Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big Bags Salt

• 09-02-2015 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a place where you can get large bags of salt? I've used it previously to prevent weeds coming back around the house and need to pick some up, any places stock it in large amounts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭black & white

I think I saw some in Lild in Shannon recently, they got them in for the winter and are now left with a few. If you're not close to Shannon maybe your nearest Lidl or Aldi may have some ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Off the top of my head I would say the Co-Op in Sixmilebridge, Dan McInerney's on Clon Road in Ennis and Golden Vale out the Quinn Road.

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you do with the salt to stop the weeds? I've a problem with moss and weeds coming up through the gaps in a patio, could I use salt and if so how would I use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

The right salt is sulphate of iron for killing moss anyway. Shannonside Building Supplies Clonroad stock this €12.95 per 25kg bag.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Do I scrub it in or do I just stray it or spread it? I really am useless at all this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭black & white

buck65 wrote: »
    The right salt is sulphate of iron for killing moss anyway. Shannonside Building Supplies Clonroad stock this €12.95 per 25kg bag.

A sprinkle of washing powder will kill off any moss on a drive or patio, takes about 3 dry days.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Do I scrub it in or do I just stray it or spread it? I really am useless at all this stuff

just spread it out by hand and leave it a few weeks, it will dissolve the moss in the garden and then rake it out. It will leave holes but spread some lawn seed and it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

just spread it out by hand and leave it a few weeks, it will dissolve the moss in the garden and then rake it out. It will leave holes but spread some lawn seed and it will be fine.

Does it affect the grass at all?

I don't think so, a few years since I used it but think it was mostly the moss.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So .05c dearer than previously posted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So .05c dearer than previously posted?

no ..... 5c dearer or €0.05 ..... .05c is half a cent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cheeky feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 45 oodes

Did anyone locate any big bags of salt? Not this sulphate of iron , regular sodium chloride for killing the weeds lad

Advertisement