Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on laptop screen failure

• 11-01-2008 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Attached is an image of a laptop my little brother owns. The screen grew dim and then eventually ended up being a distorted light blue transmitting no image.

It works on an external display so there is something wrong with the screen that I hope I can maybe fix with some quick purchases on EBay but I was hoping you might be able to help me troubleshoot it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Buy a new screen on ebay? Who butchered the front panel? Screens are a delicate part of the laptop and if its not the backlight thats gone then theres not much you can do to fix it really I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

If I can't do a better diagnosis than the screen if feckered I will of course buy a new one but I was wondering if that symptom of blotching blue instead of an image implies that some particular component is busted, like an inverter or whatever?

Any ideas anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

You say it grew dim before totally going blue, could be an indication of the backlight failing but if that was the only part that failed the screen would be black, and you would still be faintly able to see windows etc. Its a weird problem alright , laptop looks like a HP/Compaq HC1010 or similar model so replacement screens should be pretty cheap as they were pretty popular business laptops and should have plenty of spares available.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,622 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not the telltale signs of a backlight problem but if youve already got the case open getting a new bulb for maintenance sake isnt a bad move...

make sure its not the monitor cable the ribbon cable that runs into the screen could have gone brittle - thats what it looks like to me anyway. Hard to say without motion video. wanna upload on youtube pour moi ?? Does the screen get worse/better as the lid is pivoted?

How old is the laptop? might cost more to repair than to replace with a new machine if it really is the screen.

if it was a fault in the raster (digital to analog throughput) on the MoBo youd receive fault warnings with beeps or similar. else try to hook up an external monitor to look through your hardware settings in the control panel to make sure your hardware is in fact running properly on the digital end of things (which will indicate a physical hardware fault and potentially where - im not implying its a driver issue obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Thanks for the help with this guys.

It initially grew dim and my little brother could get an image by tilting it this way and then that. But I wasn't around to see how rapidly it descended into the blue screen. The screen now doesn't change if the monitor is pivoted.

It is a HP Compaq NC4000. There are screens and other devices readily available on Ebay so I might just hazard the €50 and replace the monitor in one go.

I did a big run through on the bios screens and nothing seemed to be awry. I guess I was hoping that you could all look at the picture and just go, "Oh yeah! That's the manifold variable intake bus that needs to be replaced". Instead it seems to be a strange occurance. Bummer for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Excelsior wrote: »
    if that symptom of blotching blue instead of an image implies that some particular component is busted, like an inverter or whatever?

"Oh yeah! That's the manifold variable intake bus that needs to be replaced"..

Lol...

Screens are very tricky unfortunately, most times you need to buy a new one. Weird error, looks like something has worn away/been pulled at too much. Probably a flux capacitor.

Advertisement