Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

tipptom wrote: »
    One of the commenters at the bottom(ooer misses) of the Guardian made a valid point that this is catering to an audience that cinema is ignoring for years and that it is the first time in years that his mother(who is English) went to the cinema without her grandkids and she detests swearing but seems to not mind the way BOC gets it in without offence to her.

Don't like MBBs and when they pulled a clip for it for Graham Nortons show I would presume it would be one of the funniest to promote Dfilim but it was awful so I wont be going to see it but am happy for BOC as he seems to give a lot to charity and has had a lot of ups and downs in his life.

Interesting. Sounds like my English co worker. Late 60s very prime and proper..would never swear in a million years...loves it and specifically mentions all the swearing. It seems to have a cathertic effect on repressed English old dears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

This is a matter of interpretation
    What's a matter of interpretation? Film watching and analysis? I agree which is exactly why I find the behavior of putting those that dislike it on some snooty upper class pedestal ridiculous.
    With respect, I think your reaction is a little excessive to what is essentially someones blog.
    It's a blog post that got into a paper that was read by many people. My issue is not only with the piece itself but the kind of attitude that it's indicative of, putting down people who have dissenting voices and not daring to challenge anything just because it happens to be popular. Something that seems exclusive to Irish society to me. You didn't see the same cries of "Begrudgery!!!!! Bloody snooty critics!!!" when the Keith Lemon film was (financially) successful last year.
    He seems to revel in the fact that the film appears to wind up the so called 'high-brow' critics. He doesnt back that up. As a matter of interest, do you think there is any truth in that?
    So what if it does? The article just seems like an excuse to gloat about the fact that a lot of people went to see it regardless. That's nothing new in terms of movies and it is such a tired old argument.

What high-brow critics btw? Literally every one I follow likes mainstream movies.

One of the commenters at the bottom(ooer misses) of the Guardian made a valid point that this is catering to an audience that cinema is ignoring for years and that it is the first time in years that his mother(who is English) went to the cinema without her grandkids and she detests swearing but seems to not mind the way BOC gets it in without offence to her.
    This is one of the few positives of the film to me and I do hope it gets more people into the cinema from now on. The audience deserves better. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

e_e wrote: »
    This is one of the few positives of the film to me and I do hope it gets more people into the cinema from now on. The audience deserves better. ;)
    It sees to have brought Feck and Fu*ck to a brand new audience.
    Would be interesting to know what percentage of this demo watched Fr Ted or was turned of by it because it was to near the knuckle for them.

If somebody had shown me a pilot for this years ago and said they were going to pitch it at the BBC I would have made great efforts to check them in to a mental institution never mind some mentalist at the BBC approving it,putting it out and it becoming a massive success.
    I would say Arthur Matthews and Graham linehan are livid at how simple it is to reach a massive audience, LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

It seems the only reason it did so well was from people going to see it that said it was shyte :( if they had the cop on not to bother going to the cinema to watch it would be a flop which it is in a sense :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It sees to have brought Feck and Fu*ck to a brand new audience.
    Would be interesting to know what percentage of this demo watched Fr Ted or was turned of by it because it was to near the knuckle for them.

If somebody had shown me a pilot for this years ago and said they were going to pitch it at the BBC I would have made great efforts to check them in to a mental institution never mind some mentalist at the BBC approving it,putting it out and it becoming a massive success.
    I would say Arthur Matthews and Graham linehan are livid at how simple it is to reach a massive audience, LOL

Father Ted is War & Peace compared to BOC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I went to see Mrs Browns Boys D'Movie last night and at the end Brendan O'Carroll mentions hurting his cock. A little girl no more then 6 or 7 next to me says. 'Mammy Daddy what's a cock'!!! I laughed out loud thinking that's what you get when you bring a child to a film where anything could be said. Good luck explaining that to the child fecking dumbasses.

Surely the staff at Mahon Point Omniplex should have denied entry to the child because she was too young to watch the movie??

mikeym wrote: »
    I went to see Mrs Browns Boys D'Movie last night and at the end Brendan O'Carroll mentions hurting his cock. A little girl no more then 6 or 7 next to me says. 'Mammy Daddy what's a cock'!!! I laughed out loud thinking that's what you get when you bring a child to a film where anything could be said. Good luck explaining that to the child fecking dumbasses.

Surely the staff at Mahon Point Omniplex should have denied entry to the child because she was too young to watch the movie??

Why would they deny entry, the film is rated 15A which means that anyone under that age can see it as long as they are accompanied by an adult. As for explaining the word, well it's hardly that big a deal. You can make something up or be truthful and explain that it's just another word for penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Why would they deny entry, the film is rated 15A which means that anyone under that age can see it as long as they are accompanied by an adult. As for explaining the word, well it's hardly that big a deal. You can make something up or be truthful and explain that it's just another word for penis.

Fair enough Im not up to date on the age Classification of movies.

Then you could really confuse the child trying to explain why an old woman has a cock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Then again it doesn't seem too much to be able to say to a 7 or 8 year old that the woman is a man dressed up and a cock is a penis.

Then again it doesn't seem too much to be able to say to a 7 or 8 year old that the woman is a man dressed up and a cock is a penis.
    Yeah, and totally confuse the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Father Ted is War & Peace compared to BOC

More like Crime and Punishment, but he lost track of himself when he started the punishment bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ipso wrote: »
    More like Crime and Punishment, but he lost track of himself when he started the punishment bit.

Very overrated novel with some fascinating insights into the human condition.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

In my experience its a certain type of person who enjoys this muck.

I work with app. 120 people most of whom would be from worse off backgrounds/areas and its them that seem to enjoy it. I find it crass and very unintelligent. Its essentially just a man dressed as a woman cursing every few words.

not my kind of comedy.

now, I really dont begrudge the man his popularity or his success. I know he is very generous with his money and does a lot for charity and fair play to him for it.

I laughed my arse off watching him on Graham Norton but it was more the reactions of the other guests than him that amused me if im honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

App?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

App?
    approximately

e_e wrote: »
    approximately

Can't believe I needed to have that explained to me. Time for bed methinks.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

nc19 wrote: »
    In my experience its a certain type of person who enjoys this muck.

I work with app. 120 people most of whom would be from worse off backgrounds/areas and its them that seem to enjoy it.

Wow. How condescending. I haven't seen the film but I must admit the tv show does raise a chuckle or two and I'm not from a deprived background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3433074/?ref_=nv_sr_1

lovely gets 3.9

Any film with a rating less then 6 on there is almost always dogshíte ... I think Zombie Strippers even beats that one :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

nc19, please note this section of the film forum charter:

The 'attack the post, not the poster' rule extends to more generalised posts. Condescending comments or generalised insults aimed at everyone and anyone who disagrees with you are just as bad as attacking an individual. You can easily argue for and against a film without having to make judgements on anyone whose opinion might differ from your own. These sorts of generalised attacks always have a toxic effect on discussion, and posters who use them will receive warnings or infractions and likely have their post deleted.

Please criticise the film, not the people who like / dislike it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Seen this film the other week. Didn't expect much from it as I hate the show, but it was better than I expected. Great to see along the Liffey looking so nice compared to what it actually looks like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Just finished watching this now .. Got a copy from somebody so I just said I'd give it a roll from start to finish to see what the story is...

I was a bit surprised by it actually... The film has more of the feel of a British made-for-tv drama than the TV comedy series... Or maybe with the incredibly simplistic storylines and gratuitous car chases, a comparison with one of those BBC kids movies would be appropriate...

But with regard to the movie... It is well shot, and flows along quite nicely, and tbh a lot more professional looking than I was expecting... But it suffers from the same problems as the series... The plotlines are just unbelievably simplistic, so the story alone wont keep you entertained... There are a few jokes, and a few decent ones, but not enough that you could call the movie a comedy... And some of the jokes just get lost without the laughter track to guide the audience...

It was always going to be difficult for Brendan O'Connell to move the half hour series to the screen, as it is for any show that tries to make that move. And in spite of the huge audience figures that the film has received, I wouldnt say that the progression has been a success. But for a Sunday afternoon in front of the telly with nothing else on, it's certainly passable.. Now pass the box of quality street.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Just finished watching this now .. Got a copy from somebody so I just said I'd give it a roll from start to finish to see what the story is...

I was a bit surprised by it actually... The film has more of the feel of a British made-for-tv drama than the TV comedy series... Or maybe with the incredibly simplistic storylines and gratuitous car chases, a comparison with one of those BBC kids movies would be appropriate...

But with regard to the movie... It is well shot, and flows along quite nicely, and tbh a lot more professional looking than I was expecting... But it suffers from the same problems as the series... The plotlines are just unbelievably simplistic, so the story alone wont keep you entertained... There are a few jokes, and a few decent ones, but not enough that you could call the movie a comedy... And some of the jokes just get lost without the laughter track to guide the audience...

It was always going to be difficult for Brendan O'Connell to move the half hour series to the screen, as it is for any show that tries to make that move. And in spite of the huge audience figures that the film has received, I wouldnt say that the progression has been a success. But for a Sunday afternoon in front of the telly with nothing else on, it's certainly passable.. Now pass the box of quality street.. :pac:
    That speaks for itself I would say but was reading that it has took ten times the amount of all other Irish film releases put together in 2014.

Wonder does that include Cavalry or is that counted as an Irish film now?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Think this movie belongs on one of the so bad it's good threads. You either get it or you don't.

Have to say, saw it in the cinema which was packed with people laughing from start to finish. It's not high brow, but then again it's not trying to be.

There's a lot of working class inner City Dublin humour in both the movie and series that clearly has an audience around the world at this stage.

Fair play to Brendan O'Carroll.

I thought I'd already posted my thoughts on this but evidently not.

The local Cineworld had it on as a take 2 a few months back so I went in and saw it on a thankfully empty Tuesday evening. To be honest, empty is the best word I can use to describe it. I like the TV show but something was lost in the transition. The trailer ruined most of the jokes not that they were much to begin with. I felt like a critic who was there to work and put a review together and not like I was indulging a hobby. There were a few dozen old people there and they barely laughed at all. The only positive thing I can say about it is that there are some lovely shots of Dublin in it.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just watched it on DVD, (raining outside nothing else to do)

and i'm in a state of bewilderment typing this i really am.......

i just cannot believe that this tripe is so popular....the "pre-rehearsed" bloopers, the stupid sing songs, the chinese ninja wtf!:eek: its like 12 yr old humour dressing up as a chinaman doing the silly accent and slanty eyes, i mean ffs that sort of comedy went out with the ark

and the cherry on the cake the nauseating "we are the salt of the earth" speech at the end, totally cringeworthy, utterly contrived and unconvincing, felt like throwing up

Can't believe that that chancer has made a success out of this bollocks, i reckon he must wake up every morning laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

You, sir, need a funny-bone transplant.

Just because he doesn't try to be "down with the kids" doesn't mean O'Carroll isn't a comedic genius.

• Its really one of the great mysteries of the universe. I can't believe this man has made a career out of it.

• Advertisement

It's not that much worse that some of the guff we've seen from Hollywood lately.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement