Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive failure, not if.....but when !

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Had my first hard drive failure today - whole album worth of audio on it. Always have 2 copies of running session so nothing lost just time in loading session up from external drives into internal drive.
    Just for information - the drive was 14 months old. Also apple SMART diagnostics didn't see it coming either.
    I always dump 3 year old drives out and up untill now that policy was working for me but hey hard drives can fail at anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

This is a bit of common sense advice also - Never buy the largest drives available as they more likely to develop faults, always buy older 'known' safe models.

And if Windows based and you lose a drive, hit google with searches for 'Master boot record' or MBR fix etc... Sometimes totally dead drives can be given life again.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SonasRec

Interesting update to my system drive failure. I posted this thread originally because my system drive failed in my mac pro. Drive went blank, hard drive name reset, nothing on the drive.

Today I bought a sata dock for doing backups outside the computer. Popped in the failed hard drive and, up it came, working grand. What's that all about???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Clone that drive immediately before you start diagnosing an intermittent fault.

Advertisement