Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Canal Tow Path

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

beauf wrote: »
    Why you want to promote the idea the new development work has blocked all users other than antisocial activities I have no idea.
    The aim of being so negative to the new work is unclear. Perhaps its to exclude other users from the route that would inconvenience fast cycle commuting.
    Maybe the intent is to get the thread closed so the positive are not communicated, so the route doesn't become too popular.

Once again: Where have I said that it blocks all users?

And you claimed you wanted reason but again you're making claims about what I think which can't be supported by what I have said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@monument and beauf - this has gone way beyond a D15 discussion, and my eyes have glazed over at this point trying to figure what you are even arguing about. Both of you please refrain from continuing your argument about the pros/cons of barriers on this thread, you seem to be just going in circles here. If you've something else to add to the thread by all means do so, but time to knock the barrier argument on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

beauf wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. You encourage me to try it anyway! I saw a few others using it to commute when I was on it. Did you usually meet many yourself? When I'm on the train I've started to notice more people on it.

I wonder would they ever consider extending the cycle way into the IFSC it could then link up with the Canal Cycle way. There seems to be a lot of dead unused ground at city end. I found that some people who are reluctant to cycle, through dislike/fear of traffic etc are greatly encouraged when they find they can do most of their route off road.

No problem! Before the upgrade there was practically nobody cycling on it, usually the same couple of faces. The gates are a necessity though, it would be a free for all if they were removed and the surface would be destroyed in no time. I've had absolutely no problems getting through them with panniers so it's a small inconvenience.

No problem! Before the upgrade there was practically nobody cycling on it, usually the same couple of faces. The gates are a necessity though, it would be a free for all if they were removed and the surface would be destroyed in no time. I've had absolutely no problems getting through them with panniers so it's a small inconvenience.

But could you please let us know what type and size are your panniers?

I'm only asking because others have said that the they have had to lift bikes with panniers over and I'm trying to get the fullest picture possible.

Note: I'm just looking for info, I'm not debating the matter one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Does anyone know if they are planning on making changes to the tow path around Broombridge as par of the Luas works. Presumably once it becomes the new Luas terminal they will have to secure the station full time and sort out the problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Some documents from the RPA here

http://www.dublinluasbroombridge.ie/Downloads/PlanofProposedWorks/01-ALIGNMENT_PROPERTY/27_BXD_P_30_D-0.pdf

http://www.dublinluasbroombridge.ie/Downloads/PlanofProposedWorks/02-STRUCTURES/22_BXD_DP_30_C-02.pdf

Looks like the currently unused land between the canal and the industrial buildings on the cabra side will be turned into a station and yard. I'd imagine having a terminus there will mean a proper station with more staff/security who would sort out any anti-social problems.

The problem then may just move further up the canal to the bridge on the ratoath road. Once the flyover is complete, what happens to the old bridge? Its probably protected so will be left alone, but you'd imagine that area with a lock and sheltered with a new flyover will become the new anti-social hotspot

AlanG wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they are planning on making changes to the tow path around Broombridge as par of the Luas works. Presumably once it becomes the new Luas terminal they will have to secure the station full time and sort out the problems.

The tow path at Broombridge is to be upgraded separate to the Luas works. It's being designed with an aim of bringing it to planning, possibly later this year.

All of the towpath is to be upgraded in Dublin, Greater Dublin Area and beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Seoda1

Quick question, I know it's not in keeping to this thread but seems good place to ask.

How long would it take to walk from Ashtown to Drumcondra along the canal and is there a path all the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Seoda1 wrote: »
    Quick question, I know it's not in keeping to this thread but seems good place to ask.

How long would it take to walk from Ashtown to Drumcondra along the canal and is there a path all the way?
    Yes, there's a tarmac path the whole way. On the bike it takes about 10-15 minutes. At a guess I'd say it's roughly 3 times that to walk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I live in Clonsilla close to the Royal Canal. I enjoy walking along the towpath. I am not in the first flush of youth - in fact I am retired. When I am walking I often see people on bikes speeding along the towpath. If the cyclists are coming towards me I have an opportunity to avoid them but those approaching from behind me I often fail to notice. This can be a bit scary if they don't advertise their presence.

Is the towpath suitable for the use of cyclists and pedestrians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 macdara.conroy

joolsveer wrote: »
    Is the towpath suitable for the use of cyclists and pedestrians?

Between Castleknock and Ashtown (on new path) the answer is definitely 'yes': it's intended as a shared greenway, and there is signage to that effect at both ends.

As for the rest of the towpath, it's labelled as a cycleway via the NTA's own mobile app, but I don't think it's explicitly permitted or banned. In any case, cyclists should be using bells if they're passing pedestrians from behind at any speed if they know the walker is not aware of them. Bells are a legal requirement, after all, and I always use mine when I'm a distance behind someone I'm passing.

Much of the path between Ashtown and Liffey Junction shouldn't be cycled at speed anyway - it's broken up in places, it's potholed, it can get narrow, and there's wildlife crossing - so there's no need for pedestrians to be startled by some show-off racer type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

The stretch that I use is between Coolmine and Clonsilla and it - in my opinion- is not suitable to be shared by pedestrians and cyclists.

The stretch that I use is between Coolmine and Clonsilla and it - in my opinion- is not suitable to be shared by pedestrians and cyclists.

It certainly shouldn't be used by anyone cycling at speed - it's quite narrow there in spots and there's a sheer drop into the canal cutting, as you know. I wouldn't even walk there without a good pair of high-grip shoes or boots, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

That stretch is scary in parts. Very little room between the canal and the tracks to improve things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's basically a goat trail. Though you always meet people on it. Walkers and a few cyclists. Always fishermen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Finally cycled down that way yesterday. Took a picture of the gate. Pedals can just about fit through.

318766.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

About 2 weeks ago I saw that the gate at the 12th Lock end is open a bit. This must make it much easier to cycle through.

daymobrew wrote: »
    About 2 weeks ago I saw that the gate at the 12th Lock end is open a bit. This must make it much easier to cycle through.

Yes, much easier to get through now (but I still got off and wheeled it through the gap on Monday morning). They put a railing over the dirt mount, too.

The gate near Navan Road Parkway could do with opening in the same way, though. And maybe someone could sweep the tree debris off the path? Hundreds of little twigs, etc, could be hiding nasty surprises for bicycle tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

And maybe someone could sweep the tree debris off the path? Hundreds of little twigs, etc, could be hiding nasty surprises for bicycle tyres.
    Report it via http://www.fixyourstreet.ie/ though it might be quicker to bring a brush with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

Went for a walk with the dog down the canal today (Saturday) around 3pm.

Ruined by teenagers on motorbikes driving at high speed up and down. Very intimidating. surely to god it can't be that hard to catch these guys...on motorbikes with no reg or tax etc..I thought there was CCTV down there.. Are the Gardai in Cabra and Blanchardstown between them not able to confiscate these motorbikes before someone is hurt..Is there a Garda person in charge of these two stations that could get them to combine their scarce resources.

Surely whoever is watching the CCTV could call the Gardai when the bikes appear. They could block both ends and take the bikes?..its hardly rocket science..

I predict that next Saturday afternoon the same thing will happen..and the Saturday after that.?

Any chance of local policing working?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Maybe they don't know it's happening.

Did you report it today?

Went for a walk with the dog down the canal today (Saturday) around 3pm....

Which bit?

Went for a walk with the dog down the canal today (Saturday) around 3pm.

Ruined by teenagers on motorbikes driving at high speed up and down. Very intimidating. surely to god it can't be that hard to catch these guys...on motorbikes with no reg or tax etc..I thought there was CCTV down there.. Are the Gardai in Cabra and Blanchardstown between them not able to confiscate these motorbikes before someone is hurt..Is there a Garda person in charge of these two stations that could get them to combine their scarce resources.

Surely whoever is watching the CCTV could call the Gardai when the bikes appear. They could block both ends and take the bikes?..its hardly rocket science..

I predict that next Saturday afternoon the same thing will happen..and the Saturday after that.?

Any chance of local policing working?

Did you report it? There's little any police force can do if crime is not reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I had this going on in our green and reported it and got a local councillor to do the same and it got it stopped

Isn't there a huge subsidence of the path along part of the canal between Drumcondra and Croke Park that would prevent safe cycling? Found this photo online : https://twitter.com/johnfurlong2/status/367584345319411714...

I see they are fixing this stretch at the moment. Lots of construction work going on.

Advertisement