Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pink 'Ladies' GAA Jerseys-Why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't even own a Kerry jersey. I actually only found out that Kerry game was on yesterday when someone asked to turn it on in work even-though it was taking place 10 minutes down the road :o

Anyway, don't really like pink. Don't really care either way. It's just a money making thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭iffy_2007

I have one & guess what? I bought it because I like it!!! I got mine of the ladies county board, our ladies county team get a percentage of the profits. I feel by wearing the pink jersey I am supporting the ladies team, i know they use them as training tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

iffy_2007 wrote: »
    I have one & guess what? I bought it because I like it!!! I got mine of the ladies county board, our ladies county team get a percentage of the profits. I feel by wearing the pink jersey I am supporting the ladies team, i know they use them as training tops.

Probably about 5%. O Neills are the ones making money I'm afraid.

Is it not a bit sexist???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Samich wrote: »
    Is it not a bit sexist???????

Not unless they are refusing to sell the normal tops to women or the pink tops to men...

Not unless they are refusing to sell the normal tops to women or the pink tops to men...

It is described as a ladies jersey? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Anything with the crest of a club is the club's colours, tbh...

In the past three years at Rovers, there's a blue goalkeeper jersey, yellow goalkeeper jersey, grey goalkeeper jersey, black goalkeeper jersey, purple goalkeeper jersey, pink Dublin derby special edition jersey, black away jersey, the current black and purple away jersey, a purple away jersey, a green away jersey, a white away jersey, a yellow away jersey...none of them the green and white Hooped 'club colours'.

And they're all seen at games by either gender and they all represent Rovers, nothing else.

Samich wrote: »
    It is described as a ladies jersey? ;)

Are you complaining that you can't get your favourite county top in pink?

They also have MissGAA products and For Him/For Her sections on their site. :eek:

Logic would dictate it's probably for search/navigation purposes & based on demand rather than any great drive to discriminate based on gender.

Are you complaining that you can't get your favourite county top in pink?

They also have MissGAA products and For Him/For Her sections on their site. :eek:

Logic would dictate it's probably for search/navigation purposes & based on demand rather than any great drive to discriminate based on gender.

Nope :D

Just it's the equal of having a womens jersey with a sandwich on the front or something :)

Samich banned from The Ladies Lounge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Too soccer-y in my humble opinion. The Kilkenny one is quite nice though, - black and pink go well together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Personally I wouldnt wear one as I'm proud to be a Dubs supporter and wear my colours with pride! However I did see lots of little girls wearing them at Croker yesterday and I thought it was very cute! I know my nieces would defo pick a pink jersey over a blue of green one and I dont see the problem with it.

I havent actually seen a grown woman in one but sure each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Greenduck wrote: »

I havent actually seen a grown woman in one but sure each to their own!

Must say there was quite a few at the Donegal/Down match!

Personally, I've nothing against them only a dislike for the colour pink and the few moments extra it takes to find out whether or not they're for or against :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Just when I thought those monstrosities couldn't get any worse... bigger eyesore than before *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If they released blue jerseys "for the boys" people would think it was stupid as it wasn't the right colour, why does pink get a pass as a bit of fun? I would have thought county colours would be pretty important in a sport as parochial as GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I really don't like those jerseys but then again I hate the colour pink.

On one hand, I think the point of county colours is so that in a crowd, you can see who is supporting which team. I can imagine the thrill for players when they walk out and see a sea of their supporters in their colours. So the badge and supporter logo on a pink shirt wouldn't be visible, it would just be a pink dot in a sea of *insert county colour here*.

On the other hand I have a county fleece which is navy, although I wouldn't wear that to a match, I'd wear my county colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Sorry guys and gals, but I just can't see this as a bit of 'fun'.

Women's sports and women sport spectators aren't really taken seriously, and I really think a seperate pink 'supporters' top for women buy's into this notion. Its like women are more interested in what colour top they're wearing, than the team and the sport they've come to watch. If you really are a true supporter, you will wear you're county colours, and not some overpriced genderist fashion accessory.

One of the reason's I love GAA so much is women players and spectators are treated with respect, unlike rugby and soccer. These pink tops just make women look vain.

panda100 wrote: »

Women's sports and women sport spectators aren't really taken seriously, and I really think a seperate pink 'supporters' top for women buy's into this notion. Its like women are more interested in what colour top they're wearing, than the team and the sport they've come to watch. If you really are a true supporter, you will wear you're county colours, and not some overpriced genderist fashion accessory.

One of the reason's I love GAA so much is women players and spectators are treated with respect, unlike rugby and soccer. These pink tops just make women look vain.

What do you mean?

In years of going to football and rugby games I haven't experienced any disrespect so not sure what you mean there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I would wear a pink jersey the Clare colours are mank.

I however dont go to matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Nobody is making the women who buy these wear them. Nobody is stopping you wearing your county colours. There is clearly a market for them and it's not really your place to tell women that they make all women look vain. Some people like pink. I wouldn't wear one but doesn't bother me if someone else does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

As a guy I really don't understand why products have to be "womanised" (my word! :D) or made appealing to women by creating pink versions.

As young kids there is the whole blue for the boys, pink for girls thing. Typically though the whole blue for boys seems to stop in the teenage years but pink for girls continues into adulthood.

As a male the whole pink thing seems a little condescending when aimed towards adult women, almost treating them like kids. Although, being adults its womens choice on what they want to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Forgive my ignorance because I have no knowledge of GAA tops but if women are wearing pink do they not all look the same?

Surely part of the reason for wearing your teams shirt is to stand out as being a supporter of that team, if women wear a pink shirt how do you tell who is supporting which side. :confused:

If I was a supporter I would always wear the official kit.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Different situation altogether - if I am right in assuming that you are from Dublin, then the jersey is actually the Dublin ladies gaelic rather than Dublin. I'm involved at county board level, and we get no profit from the jersies that we are on about here, which are these ones I'm fairly sure you are on about these ones

Given that its ladies GAA jersies, I'm going to jump right in, given where I stand with GAA. I don't see it as a slight on females sport at all, given that these jersies are targeted at female supporters of the males representing the counties. All the jersies are pink version of the male jersies. Some women are conscious of how they look, and would prefer to wear pink. I've seen a lot of younger girls wearing these jersies around the place. For the record, its the same price as the official jersey - it is a novelty factor for O Neills to try and promote jersies, a small niche in the market, and its obviously selling or else they would have taken them down. It is a novelty and a selling gimmick- for St Patricks day O Neills brought out green versions of every counties jersey.

It is a pink version of the official jersey - I'd have a big problem if they were making pink versions of the jersey with a major difference between what the mens one is and the female one is. Only difference is the colour. O Neills are now carrying the official ladies jersies of some county teams, which is a bigger step than the pink jersies. I agree that supporters should be wearing their county jersey and county colours - but I don't see an issue with women or men for that matter wearing pink jersies with their county's crest and sponsor on it.

Your quote about how you love the GAA because women players are treated with respect baffles me - can I ask what county you are referring to or is it in general? I'm involved with ladies football for the past ten years at this stage, and in the administration side of things for about 4/5 years, and I can tell you that its not the case from what I can see, and the disrespect is coming from within the GAA. The one club model that the GAA are promoting won't make any difference to the grass roots members - trying to get pitches for training and games, ladies clubs having to pay the mens club for the use of facilities, mens teams taking precedence over ladies teams no matter what. This has been my experience in general, but there are a number of clubs where the person in the ladies football club is also involved in the mens, which makes things easier.

If the GAA respected the ladies organisation, then why do the Ladies Gaelic Football Association have to pay to use Croke Park on All Ireland final day??? I'd take more issue in all counties, male and female not supporting the ladies teams in general than O Neills releasing a pink jersey for supporters to wear. I was at a Munster final, if there was more than 600 at it, I'd be surprised - a provincial final that had senior and intermediate teams playing. It just so happened that Waterford were in the intermediate, and the senior hurlers were playing the following day, Cork hurlers were playing that evening in Thurles I think. In fact, I met a number of supporters who if they did not have a bus booked to the ladies game, would have gone to the hurling.

To answer your original question about why - O Neills saw a niche in the market for "female" jersies and went with it as a marketing gimmick, and its working. Its still a jersey supporting the wearer's county as it has the sponsor and the official crest of the county, just not in the counties colours. Some people don't like wearing their counties colours, so O Neills came out with a different colour

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

eviltwin wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance because I have no knowledge of GAA tops but if women are wearing pink do they not all look the same?

Surely part of the reason for wearing your teams shirt is to stand out as being a supporter of that team, if women wear a pink shirt how do you tell who is supporting which side. :confused:

If I was a supporter I would always wear the official kit.

Same sponsor and same crest as the home jersey - the pink is actually official kit, since it is manufactured by O Neills

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

if you have the Dublin crest and Arnotts/Vodafone written on the front, is there any doubt about who you are supporting? As someone who is vehemently anti-GAA and couldn't tell the difference between a full forward and a 45, even I'd know who the person wearing it was supporting, blue or pink colours..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

A lot of people are taking issue with the fact that its a "ladies" jersey - the reason its labelled as such is because of the cut, there are also ladies versions of the original colours, same happens in rugby. Presumably oneills didnt launch a mens version as they dont anticipate enough demand - not sure if the average middle aged GAA man would be seen in a Stade Francais style jersey.

Interestingly, Kilkenny have 2 pink jerseys (black +pink and dark pink + light pink)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭iffy_2007

Different situation altogether - if I am right in assuming that you are from Dublin, then the jersey is actually the Dublin ladies gaelic rather than Dublin. I'm involved at county board level, and we get no profit from the jersies that we are on about here, which are these ones I'm fairly sure you are on about these ones

Nope not from Dublin & yes it is the actual ladies jersey with the LGFA logo & county crest on it.

Nope not from Dublin & yes it is the actual ladies jersey with the LGFA logo & county crest on it.

Thats fair enough - but the pink jersies with the men's logos have no money going back to the LGFA board of the county

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Saw an ad in the paper for the Waterford pink jersies and for every sale a contribution is going to Breast cancer research. Altho its Azzuri who make our jersies id assume O Neills are doing the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I love pink and wear a lot of it, but I'm a massive Leinster fan and when I'm at a match, I wear blue and nothing else. Canterbury do have a range of pink Leinster gear, but I really, really don't see the point in it. Why support a team and then wear a colour that's not part of any of their strips?

Advertisement