Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There should be an 'obscure games nobody cares about playing' forum just so things like Child of Eden don't dissapear off the Games first page in a day :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And meanwhile people lap up junk like Dead Island like the zombies they are (I just really have something against Dead Island even though I've never played it :P)!

Speaking of Child of Eden, its going for 24.99 in Gamestop already. The fast descent into obscurity has claimed it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That put me on a real downer when I saw it reduced so much in HMV :(

Not just because I paid full whack, but also because it's a sure sign it's not being bought.

While on the other hand Duke Nukem Forever, second hand, was either a little bit more expensive or the same price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Even if it is cheaper now, I'm glad I picked it up full price too. It gives me a sense of smug moral satisfacition :p Plus, it came with a cool t-shirt!

But Duke Nukem forever is getting heavily discounted too - it's already around 20 euro in shops, and play-asia were fobbing it off for something like ten-fifteen euro a few weeks after release. The only thing more effective than being great and Japanese at getting the RRP reduced? Being a piece of ****. Call of Juarez and Brink (although the latter is meant to be interesting if not entirely successful) are also bound to trick unsuspecting purchasers at their new "even-at-twenty-you're-paying-too-much" price points!

I'm going to hold and wait to see if El Shaddai drops in the next few weeks - really want a copy but 50 euro is a bit too high at the moment. And I'm frustrated Yakuza 4 is still going for the RRP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I just really have something against Dead Island even though I've never played it :P

It's not Japanese?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Great news for Ys fans! (So me and Johnny Ultimate then). Ys 4 remake coming to Vita with the Ys Seven engine!

Add me to that exclusive list, even if I haven't given any of the games my full attention yet. Persona 3 Portable is hogging all my time still, though will have it beat by the weekend if stupid things like teaching and my PhD don't get in the way :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I might actually buy DNF for 15 out of morbid curiosity. Someone please remind me that I'd be better off getting ghost trick for 25!

I might actually buy DNF for 15 out of morbid curiosity. Someone please remind me that I'd be better off getting ghost trick for 25!

Tut tut, what will your mother say? :p

EnterNow wrote: »
    It's not Japanese?

Mainly because its another dodgy derivative zombie game that just seems to rip off vastly superior games and films. Plus, the characters are appallingly racist and sexist stereotypes, which there really isn't any need for these days.
    And also obviously because it lacks a Japanese audio option.

Mainly because its another dodgy derivative zombie game that just seems to rip off vastly superior games and films. Plus, the characters are appallingly racist and sexist stereotypes, which there really isn't any need for these days.
    And also obviously because it lacks a Japanese audio option.

Sounds like fun :)

Not every game has to be a cinematic masterpiece, with a fully orchestrated score, and have a story so deep you could drown in. Obviously those are good...but sometimes, it's fun to let a video game just make no sense & provide purely entertainment value.

Dead Island does indeed look generic...but masterpieces are few & far between these days that 90% of releases are generic. Also, I don't like COD nor do I own it (just to pre-empt the if you don't slate mainstream games you must be a COD lover brigade :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

You'd be better off getting ghost trick for 25.

Seriously though, great game. As a single game it beats out any of the Phoenix wright ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not every game has to be a cinematic masterpiece, with a fully orchestrated score, and have a story so deep you could drown in. Obviously those are good...but sometimes, it's fun to let a video game just make no sense & provide purely entertainment value.

Dead Island does indeed look generic...but masterpieces are few & far between these days that 90% of releases are generic. Also, I don't like COD nor do I own it (just to pre-empt the if you don't slate mainstream games you must be a COD lover brigade :))

I find I've far too many great games to waste time on merely average ones. If I do waste time on an average one it will at least have to be interesting like Nier. It's more that games like Dead Island getting to number 1 in the charts while really good games like Vanquish get ignored is annoying but sure it's the same with Music and Cinema, the well promoted **** gets to the top of the charts and you have to hunt around for the really good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Ah... it's just doing so well because there's been a particularly big drought of big new releases over the summer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    There should be an 'obscure games nobody cares about playing' forum just so things like Child of Eden don't dissapear off the Games first page in a day :(

Just be careful not to call them "cult" as it really pisses some peeps off! ;)

I never suggested anything of the sort! 'Cinematic' actually is a word games should be actively avoiding! Dumb fun is always welcome - Gears of War is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I will certainly be picking up GoW3 next week. I just think anyone company who wants a quick buck post Dawn of the Dead / Shaun of the Dead can **** out any old zombie crap and the zombie fans will lap it up. Of course, we get some good stuff (Left 4 Dead) but lots and lots of rubbish. And an awful lot of trustworthy sources I've heard Dead Island is middling to poor, so I think its safely avoided. Although I do raise an eyebrow anytime I hear someone defending it with the phrase "It's not perfect but..." :pac:

High standards aren't a bad thing, in some ways. There's so many great games, music, films, art out there that settling for generic junk can be a bit defeatist. We all just want to turn off our brains sometimes. But doing that with incompetent or average material isn't for me!

And when you want a game that doesn't make any sense, there's always Katamari :)

Zombies in games are the new lens flare. It's getting ridiculous how many zombie games there are, especially the ones that are trying to ride a dead meme. Like a few years ago when we had ninjas vs. pirates everywhere. How hi-larious.

George Romero was right! The somewhat delicious ironing is that the zombie obsessives are the zombies themselves, buying into the 'craze' which is little more than a cash ploy. When was the last truly brilliant zombie film or game? That its polluting numerous games - like CoD or Red Dead - that don't need zombies is the worst thing of all. That said, the Yakuza zombie game is pleasantly bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Sera wrote: »
    ADVENTURE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

According to PocketGamer Cave are releasing a "social" game for Vita and an original shooting game. Hopefully this is a kick ass shmup. I'll believe it when I see it and we losers in the west may not even get a release.

Source of all sources

The developer behind popular shooters DeathSmiles, Dodonpachi Resurrection, and Mushihimesama Bug Panic has announced that it will be releasing titles for Sony's upcoming portable powerhouse, PS Vita.

The developer's maiden Vita release will be a location-based, samurai-themed social title by the name of Shirotsuku, which will see you become a warlord in the Sengoku period of Japanese history.

You'll be able to use the Vita's geo-location services to 'check-in' and collect exclusive souvenirs from your surroundings. These can then be used to construct over 400 unique buildings based on your geographical data.

An in-game currency – awarded according to the distance traveled between check-ins – can be used to instruct your townsfolk to build structures on your behalf.

You can then show-off to your buddies, trade souvenirs, and connect to social networks in order to find more friends.

Back to basics

Cave has also announced that it's releasing an 'original shooting game' to take advantage of the PS Vita's feature set.

We don't have any other information about the game, but we assume it will support the Vita's rear touchpad and in-built gyroscope.

More info as we get it.

The social game might be a port of SMT: Imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Fao Sera

Green Game Boy for sale

Bumpy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Right time for a nice cup of hot Chocolate hop into a nice warm bed and take it out and have the most fun i can have on my own................

Playing Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations on the Ds:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Right time for a nice cup of hot Boulderdash hop into a nice warm Boulderdash and take Boulderdash out and have the most Boulderdash i can have on my own................
    Playing Boulderdash:)
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Anyone know where I can get Atari replacement parts? Google doesn't seem to b e much of a big help here; planning to restore a 520ST I found recently..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Anyone know where I can get Atari replacement parts? Google doesn't seem to b e much of a big help here; planning to restore a 520ST I found recently..
    asking over on atariage would probably be the best guess.
    or possibly ebay for parts. Theres places like amigakit for the amiga , I'm suprised theres no atari equivilant,

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I dont think ive ever seen a game look so pretty :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Mega Chin wrote: »
    super_boxing_02.gif

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

asking over on atariage would probably be the best guess.
    or possibly ebay for parts. Theres places like amigakit for the amiga , I'm suprised theres no atari equivilant,

I think Best Electronics is what the guys on AA use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Mega Chin wrote: »

I drooled. The second the first translation guide shows up, I'm importing this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement