Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Stephen Ferris just tweeted: "And so another journey begins..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Enigmatic. Like your revision schedule.....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

...or he's just trying to get out of the one way system in Lisburn or the roundabouts at Sprucefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm hoping he's on his way to training or to the shop or just to visit a brazzer....anything other than bad news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

jacothelad wrote: »
    I don't see why Kidney would want Payne at 13 ahead of a guy who can actually play for Ireland now as opposed to maybe 18 months away when hopefully Kidney will be long gone. Also why would Kidney want Bowe at 15 when he has Zebo there if needed, Earls, Noddy, Hurley, Big Agnes, the Munster Tea lady, the fat bird who howls before the games at Thomond and then Dave Kearney. Also Big Bro Kearney will be back soon.

Someone who usually has some good info on RR made this claim Jaco. Apparently Deccie sees Payne as the long term Irish 13. I have to say that some of it doesn't add up, for a start Payne isn't eligible for 18 months, secondly he hasn't committed to Ireland afaik, thirdly Deccie may not even be coach in 18 months time so why would he be thinking that far ahead at the moment.

If anything if the call has come from Kidney (a call I expect to be ignored for the big games anyway) it will be more to do with getting Gilroy onto the team than playing Payne at 13.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I presume Ulster are heading over to Northampton today so they can train there tomorrow for the game on Friday evening?

Or do they head over on the night before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I don't see the point in playing Payne at 13 now, when he still has a long way to go to become eligible. But I would say, I agree, that he is the long term option at 13 for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

bilston wrote: »
    Someone who usually has some good info on RR made this claim Jaco. Apparently Deccie sees Payne as the long term Irish 13. I have to say that some of it doesn't add up, for a start Payne isn't eligible for 18 months, secondly he hasn't committed to Ireland afaik, thirdly Deccie may not even be coach in 18 months time so why would he be thinking that far ahead at the moment.

If anything if the call has come from Kidney (a call I expect to be ignored for the big games anyway) it will be more to do with getting Gilroy onto the team than playing Payne at 13.

Well...
    #1 If Cave doesn't play then Earls cannot be disputed as Bods successor for now.
    #2 Payne would become eligible not long after Bod's predicted retirement..

It's hard to second guess the man..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Personally I'd rather see him developed at 15. When he's eligible in 3 years time RK will be getting on, and he's already prone to injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

.ak wrote: »
    Personally I'd rather see him developed at 15. When he's eligible in 3 years time RK will be getting on, and he's already prone to injuries.

Payne(27) is older then Rob Kearney(26), he is quite injury prone though so another option would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Payne is eligible in 2 years time - he was here all of last season, just injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ah, didn't realize he was 27...

Ye it makes me question people's view that he can be a 'long term' option at 13, medium term(next world cup) sure but long term would be playing in the following world cup at which time he will be 34 which I think will be too old.

Just turned 27 it seems, so depending on when he would qualify he'll either still be 28 or just turned 29 if it's the 2014 November tests when he would first become eligible.

Either way he can't really be described as a long term option at either 13 or 15, he'd only have a year to play before the 2015 WC (which is time enough I suppose) and he's unlikely to make the 2019 WC.

Ye it makes me question people's view that he can be a 'long term' option at 13, medium term(next world cup) sure but long term would be playing in the following world cup at which time he will be 34 which I think will be too old.

By long term I meant he's our best option for the coming world cup. I try not to think of what our options at 13 will be for the WC in 2019. It's hard enough figuring out what it will be for the next 6N never mind in 6 years.

EDIT: Plus, he'll only be 29 during the WC. If he plays up till he's 32/33 (which he will probably do considering he hasn't played international rugby), then he'll be an option right up to the 2017/18 season, and it's not inconceivable that he could still be the best option when he's 34. I would call that a long term option....would you not?

Hagz wrote: »
    By long term I meant he's our best option for the coming world cup. I try not to think of what our options at 13 will be for the WC in 2019. It's hard enough figuring out what it will be for the next 6N never mind in 6 years.

I would view short term as this season, medium term as up to the next world cup, and long term beyond that.....

I would view short term as this season, medium term as up to the next world cup, and long term beyond that.....

Well like I said, he's got plenty of rugby to play beyond the next world cup, so I would definitely view him as a long term option.

Hagz wrote: »
    Well like I said, he's got plenty of rugby to play beyond the next world cup, so I would definitely view him as a long term option.

Ye your right we could get a couple of years out of him after the world cup, anyway regardless of his future Irish prospects he should be starting 15 for Ulster, not 13 IMO, for the time being anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

when is the team announced?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ye your right we could get a couple of years out of him after the world cup, anyway regardless of his future Irish prospects he should be starting 15 for Ulster, not 13 IMO, for the time being anyway.

Agreed, that said if he can get a few league games a season at 13 and maybe a couple on the wing too he could fill the role that Nacewa fills in Leinster of being a utility back, playing nearly every game and allowing the development of young talent at FB.

Ulster have a few good young talents across the backline but Peter Nelson is a FB and should get a chance to develop in that position

• Advertisement

Agreed, that said if he can get a few league games a season at 13 and maybe a couple on the wing too he could fill the role that Nacewa fills in Leinster of being a utility back, playing nearly every game and allowing the development of young talent at FB.

Ulster have a few good young talents across the backline but Peter Nelson is a FB and should get a chance to develop in that position

If he can become another Nacewa that would be fantastic because the great thing about Nacewa is that his versility allows him to be moved around to accommodate developing players in the league which means he doesnt stand in the way of youngsters getting gametime, so he effectively is without the negative effect of the NIQ. When I said Payne should play 15 I was talking about the big games(HEC + Leinster, Munster) so I agree about a few league games at 13.

leonard7 wrote: »
    when is the team announced?

99% sure it will be announced around about midday tomorrow.

bilston wrote: »

A poster on Ulster fans reported that Payne's family wanted him to move back to NZ during his recuperation from the season long injury last year but he refused because it would delay him becoming Irish eligible.

Not sure how accurate that was though.

surgery this morning
    http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11009.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Fuuuuuck. I do not like the sound of:
    Stephen will be reviewed in the coming weeks to establish an accurate time period for recovery and to assess when he will fit to return to play

That sounds like a season ender to me.

You think? I know its the glass man but I still think you are being a bit pessimistic. All injuries have to be assessed to see how long it will last. Might only be a month or two.

my guess is that its one of those that could go either way.

50% he'll feature in the six nations 50% he won't make it back till september.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

They said something similar about Best when he got injured recently, and he got back reasonably quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

So much for that tweet to be about going to Northampton!

I remember before the Fiji game that Donal Lenihan was saying that Ferris's injury was fairly serious and he'd be out for a fair bit.......and then he was interrupted!

• Advertisement

If Ferris misses the rest of the season and therefore misses the Lions tour it MAY be the price he has to pay to pkayun in the 2015 WC. Ulster are covered thanks to the emergence of Henderson and Ireland will be okay provided O'Brien is fit and of course they have the benefit of Henderson's emergence as well.

Then again he may be back by round 5 of the HEC!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement