Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is a pump/filter needed for fishless tank

• 16-12-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I bought a starter tank in Aldi today

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_15306.htm

The pump filter is bonkers loud.

I was thinking about using the tank just for aquascaping, to keep plants rather than fish.

Do I need the pump filter to keep plants alive?

Also do I need to cycle the tank before I add plants or can I do that once the water is up to temperature?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

You'd probably need some form of water agitation and movement to prevent stagnation, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

LOL @ the ad
    fish not included

I don't think that tank is actually suited for fish at all!

The aquascaping sounds cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Silverfish wrote: »

I figure less fish will die this way.

thanks for your advice, I may just run the pump when I'm not in the room.

telecaster wrote: »
    I figure less fish will die this way.

thanks for your advice, I may just run the pump when I'm not in the room.

Is it removable? You could probably get a quieter one.

I've 3 tanks going in this room, you stop hearing it after a while, it just becomes background noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

Why would you think that :confused:

The pump filter is bonkers loud.

You might have an air lock in it, give it a shake and see if bubbles come out it might get quieter, but you will need some sort of pump in there just to keep the water moving, you don't want too much surface agitation because it will drive off c02.

Get a good substrate too, the plants will need something to root into also the bulb that came with the tank might have to be changed if im in aldi tomorrow ill have a look and see how the tank would suit plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why would you think that :confused:

cos its so small.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What?

A fish tank not suitable for fish?

I said it tongue in cheek, it's suitable for some small fish that don't grow, guppies or danios or whatever.
    It's not suitable for goldfish or the quantity of fish they have pictured.

Fish bowls aren't suitable for fish, but they are still sold.

Anyway, my comments appear to have dragged the thread off topic so for that I apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I said it tongue in cheek, it's suitable for some small fish that don't grow, guppies or danios or whatever.
    It's not suitable for goldfish or the quantity of fish they have pictured.

Fish bowls aren't suitable for fish, but they are still sold.

Anyway, my comments appear to have dragged the thread off topic so for that I apologise.

Its probably not suitable for the people who buy them. Thats usually the biggest problem people who buy with out researching what they are buying

thanks for the advice, pump is a little quieter having run overnight, it was blowing at full pelt so I've tweaked it back a good bit and that has helped too.

new substrate, new bulb, I can see this bargain was really just a gateway to expenditure!

I may get a shoal of neons/cardinals to animate the tank in a few weeks, if only to placate the befuddlement of family members who are unable to fathom why I'd buy a fishtank without the intention of buying fish. :)

:pac:
    thanks for the advice, pump is a little quieter having run overnight, it was blowing at full pelt so I've tweaked it back a good bit and that has helped too.

new substrate, new bulb, I can see this bargain was really just a gateway to expenditure!

I may get a shoal of neons/cardinals to animate the tank in a few weeks, if only to placate the befuddlement of family members who are unable to fathom why I'd buy a fishtank without the intention of buying fish. :)

:D Its not cheap, I have spent a few grand and a lot of time on fish and plants but when you get it right they look great :)

For a small tank its a bit cheaper you can spend as much or as little as you like.

A cheap substrate would be compost but you would need to do some research on it and it might be too solw a start up for you.

As for fish, a single shoal is best for a planted thank, A shoal of endlers would look great they are like a small guppy you could have loads of them and they look great :)

This is my 300L tank its 4ft wide :)

IMG_9819.jpg

These are endlers

IMG_9534.jpg

Lots of options :D

Money well spent, that is gorgeous.

looks great LB

what is the name of the mossy plant carpeting its way around the front of your tank on the right?

your pic is making me nostalgic for the 4 footer I had years ago before I moved abroad...had some cracking big Angelfish in it, and an expensive discus genocide come to think of it.

The carpeting plant is Hemianthus callitrichoides or for short its called HC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Do I need the pump filter to keep plants alive?

No you don't- plants will grow quite happily without water agitation and once the plants are thriving the water will not become stagnant
    Also do I need to cycle the tank before I add plants or can I do that once the water is up to temperature?

No - actually adding plants will help the tank to cycle faster

For loads more info on filterless planted tanks have a look at this website http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/26458-what-el-natural-step-step.html

thanks

Advertisement