Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Crap. But lol at the review directly underneath it. :pac:

I know, wildly inconsistent. I'd say your man that loves it wouldn't know RF from RGB if it hit him in the face coz the image quality is dire.

Is there an online resource anywhere of how playable Super Famicom games are, with regards the language?

The prices of some of the carts are far better than PAL counterparts...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is there an online resource anywhere of how playable Super Famicom games are, with regards the language?

The prices of some of the carts are far better than PAL counterparts...

Test it on an emulator. I find if it's a simple linear action game then it's fine. RPGs are a no-no.

SNES games are super cheap at the moment. Game Centre CX seems to have kicked off a massive Famicom craze in Japan so every other system gets neglected while famicom carts have gone up in price. Good time to get some SNES games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Test it on an emulator. I find if it's a simple linear action game then it's fine. RPGs are a no-no.

SNES games are super cheap at the moment. Game Centre CX seems to have kicked off a massive Famicom craze in Japan so every other system gets neglected while famicom carts have gone up in price. Good time to get some SNES games.

Ah! Never though of an emulator, good point!

Yeah some of the carts are stupidly low in price. I can now also play US carts thanks to an adaptor, so it makes choosing which format to get the game on confusing sometimes.

PAL? JP? US? Language aside, would JP be a more popular choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

2012-03-22.png

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    2012-03-22.png

Lol, something like that.

I don't wanna make the mistake of building up a collection in one format, & finding I should have chose another - like the PAL N64 debacle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I put a load of stuff in the attic last week to make room for more games. And now I've run out of room again. To make matters worse because Xenoblade is so long I've not beaten a game in ages so can't put any beaten games in the attic. God damn you first world problems!

Not sure if JAP or US would be more popular but I do know if you do collect one you'll be much better than those PAL chumps. Except they have Terranigma is english... the bastards.

I put a load of stuff in the attic last week to make room for more games. And now I've run out of room again. To make matters worse because Xenoblade is so long I've not beaten a game in ages so can't put any beaten games in the attic. God damn you first world problems!

Not sure if JAP or US would be more popular but I do know if you do collect one you'll be much better than those PAL chumps. Except they have Terranigma is english... the bastards.

So basically PAL should really only be used for exclusives, & either US or JP as a preference, except when it comes to language, in which case go for US?

Whoever said game collecting was straight forward :D

Also Retr0, what's an unboxed US Knuckles Chaotix worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Also Retr0, what's an unboxed US Knuckles Chaotix worth?

Not a lot

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Knuckles-Chaotix-32X-1995-/261013315409?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3cc59b1f51

You can get a fully boxed one for a fraction of the cost of the PAL version.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    Well I got less than that last night and am getting on a plane in a couple of hours :o
    Might grab a quick snooze when I'm in the air.

Is it a private jet? :eek:

Do you own 2? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iwDDswGsJ60#t=178s

The title of that song couldn't be more fitting in your case! ;)

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Not a lot

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Knuckles-Chaotix-32X-1995-/261013315409?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3cc59b1f51

You can get a fully boxed one for a fraction of the cost of the PAL version.

Ah cool, I bought one last night. I knew the US one was significantly cheaper but it's hard to tell because the one you linked to has $40 shipping or so.

Was the production run just lower? Is the 32X a weird example of it's better collecting in PAL?

So basically PAL should really only be used for exclusives, & either US or JP as a preference, except when it comes to language, in which case go for US?

Pretty much the way it should be for any collector until you get to the Dreamcast where they had good 60Hz conversions and later PS2 games. Wish I'd done that for the N64 :/

I'm finding US sellers an aboslute joke at the moment for shipping. Every game I want has shipping to Ireland at $15 and yet there's US sellers like Lukie games who will ship titles from the same system for $3-4. My friend in America sent me a massive box full of games and other videogame related crap for $14 dollars so I don't see where they are getting this since it was sent with USPS like these sellers.

I got some US dollars on my Paypal there and wanted to buy some US DS and PSP titles but it's not worth paying the same price again in postage and sure I'm off to the states in 3 weeks time.

Master of the Universe

Ah cool, I bought one last night. I knew the US one was significantly cheaper but it's hard to tell because the one you linked to has $40 shipping or so.

When you're trying to work out how much something is worth, don't take shipping into it. I know it's a part of the overall cost, but it doesn't really help value the item itself! So what I'd do is figure out what it's worth going on auction prices & ended auctions - then find something around that price with good shipping.
    Was the production run just lower? Is the 32X a weird example of it's better collecting in PAL?

In general, PAL English releases tend to be rarer than NTSC US ones. For most consoles. Just think of the market size difference really - there would be many more US NTSC copies printed of most games.

The 32X especially - NTSC games are all much cheaper. Just compare stuff like NTSC Chaotix, Kolibri and TMEK to the PAL versions, the difference is crazy.

A US 32X complete collection isn't the hardest thing in the world to do. A PAL one? You need thousands to spend.

I'm finding US sellers an aboslute joke at the moment for shipping. Every game I want has shipping to Ireland at $15 and yet there's US sellers like Lukie games who will ship titles from the same system for $3-4. My friend in America sent me a massive box full of games and other videogame related crap for $14 dollars so I don't see where they are getting this since it was sent with USPS like these sellers.

Pfft, you're finding them a joke?

I got quoted $150 dollars something, to post one Bloody Vectrex game!

And it wasn't a typo either has he had it to 2 decimal places like $150.43!!!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78529758#post78529758

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Pretty much the way it should be for any collector until you get to the Dreamcast where they had good 60Hz conversions and later PS2 games. Wish I'd done that for the N64 :/

where they had good 60Hz conversions?

I assumed all Dreamcast PAL games were 50Hz (based on my tiny collection and an unmodded PAL console :rolleyes:).

Are you saying theres a significant number of PAL region Dreamcast GDROM games in 60Hz?

(Ignoring the later no region protection CD releases)

o1s1n wrote: »
    When you're trying to work out how much something is worth, don't take shipping into it. I know it's a part of the overall cost, but it doesn't really help value the item itself! So what I'd do is figure out what it's worth going on auction prices & ended auctions - then find something around that price with good shipping.

Thats well & good when the pricing is consistent & there's loads of examples. But you get some sellers offering games at a cheap BIN, only to hike up the postage [as a way of defeating charges], & throw that into the loop of not many examples of a loose unboxed one...I was left wondering.

I bought it for €31 including delivery to Ireland, I thought it was pretty ok at that. I'll give the 16bit consoles a rest now & focus on other cart based consoles for a while. I wouldn't mind eventually having a complete set of NTSC 32X titles.
    In general, PAL English releases tend to be rarer than NTSC US ones. For most consoles. Just think of the market size difference really - there would be many more US NTSC copies printed of most games.

The 32X especially - NTSC games are all much cheaper. Just compare stuff like NTSC Chaotix, Kolibri and TMEK to the PAL versions, the difference is crazy.

A US 32X complete collection isn't the hardest thing in the world to do. A PAL one? You need thousands to spend.

Yeah agreed, a PAL 32X collection can fugg right off in this case :p

and yet there's US sellers like Lukie games who will ship titles from the same system for $3-4.

Not only that, but his combined shipping is only $1 per item :cool: Was perusing his store last night, very tempting stuff

Anyone up for my dayZ outdoor survival challenge? ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78708826#post78708826

Master of the Universe

waveform wrote: »
    Anyone up for my dayZ outdoor survival challenge? ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78708826#post78708826

Closest you'll get to real life DayZ is a halloween night game on an airsoft site.

I remember a few years ago (I think it was HRTA in Swords) had a night game with Zombies. I heard it was very, very scary.

• Advertisement

Went ahead & purchased a Gamecube RGB scart from consolegoods. Hopefully it'll do the job.

a5y wrote: »
    where they had good 60Hz conversions?

I assumed all Dreamcast PAL games were 50Hz (based on my tiny collection and an unmodded PAL console :rolleyes:).

Are you saying theres a significant number of PAL region Dreamcast GDROM games in 60Hz?

(Ignoring the later no region protection CD releases)

Quite a few Dreamcast games supported PAL60 which means that not only are they 60Hz but you get a resolution increase on the US version. I'm pretty sure all Capcom, Namco and Sega games support PAL60 and quite a lot of the library as well.

I remember people going crazy importing Soul Calibur and NTSC dreamcasts only to find out that the PAL version was 60Hz :)

Also there was a massive backlash against Sony when the PS2 came out and it didn't support PAL60 in games yet the Dreamcast supported it. Games like Devil May Cry and FFX have atrocious PAL conversions. Sony later let developers use NTSC 60Hz as an option in games and most later big games supported it or if it was Konami they did a great PAL conversion. Squaresoft on the other hand didn't bother with 60Hz until Kingdom Hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Went ahead & purchased a Gamecube RGB scart from consolegoods. Hopefully it'll do the job.

I bought two different 3rd party RGB leads and both were giving a crosshatch pattern over the screen. Honestly have never seen a 3rd party get it right.
    It wasn't until I picked up an official Nintendo brand cable from a French ebay seller that the real true quality came through.

I bought two different 3rd party RGB leads and both were giving a crosshatch pattern over the screen. Honestly have never seen a 3rd party get it right.
    It wasn't until I picked up an official Nintendo brand cable from a French ebay seller that the real true quality came through.

For Gamecube? Or Nintendo in general? I've bought all my RGB cables from console goods & never had an issue

For Gamecube? Or Nintendo in general? I've bought all my RGB cables from console goods & never had an issue

For gamecube. There's a whole thread about it with photos on assemblergames if you are interested.

For gamecube. There's a whole thread about it with photos on assemblergames if you are interested.

Definitely! Have you a link?

Definitely! Have you a link?

Here is one of the links http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?38248-PAL-Gamecube-c-sync&p=578071&viewfull=1#post578071

first of all you need the correct components within the cable - caps and resistors. Official SNES/Cube cables had very different components in them which is why the consolegoods "all in one SNES/N64/Cube cable" looks suspect.

Secondly, even if you have the correct components in the cable, it can still look like crap and that's what they are talking about in that assemblergames thread. They are talking about getting a way of tapping the c-sync from the gamecube motherboard as this is known to fix any issues. But as it turns out c-sync is not in the PAL cube. However, if you just go with the heavy 1KG beast of the official cable, it just works perfectly.

Secondly, even if you have the correct components in the cable, it can still look like crap and that's what they are talking about in that assemblergames thread. They are talking about getting a way of tapping the c-sync from the gamecube motherboard as this is known to fix any issues. But as it turns out c-sync is not in the PAL cube. However, if you just go with the heavy 1KG beast of the official cable, it just works perfectly.

The c-sync is needed if your tv doesn't like composite sync it seems, from looking at the thread.

The multi-out on both the Snes & GC is the same, so the only differences are in the cable itself component wise.

gamecube.png

snespal.png

Cheers for the link, I'll have a full read through it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Made one of my rare trips to my family home earlier and picked up some more of my old bits and pieces.

Got a bunch of my Gamecube controllers to make 8 player Double Dash easier to achieve. (still can't find my copy of Double Dash, mind)

Oh and also have Crystal Chronicles, which I believe Retr0 want's to give a go.

• Advertisement

I got a Game brand GC RGB cable and it works fine. Might just be certain TV's.

As for Crystal Chronicles I had fun with it in multiplayer wouldn't mind giving it a go. It's a different and crapper game in single player. Also wouldn't mind trying to get through Four Swords as well since I missed out on the Zelda Anniversary game on 3DS :'(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement