Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

plys wrote: »
    Anyone noticed any significant improvements post-firmware update?
    Mine's running now..

No naff all, it was a bit buggy after install if anything, no notification sounds played etc... until i did a second reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

fionny wrote: »
    No naff all, it was a bit buggy after install if anything, no notification sounds played etc... until i did a second reboot.

Sounds just like any custom ROM i've experienced tbh..

Quite surprised to be receiving an OTA update so soon, Sammy having a precedent of inadequate software support..

Quite surprised to be receiving an OTA update so soon, Sammy having a precedent of inadequate software support..

Never had that problem with custom ROMS to be honest.

Hopefully Sammy are turning over a new leaf with the GS3 they certainly seem to be approching it with more confidence. I will be changing to a custom ROM at some point though once the devs ramp up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Wouldn't get your hopes up. It was a very small update - 17mb. Suspect it was just a minor tweak.

Never had that problem with custom ROMS to be honest.

Hopefully Sammy are turning over a new leaf with the GS3 they certainly seem to be approching it with more confidence. I will be changing to a custom ROM at some point though once the devs ramp up on it.

Same. Quite happy with TW atm, but I there are a good few things i have noticed which seem to just be there for show.. things that might get a tad annoying after a while..
    elderlemon wrote: »
    Wouldn't get your hopes up. It was a very small update - 17mb. Suspect it was just a minor tweak.

Mine was 31.17MB...?!

• Advertisement

Oh no I ditched TW im using Apex Launcher, TW just waste WAYYYYYY too much room on the screen.

My update was 21mb (meteor) I guess it was network dependant?

Oh no I ditched TW im using Apex Launcher, TW just waste WAYYYYYY too much room on the screen.

My update was 21mb (meteor) I guess it was network dependant?

Is yours carrier locked?

Is yours carrier locked?

negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Any idea of what the update actually did? I opted not to update as I thought it would reset the phone. I'm rooted do would I have to able to do the update ota?

Where can I get the update now since I choose "later" option.

Any idea of what the update actually did? I opted not to update as I thought it would reset the phone. I'm rooted do would I have to able to do the update ota?

Where can I get the update now since I choose "later" option.

No idea what it actually did. It does seem a teeeeny bit faster, but that might just be the placebo effect..

You can get it from:

Settings > About Phone > Software Update

EDIT: No reset, lost apps, settings etc. as a result of the update.

• Advertisement

I put the phone into flight mode over night and the drain was a bit less than when on. 15% in 8.5 hours, compared to the 25% with it on.

However, as you can see from the screen shots, something is still causing the phone is "wake up". I've turned off everything in the process of trying to find out what it is, but still cannot find out.

Can someone have a look at the shots and see if ye can pick out something.

I must say that the connectivity issue I'm having(keeps giving me a connected to wifi network notification every few mins) could be causing these wakelocks?? I don't know myself.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to sort out the wakelocks.

[IMG][/img]screenshot2012061213022.th.png screenshot2012061213022.th.png screenshot2012061213030.th.png screenshot2012061203561.th.png screenshot2012061213020.th.png screenshot2012061213303.th.png screenshot2012061213014.th.png screenshot2012061213032.th.png

OK so last night I turned off wifi/mobile data and left the phone on as normal and the drain certainly wasn't as bad as leaving the wifi on.

However there was a total of about 50mins wakelock showing up in BBS for connectivityService which I still don't understand what it means.

Could there be apps/programs running on the phone that cause wakelock without needing wifi/mobile data? If so then how can I find out about these apps running?

OK so last night I turned off wifi/mobile data and left the phone on as normal and the drain certainly wasn't as bad as leaving the wifi on.

However there was a total of about 50mins wakelock showing up in BBS for connectivityService which I still don't understand what it means.

Could there be apps/programs running on the phone that cause wakelock without needing wifi/mobile data? If so then how can I find out about these apps running?

Maybe despite the wifi being off weather / facebook etc... might TRY to connect to the servers to update?

Maybe despite the wifi being off weather / facebook etc... might TRY to connect to the servers to update?

Don't have facebook set up for any notifications or sync. No weather widget either going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

My update was 21mb too.

Did anyone elses fail using Cwm?

Chet T16 wrote: »
    My update was 21mb too.

I was told not to update OTA if your rooted as it can brick the phone if it's fails?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Don't have facebook set up for any notifications or sync. No weather widget either going on.

Just because you don't have a widget sty up doesn't mean it's not happening, might be worth checking in Accounts & Sync

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

My update was 21mb too.

You need to disable signature verification in CWM for the update to be flashed! :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    My update was 21mb too.

You need to disable signature verification in CWM for the update to be flashed! :)

If I update ota while rooted will I lose my root and/or settings? Will it wipe the phone?

Zagato wrote: »

Just because you don't have a widget sty up doesn't mean it's not happening, might be worth checking in Accounts & Sync

I've nothing set to sync in accounts and sync. I've even the sync tab in notifications sett to off.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

i cant get the bluetooth visible to other devices? is it like the iphone with no bluetooth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Did anyone here get a device from Three that had the seal broken?

Thanks!

If I update ota while rooted will I lose my root and/or settings? Will it wipe the phone?

If you rooted it with cf-root in the first place, then you should be fine to update the f/w without losing root according to xda :)

My update was 21mb too.

I considered that but thought if anything would have a valid signature it would be an OTA?

I've saved my update.zip, i'm not sure if it's any use to anyone tho?

I considered that but thought if anything would have a valid signature it would be an OTA?

I'm not sure it would be an issue to be honest.
    You could always (and should anyway) do a backup before the update!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

vicM wrote: »
    as far as i know, happens when you port your number eg you were on meteor originally hence have an 085 number, if you port to three and bring over your number your Sim will still show your three number though you are using your 085
    That cannot really be helped AFAIK, its to do with the SIM not the phone.

You can't fix it from the S3 , but it can be changed - most older (non smart phone) Sony Ericssons have an option in the settings to update "My Number" .

If you have one or have access to one via friends and family it's a quick job to change. - Although the micro-sim might prove a challenge to hold in place..

It doesn't really make a huge difference - There are a few applications (chat/messaging) that use that info to display ownership so you might get some benefits from the change.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I had a similar problem on my Nexus S - Drove me mental trying to find the cause...Eventually in my case I tracked it down to location settings through the news application.

I didn't have any widgets active , but what was happening was that the news app kept trying to determine my location to customise the news feed and that was killing the battery - I turned off the "Allow Google to use your location data for improved results" option and my battery life improved dramatically..

Might not be the problem in your case , but worth a look..

Quin_Dub wrote: »

I had a similar problem on my Nexus S - Drove me mental trying to find the cause...Eventually in my case I tracked it down to location settings through the news application.

I didn't have any widgets active , but what was happening was that the news app kept trying to determine my location to customise the news feed and that was killing the battery - I turned off the "Allow Google to use your location data for improved results" option and my battery life improved dramatically..

Might not be the problem in your case , but worth a look..

Where can I turn off google location data?

Edit. Found it. Was already off. Still looking for something :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

My update was 21mb too.

Hmm still no update for me..

• Advertisement

I'm not sure it would be an issue to be honest.
    You could always (and should anyway) do a backup before the update!
    Update failed with signature verification off too.

Meh, can't imagine I'm missing much

Advertisement