Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Blanchardstown

• 29-07-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of moving to the Blanchardstown area, can anyone tell me what areas (if any) I should avoid ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Can opened, worms everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Can I suggest looking at moving to the coolmine/clonsilla area as it seems nice enough, the areas I have lived in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

January wrote: »
    Can opened, worms everywhere.

Sorry ? It's a serious question! I am unfamiliar with the area however I think it would be convienient for work. Didn't realise asking people where to go/ not go was an issue. Please delete if it is against the charter.

Can I suggest looking at moving to the coolmine/clonsilla area as it seems nice enough, the areas I have lived in anyway.

I'll certainly take a look thanks, I'm looking for a house share so fingers crossed there are plenty of options! Do you know what traffic is like in those areas? (I'll be driving and not using public transport)

As a general rule, people will tell you to stay away from Wellview, Ladyswell, Parslickstown, Castlecurragh, Parnell, Corduff (not Waterville), Whitestown, Fortlawn and Mountview. Anywhere else is fair game. I live in Wellview and personally I don't find it bad at all, then again I wouldn't live on Wellview Grove because there are a few people who cause anti social behaviour around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

kingtut wrote: »
    Sorry ? It's a serious question! I am unfamiliar with the area however I think it would be convienient for work. Didn't realise asking people where to go/ not go was an issue. Please delete if it is against the charter.

January meant that such threads usually stir the pot. People get too offended where an area is described as being a kip.

For example, and to answer your question :p I find Corduff to be a kip. Now what usually happens is that a person will get back saying "would you ever feck off! Corduff isnt!!!" blah blah blah. Acting like I just insulted their mother or something :pac: hence the can of worms comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Why don't you drive around and see it for yourself |?
    Drive each day / weekend and see at different times of the day.

I live in a nice "posh" aka dear location where...
    cats are around the house in number of minimum 3-5 every fcuking day
    dogs barks at 7AM,when owner goes to work or to collect social welfare
    dogs barks from 9pm until 11pm because owner is happy
    kids running around, playing and kicking the ball
    teenagers, are crossing the estate from one place to another
    green lovely parks are been transformed in dog toilets, full with poo, **** and nice smell after each rain
    neighbours saying fcuk off to kids

If I will move out ?
    No ... :)

I'll certainly take a look thanks, I'm looking for a house share so fingers crossed there are plenty of options! Do you know what traffic is like in those areas? (I'll be driving and not using public transport)

Traffic everywhere in blanch drives me bananas! Although its not too bad, I come from swords where I find traffic very smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

Castleknock is meant to be posh and this happened,

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/chess-murder-victims-lung-was-removed-and-has-not-been-located-29910709.html

So anywhere can be a "kip",it just takes one incident or a few bad apples

Im meant to live in a "posh" area,yet there was a house raided for drugs four doors down . Then the house beside us has had five different people renting(and had all the fun go to with renters) since the owners moved to another house.

As someone said drive around at different times and get a feel for an area.

If i was moving out, id move into a older estate with settled couples who hopefully don't sell up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Where are you working? Local traffic can be bad in term time with some estates/residential areas taking 20 minutes to get onto a main road so I would be more inclined to ask where you should consider living based on where you work rather than where to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

Someone, on another thread earlier, said that one way of getting an idea of an area was to type in the address into Google followed by the words, court, charged, assault, attack and drugs.

This will bring up all news articles on the undesirable people on the road who you do not want to live near.

As a general rule, people will tell you to stay away from Wellview, Ladyswell, Parslickstown, Castlecurragh, Parnell, Corduff (not Waterville), Whitestown, Fortlawn and Mountview. Anywhere else is fair game. I live in Wellview and personally I don't find it bad at all, then again I wouldn't live on Wellview Grove because there are a few people who cause anti social behaviour around there.

Stay away from Wellview, noted ;)

I'll consider anywhere around there at this point :)
    January meant that such threads usually stir the pot. People get too offended where an area is described as being a kip.

Cheers for clearing that up :P
    rolion wrote: »
    Why don't you drive around and see it for yourself |?
    Drive each day / weekend and see at different times of the day.

Actually that is a great idea! Never thought of doing a 'practice' drive, suppose it would help me getting to know the route to work also.
    Traffic everywhere in blanch drives me bananas! Although its not too bad, I come from swords where I find traffic very smooth.

How long does the blanch to swords commute take you?
    jeffk wrote: »

My god that's a shocker! Suppose as you/people say it can happen anywhere!
    athtrasna wrote: »
    Where are you working?

Working between blackrock and dun laoghaire, closer to dun laoghaire though ...
    Murt10 wrote: »
    Someone, on another thread earlier, said that one way of getting an idea of an area was to type in the address into Google followed by the words, court, charged, assault, attack and drugs.

This will bring up all news articles on the undesirable people on the road who you do not want to live near.

:eek:

Blanch to swords takes me 25 mins. Usually have a child so taking it fair slow as well. But it takes about 35min going home. This is usually in moderately heavy traffic as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Stay away from Wellview, noted ;)

I'll consider anywhere around there at this point :)

Cheers for clearing that up :P

Actually that is a great idea! Never thought of doing a 'practice' drive, suppose it would help me getting to know the route to work also.

How long does the blanch to swords commute take you?

My god that's a shocker! Suppose as you/people say it can happen anywhere!

Working between blackrock and dun laoghaire, closer to dun laoghaire though ...

:eek:

Train an option for you? If so then look for somewhere within walking distance of the train stations. In and around Clonsilla is quite enough.
    Have a look at whats available in Dublin 15 that suits then cross them off as you check them out until you find the right one.

Sounds like Waterville would be good for you, easy to get out of in the morning and just a few minutes from the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Why have you picked blanchardstown? Your commute to black rock/dun laoghaire will be quite long if you work regular office hours and you don't appear to have any other reason to locate here. Why don't you look at house shares close to where you work?

Why have you picked blanchardstown? Your commute to black rock/dun laoghaire will be quite long if you work regular office hours and you don't appear to have any other reason to locate here. Why don't you look at house shares close to where you work?

It's half an hour on the M50, I do it fairly regularly for 8am appointments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

It seems like houses in Blanchardstown are between 10% - 35% cheaper than most other parts of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's half an hour on the M50, I do it fairly regularly for 8am appointments

I'd bet though if you were starting at 9am your trip would be longer. Anyway, it's not important. I was just suggesting the OP broaden his search area.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hazelhoff

Hey can you expand on wellview grove? As in is it really bad or just a bit of hassle every so often? Im from Clondalkin and have lived in between bawnogue and cherrywood all my life and never had any major hassle few windows smashed on the estate over the years few teeny boppers hanging around but they do no harm if you leave them to it.

I am looking there atm and its the only place really in my price range. I am looking to buy on my own to have a studio and a bit of space for a couple of years, save then move on, so not looking to bring a family up there by any means depending on how it worked out if I moved there. Id appreciate if you can tell me a bit more as I am going to view the house this Sunday. Thanks

• Advertisement

I know the house you're viewing, the neighbours either side are nice. It's not all the time either, but it's just the general feel of the road, although now that a house has been vacated I've heard it's not as bad. There are 5 boarded up houses on the road. The house you're viewing was for sale earlier in the year and went Sale Agreed and then was put back up recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I do Corduff to Dun Laoghaire everyday. There is a train direct (no changes) that gets you into Dun Laoghaire for 09:10. A train back to Blanch leaving Dun Laoghaire at 17:18 and 17:51. Takes about 45 mins.

I drove to Dun Laoghaire from Corduff on Monday at 7.30am and it took 55mins.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Dublin 15 is a strange one. Were i live is really really nice.

Zero Anti Social Behavior
    Zero Cars being robbed
    200% House breakins

I know the house you're viewing, the neighbours either side are nice. It's not all the time either, but it's just the general feel of the road, although now that a house has been vacated I've heard it's not as bad. There are 5 boarded up houses on the road. The house you're viewing was for sale earlier in the year and went Sale Agreed and then was put back up recently.

Thanks for the reply appreciate it, so was the house that has been vacated basically giving the road a bad name? How come the other houses are boarded up? Do you know why that is? PM me if you don't want to answer that on this thread. Its good to know the neighbours are nice :)

yeah I remembered seeing it up for sale before but today when I tried to look it up on the net I couldn't find any older links. Do you know if it was up for sale for the same price a while ago or more expensive?

When I read up about the area or surrounding areas people are making out as if teenyboppers are throwing stones at peoples houses, attacking people, robbing cars/houses everyday, is this true? It makes Mulhuddart out to be the worst place on earth! I know any area can get a bad rep easily but I think you could buy in Blackrock and have neighbours from hell or your house robbed or have shootings happen also, its Dublin in general! I think overpopulated areas have a greater sense of community. I lived in Killinarden for two years and the people were overly nice to say the least and really laid back so its hard to judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Murt10 wrote: »

Hmmm. like "ailesbury road drugs guns criminal"...

place is a kip.

Armelodie wrote: »
    Hmmm. like "ailesbury road drugs guns criminal"...

place is a kip.

When you put that into google about the road I am referring too nothing comes up either so how do you know that road is a kip? Do you live there or have you ever lived there?

I'll pm you once I get the kids to bed :)

Advertisement