ray showed a blockage and they opened him up - a daffodil bulb!! The questions are flying... where?... how?... what?... I doubt that's the weirdest thing they've removed from a Lab puppy though. So glad they did - those things are poisonous! Poor little baby is so confused, and his belly hurts him. He's on the couch now.

poor_reggie_zps7nk4sd6f.jpg

Edited to add!: Yes, he's a spotty Lab! It's a rare pigment thing, he's a black Lab but little white spots develop all over his coat. They usually disappear at about 12 months, but there is a chance they wont - we're hoping they don't!

By the way, we are going to plant the said bulb in a pot and save it as a several-hundred-euro ornament!

Ah poor pup!! Hope he's felling better soon. I used a tshirt on Lucy when she was spayed to keep the wound lightly covered an no problems with her stitches. When my friend's dog had stitches they were a bit lax with him - half of them were already gone when he went to have them removed!

Today I bumped into the lady who adopted our foster kitten Molly, I love getting updates on her new life. She's got a little brother recently, a ginger kitten who she enjoys bullying/playing with.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Does anyone know is there something like the stockupandsave voucher for the German zooplus site? Trying to figure out which is best value :)

^ Funny I was just on zooplus.ie (seeing if they still had the squeaky egg I got last time in the rewards shop) and got the notification for the rewards scheme ... logged into the german site when I saw your post and they have better options!! Drives me mad the way you have to shop around their different sites for the best deal!!! I usually just open the different sites in seperate tabs, add everything to the cart and compare prices at check out lol!! :p Part of the reason why I just bought food for treats from dog food direct last week instead of trying to calculate the best option on zooplus!

zooplus.ie
    4.90 - 5% for 1 year
    9.90 - 5% for 3 years

zooplus.de
    9.90 - 8% for 1 year
    19.90 - 8% for 3 years!!

It's odd that some products are more expensive on some of the European sites. On one of them it's 5 euro extra for the Royal Canin that we buy, yet the Bozita tins are a bit cheaper. I might as well stick with Ireland since the Euro to Sterling rate is so bad.

Worked out best on the irish site in the end, they have the saver packs of Dude's ID food, the german one didn't! It was only a €5 difference but every little counts :P Poor Dude has been limping the last few days, he has what looks like a scab under his hind paw pad but it eases completely after metacam. I've never had a cat as easy to medicate as him, the second he sees me filling the syringe he's straight over making his brrrrr noise at me to get his special treat :D

Worked out best on the irish site in the end, they have the saver packs of Dude's ID food, the german one didn't! It was only a €5 difference but every little counts :P Poor Dude has been limping the last few days, he has what looks like a scab under his hind paw pad but it eases completely after metacam. I've never had a cat as easy to medicate as him, the second he sees me filling the syringe he's straight over making his brrrrr noise at me to get his special treat :D

I wish I could get the Metacam into ours so easily. They sniff it out straight away, no matter how stinky the food I hide it in is. It's ok with Jazzy though, we leave the food on the counter and he likes to think he's stealing it so he'll wolf it down. :D

I wish I could get the Metacam into ours so easily. They sniff it out straight away, no matter how stinky the food I hide it in is. It's ok with Jazzy though, we leave the food on the counter and he likes to think he's stealing it so he'll wolf it down. :D

I don't put it into food because all three of mine like to steal from each other so I just squirt it straight in their mouth. If Peach or Cream have to take it, it's a 2 person job but with Dude he practically has the tongue hanging out waiting for it :P

• Advertisement

My mum called to us today and it's the first time she's met Poppy. Usually Poppy runs up the stairs and hides whenever a stranger comes into the house, but she was fascinated by my mum and was standing on her back paws peering around the sofa at her, in the end she jumped up beside her on the sofa, she's a strange little cat. Felix almost jumped up in her lap as well. Of course my parents have 4 cats as well, so they're well used to moggies.:D

Waiting for the vets to call so I can go and collect Bailey - left him in for X-rays this morning ... He tried to open the front door of the vets to get out while we were waiting lol! (Normally it's just the door of the examination room) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Was in getting an ultrasound scan this morning for the baby, all looked great, he/she was really active, jumping and twisting about! And it pushed my due date forward slightly, and very coincidentally to 27th August, which is both Cocos birthday and Bensons gotcha day from rescue! :D Which the pair of us thought was hilarious, not that the sonographer was in on the joke! Not that it's by any means certain I'll go on that date although the hospital I'm attending doesn't like to let women over 40 go over their due date.

LOL think of the birthday photos - baby and the 2 doggies around the cake! :D

STILL waiting to hear from them about Bailey...Last time we were waiting like this found the tumour in his jaw (!)
    I left him in with a raw breakfast so hopefully he'll make friends with them instead of sulking lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Was in getting an ultrasound scan this morning for the baby, all looked great, he/she was really active, jumping and twisting about! And it pushed my due date forward slightly, and very coincidentally to 27th August, which is both Cocos birthday and Bensons gotcha day from rescue! :D Which the pair of us thought was hilarious, not that the sonographer was in on the joke! Not that it's by any means certain I'll go on that date although the hospital I'm attending doesn't like to let women over 40 go over their due date.

Congrats BLM, thats great news! Haha I really hope you have the baby on the due date :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Was in getting an ultrasound scan this morning for the baby, all looked great, he/she was really active, jumping and twisting about! And it pushed my due date forward slightly, and very coincidentally to 27th August, which is both Cocos birthday and Bensons gotcha day from rescue! :D

That's my birthday too ;) congrats !

I know, could you imagine the birthdays?:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I know, could you imagine the birthdays?:D:D:D

But would you have a HUMAN birthday cake, or a DOG birthday cake?!? :D

Safe, healthy, happy, easy pregnancy to you!

aonb wrote: »
    But would you have a HUMAN birthday cake, or a DOG birthday cake?!? :D

Safe, healthy, happy, easy pregnancy to you!

I'd have to have one of each! Or the plainest of the plain with removable doggy biscuits placed on top and taken off for human consumption!

So far it's been a doddle! No sickness or nausea, a little bit of insomnia, but after seeing how active the baby is inside me it's easy to figure out why I can't sleep through the night! :D

• Advertisement

I leave Bailey into the vet with a sore front leg and he comes home with a hoppy back leg! I'm hoping he just gave himself a bang in the crate and will be fine tomorrow.. Forgot his thunder shirt and he was a bit barky and stressed out compared to last time - the brat started barking once he knew I was in the waiting room and they eventually sent him out to me to get some peace lol! :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement