Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Motors just released all its patents

• 12-06-2014 6:53pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Elon Musk had been hinting at this move for a while but he just confirmed it an hour ago on the Tesla website:

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

It will be interesting to see what impact this has on electric vehicle innovations. My understanding is that Tesla uses different technology to Toyota and others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

It will be interesting to see if this changes anything. Hopefully it will.

They are correct in saying that the electric car industry needs further innovation to become more mainstream. Hopefully other companies will join in to get something done!

(I also appreciate the geek reference in the press release title :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

an interesting move.

I wonder are they hoping that with more EV's that the Gigafactory will be the one supplier for the whole market and thus it'll be very rewarding gesture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

I think they want other car companies to join the supercharger network, they may be in talks with BMW about it already

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

nokia69 wrote: »
    I think they want other car companies to join the supercharger network, they may be in talks with BMW about it already

Makes sense - that way they don't have to carry the burden of financing a whole separate charging infrastructure.

Story on BMW & Tesla talking:

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/06/16/bmw-tesla-meet-talk-superchargers/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

working together makes the network expand faster, but the electric BMWs being built now have small batteries so maybe BMW will try and make a car like the model S

people have spotted BMW and ford engineers at superchargers trying to figure out how the whole thing works, looks like all they needed to do was ask

• Advertisement
Advertisement