Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could this spell the start of the end for FF

• 25-02-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

In the latest poll it looks like Michael Martins personal rating has dropped sharply, while FF remains to lose support due to it's widespread unpopularity

Their brand of whinge politics does not seem to be working.

The bad news is that Sinn Fein is making huge gains

http://rte.ie/news/2012/0225/politics.html

Hopefully this spells the start of end of FF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

raymon wrote: »
    In the latest poll it looks like Michael Martin personal rating has dropped sharply, while FF remains to lose support due to it's widespread unpopularity

rte.ie/news/2012/0225/politics.html

Hmm, I think this poll should have Eamon Gilmore more worried than Martin!

FF
    General election 17.6%
    Now - 16%

Labour
    General Election - 19.6%
    Now - 10%

Sinn Fein
    General Election 9.9%
    Now - 25%

This actually looks like Labour is losing vote share to SF, not FF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Government junior partner taking a beating as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

In the latest poll it looks like Michael Martin personal rating has dropped sharply, while FF remains to lose support due to it's widespread unpopularity

http://rte.ie/news/2012/0225/politics.html

FF should have been finished after bringing the country to the point that the IMF had to be called in. That is the ultimate failure. That along with their traditional corruption and cronyism that has been their stock in trade for my entire life that has led the country to the brink of bankruptcy on more than one occasion is reason enough for their demise.
    However people still voted for them and almost voted that FF'er Gallagher in to the Aras. Never underestimate the unsophisticated,parochial,insular electorate in this country.
    They should be dead and buried,but they're not.
    SF getting the votes with empty promises and vague barstool republicanism is basically what FF have been doing for decades.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Labour, dealing with economic issues is one aspect but they seem to have a rare inability to turn the handling of minor social mis-steps into PR storms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I agree.... the numbers are not that bad for FF (all things considered)

Its the Labour party thats haemoraging support.

The SF figure does look very soft though, I doubt it would translate on a given election day.

What is certain though, Sinn Fein are now the de-facto opposition in the Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Heard an ad for tomorrows spindo. John Drennan cliaming that this was the best government we have ever had:confused:
    Doing there best to prop up the gov til FF get there house in order.

SF are the only real opposition party no surprise to see them doing so well.

would be great to see the end of FF

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

I agree.... the numbers are not that bad for FF (all things considered)

Its the Labour party thats haemoraging support.

The SF figure does look very soft though, I doubt it would translate on a given election day.

What is certain though, Sinn Fein are now the de-facto opposition in the Dail.

I'd never vote for FF but I'm disappointed with FG and Lab. SF are looking like the only viable alternative. It could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

You'd have to take that poll with a very large pinch of salt.
    Their previous one had SF on 21% already, so it's methodology would be questionable. And there's a 3.3% margin of error.

That said, I hope it is a continuing trend, with SF emmerging as the main opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

It makes my flesh creep to think that SF will ever form part of a government in this State but at this stage it looks inevitable. Labour deserve no better than what they are getting, they have betrayed their constituency. I would have expected no different from FG, even in good times they would have behaved the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Hmm, I think this poll should have Eamon Gilmore more worried than Martin!

FF
    General election 17.6%
    Now - 16%

Labour
    General Election - 19.6%
    Now - 10%

Sinn Fein
    General Election 9.9%
    Now - 25%

This actually looks like Labour is losing vote share to SF, not FF

Comparing the poll in December , FF is down 4 . Michael Martin is down 7%.

However Labour is not doing well either for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

All polls have had FF consistently on 16 - 18%, so nothing new in that regards.

FF will not start to rise until after the organisation has been reformed, and a lot is riding on next weekends Ard Fheis.

Also, if you think FF were bad wait until you see SF in government! Although on the other hand, if SF were to enter government tomorrow the party would be obliterated at a subsequent election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Although I would be biased, I nonetheless doubt the findings of the poll.

If the worst comes to the worst and Sinn Fein really are ahead, I wouldn't be of the opinion that they should be "given enough rope to hang themselves." Russia and Germany suffered considerably from the fringe political nut-jobs getting their foot in the door.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Although I would be biased, I nonetheless doubt the findings of the poll.

If the worst comes to the worst and Sinn Fein really are ahead, I wouldn't be of the opinion that they should be "given enough rope to hang themselves." Russia and Germany suffered considerably from the fringe political nut-jobs getting their foot in the door.

Well the sample size is 900 and has a margin of error of 3.3%, so it is questionable.

The poll to watch will be next weekends RedC poll - that will give us a very accurate picture as to the position of the political parties one year on from the GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

completely disillusioned with party politics - it's all one giant reach around.
    meanwhile they're starting the firesale on our countries assests- most of FF should have been jailed let alone reformed - next victim!

All polls have had FF consistently on 16 - 18%, so nothing new in that regards.

FF will not start to rise until after the organisation has been reformed, and a lot is riding on next weekends Ard Fheis.

Also, if you think FF were bad wait until you see SF in government! Although on the other hand, if SF were to enter government tomorrow the party would be obliterated at a subsequent election.

Not true

Their last S&A poll was 20% in Dec for the times

Comparing apples with apples this represents 4% drop for FF

Not true

Their last S&A poll was 20% in Dec for the times

Comparing apples with apples this represents 4% drop for FF

And I am comparing them to regular polls, such as the RedC, which has had FF on 16%.

There is nothing new in this - we all knew FF was not on 20%. It certainly is not a surprise to FF members anyways, who are not really even expecting the party to be all that much north of 20% a year from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

SF would say anything if they thought it would be received well by the public at large - getting power is what matters.

They would be a disaster for the country. That Mary Lou one makes my skin crawl. They will always put their indoctrinated ideology above all else, but we wouldn't be the first country to let such a party rule them, especially in difficult times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

smcgiff wrote: »
    SF would say anything if they thought it would be received well by the public at large - getting power is what matters.

They would be a disaster for the country. That Mary Lou one makes my skin crawl. They will always put their indoctrinated ideology above all else, but we wouldn't be the first country to let such a party rule them, especially in difficult times.

Lol. Yes, because this isn't the mantra of FF or FG. Only Sinn Fein. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Good loser

FF will have to let another few years ellapse before they can regain their voters.

Their simple minded oppositional politics at the moment (M Martin ?) is doing them no favours.

I'd say if they had supported nearly every Govt initiative for the first three years and then drifted away to opposition - more in sorrow than anger - they would maximise their support at next election.

Border-Rat wrote: »
    Lol. Yes, because this isn't the mantra of FF or FG. Only Sinn Fein. :rolleyes:

I agree - it's just that sf are so good at it.

• Advertisement

I agree - it's just that sf are so good at it.

If they're so good at it, they'd be in power. FG are using, according to you, the same dogma. Care to explain that fallacy or are you just vehemently anyone-but-SF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

SF are looking like the only viable alternative. It could happen.
    SF and who?

or are you just vehemently anyone-but-SF?

In case there is ANY doubt I'm most certainly anyone but Sf.

And as for not being in government, to be fair to sf it's going to take time to fully transform from the mouthpiece of a murderous terrorist organisation.

Also, no matter how slick they are I'm hoping there's enough sanity in the Irish yet.

In case there is ANY doubt I'm most certainly anyone but Sf.

And as for not being in government, to be fair to sf it's going to take time to fully transform from the mouthpiece of a murderous terrorist organisation.

Also, no matter how slick they are I'm hoping there's enough sanity in the Irish yet.

This rant doesn't answer the question. You insinuate that Sinn Fein and Fine Gael flip-flop and lie to gain power. But you say that Sinn Fein are better at it, yet they're not in power. So evidently, by your own logic, FG are more guilty of this.

Personally, I love this news. It turns the face of partitionists beet-red with anger. Partitionists, little Englanders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Partitionists, little Englanders etc.

Enough of that, thanks.

Br,

I don't follow your logic, and I'm certainly not going to waste any time trying to.

You don't have look to the roi for partitisionists - what with a large majority (incl. Catholics) of the population of NI being so inclined.

I'm very much in favour of a UI, but only with the majority support of those within the six counties. And thats less likely with a sf in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The vast majority of us have already voted for sinn fein when we voted for the Good Friday Agreement. were we happy to impose SF on the people of N.I. but declare them unworthy to even contest an election in this state? the hypocrisy in baffling. and dont fool ourselves into thinking that N.I. was a "different situation" and there was no alternative.
    S.F. continue to make progress because of the popularity of the likes of Pearse Doherty.
    Next weeks RedC will be very interesting indeed.
    the sooner FF are driven into oblivion the better.

washman3 wrote: »
    The vast majority of us have already voted for sinn fein when we voted for the Good Friday Agreement.
    What a load of Boll ix.

However, we do agree on your last statement.

And the FF whinging continues .

This time they are complaining that Rte has a bias against them.

In their arrogance the don't realise that 84% of the country has a bias against them, except for 16% and a few FF shills in the Irish Independent and one in the Irish Times.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rte-news-bias-favours-laboursf-ff-inquiry-3031981.html

Come on Fianna Fail , when will your whinging stop

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

For utter incompetence and institutional corruption ff should be disappearing from the political scene.

Yet they still get 16% in a poll.

We will not have a proper politcal future until we mature enough as a country to send ff into the dustbin of history as their behaviour deserves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement