Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nybody left school to study??

• 08-05-2005 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

I left school last wednesday to study for two days. I felt that I got nice bit done. I studied from 9.00 till 4.00 everyday with an hour 4 lunch. I am considering not going back at all and staying home to study until the exams start. I will miss 3wks of school.
    Im not too sure if it is a good idea or not?Has anybody else done this or plan on doing it?
    What does anyone that has done the leaving think, yey or ney?

Thanks,
    Hakko

Comments

• I was planning to take the last month off, cos I haven't finished most of my courses yet, so I hope I get to take the last week off at least. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bad idea. Most teachers will often give stuff away, and help cram it in. Best advice; talk to your teachers, say that you've done it on a trial basis, and that it worked. Then ask on their comments. The good teachers may advise you on what to study, etc.

=-=

Off topic, but I found the topic funny, as in "Nybody left school to study??" "anybody" was spelt wrongly.

• the_syco wrote:
    Bad idea. Most teachers will often give stuff away, and help cram it in. Best advice; talk to your teachers, say that you've done it on a trial basis, and that it worked. Then ask on their comments. The good teachers may advise you on what to study, etc.

=-=

Off topic, but I found the topic funny, as in "Nybody left school to study??" "anybody" was spelt wrongly.

All of my teachers advised me to take the last couple of weeks off, as they did it themselves and found it very helpful. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I was planning to take the last month off, cos I haven't finished most of my courses yet, so I hope I get to take the last week off at least. :(

I still haven't covered all the material yet either (not even once) so I really need to stay in school for a while longer at least. It wouldn't particularly benefit me to stay home from school alot cos I work a lot better at night, however I did take a few days off recently to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It might be a good idea to take the last week or so off, but I wouldn't recommend starting now. People in my class who did that last year ended up coming back for the last week cause they had lost focus being on their own, in school we were doing exam Qs, Q&A sessions and studied, e.g. if we had biology scheduled we went into the lab but we studied while the bio teacher was there and she corrected exam Qs we did or she answered Qs any of us came up with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

ive been studying at home since the day after the orals finished. I find it much better, for example, i was screwed for history but now ive learnt off most of my essays! It suits some better than others, imo i dont see a point in being in class when i have already finished my course and i found it hard to study around others!

i would recommend taking off the last few weeks! But have someone there to motivate you to study because its sometimes easy to just watch tv!! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I finish school on Wednesday so there's no point in me taking the last few days off really. When does everyone else get study leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

thanks, for that.
    I think i will go back so for another week and then leave. If i leave once tho' im not allowed come back until the exams.
    Hakko

• Fishie wrote:
    I finish school on Wednesday so there's no point in me taking the last few days off really. When does everyone else get study leave?

You're finished on Wednesday?! :eek:

I'm finished 6 days before the LC starts! :(

You're finished on Wednesday?! :eek:
    Yeah, it's our study leave. It's nice because it means we have three and a half weeks where we can study ourselves, but if we want to come in and work in school/mee up with the teachers we can

• Advertisement

well i left, but the rest of my year arnt finished until the end of may! when is your graduation?what are you doin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Fishie wrote:

What school is that?

How has your school avoided the Standardised School Year?

Your school will get into a lot of bother with the DES for giving a group of students that amount of time off. Court cases galore.....my Johnny didn't get a fair chance as Mary up the road was in school for three weeks more than he was. I rest my case m'lud - bring on the claims.

Our graduation is on the 26th May, we all come back into school that evening in our nice clothes and have some sort of do with our parents and teachers, and then afterwards our entire year is going out

ye im doing the exact same thing, we arnt in the same school are we?! :D We have to wear the damn uniforms then go home, get changed then drink...so much effort!!

I'm in St. Andrew's in Blackrock, I don't know how they get around the standardised school year but I know other schools that are finishing early too. Most seem to be finishing the 20th May though. I mean Wednesday is our last day of class - Thursday is sports day and Friday is our last school day so nothing will get done at all

• You think your graduations are bad? All we're doing is a fricking mass!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

We are finishing on the Wed 18th - so have exactly three weeks (which isn't too bad really). Still have a few more topics to do in Bio (actually, a lot more) German, Irish. They have just stopped giving us weekly tests, cuz they want to free up some time to study for other stuff (it just means I won't study the stuff at all!!). The whole studying at home thing wouldn't really work for me - lack of motivation - I need a bit of pressure! The only reason I've kinda startin studying at this stage is because I'm really worried about Biology cuz we haven't finished the course and I don't know all the new stuff we are flying through!

Neway... yeah so we have our grad thing wed week - can't wait!! Everyone gets dressed up in suits and summery dresses etc., we have a service then dinner (we have a kitchen in my school its a boarding school) with all our parents and teachers, and then we are all getting a bus into a club in town. Yeah!

:)

Im finished school on the 27th of may and our grad mass is on that night.we have the best part of two weeks on study leave but I think I will leave after this week. I will check it out when i go back.

Hakko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Taking the odd day off (today) just to get some extra cramming in and then going in for classes I need.
    I was down at the Library earlier...the thing was packed at 10:00.

yea that sounds like the best idea..taking a day or two off here and there and then going back in to get help from teachers..In my school that wont work.If i or anyone else decides to take a day off they are not welcome back until the exams start.
    Im going back tommorow for the rest of the week and then I might leave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement