Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Loan?

• 15-08-2012 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Where would be best to get a student loan for a Laptop, I need to get a laptop that will Do me the 3years of my course, I plan on spending €1300, just looking for a loan of €1000. Is there any grants available or anything? Any advice would be greatly appreciated: D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Why are you spending that much on a laptop? The lifetime of a normal priced (400-500) laptop is 3 years. I've had mine 3 years, it still works fine other than the battery not retaining much charge.

I don't think anywhere will give you a grant for a laptop, there are some scholarships and schemes I think, like the SFI thing for women who excel in Science & Maths, & they get a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Muir wrote: »
    Why are you spending that much on a laptop? The lifetime of a normal priced (400-500) laptop is 3 years. I've had mine 3 years, it still works fine other than the battery not retaining much charge.

I don't think anywhere will give you a grant for a laptop, there are some scholarships and schemes I think, like the SFI thing for women who excel in Science & Maths, & they get a laptop.

planning to spend 1,300 on a laptop? sounds like someone is looking to get a macbook for going to college. As far as i know there is no loan or grant you can get for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

UCD have a deal with Apple whereby students and staff get a small(5-10%) discount on laptops.
    I don't know if that applies to other colleges though.

I think it's madness taking out such a large loan to get a laptop. Colleges don't expect students to have laptops anyways, that's why they have computer labs.

Head over to the laptop forum on boards and they'll get you a inexpensive laptop that's suited to your needs.

planning to spend 1,300 on a laptop? sounds like someone is looking to get a macbook for going to college. As far as i know there is no loan or grant you can get for that.

I guessed the macbook, my question was why. Fair enough if you can afford one, it's not a great idea if you need a loan.

You don't need to spend that kind of money to get a college suitable laptop. Many people struggle to get help with fees, let alone get scholarships to buy expensive laptops. Most colleges have computer labs, and unless you are doing a course which actually requires a laptop, quite a few lecturers don't even allow them in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

In some cases courses do require specific laptops new.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Megglet

Muir wrote: »
    You don't need to spend that kind of money to get a college suitable laptop. Many people struggle to get help with fees, let alone get scholarships to buy expensive laptops. Most colleges have computer labs, and unless you are doing a course which actually requires a laptop, quite a few lecturers don't even allow them in class.

I'd strongly advise listening to this advice OP, unless you're already quite wealthy spending 1300 on a laptop is highly unnecessary when you could easily spend 500 and get a really decent one that will last.
    Quite a few of my friends are doing IT and they're surviving on laptops within that range just fine!
    Just be aware that with apple products you're really just paying for the label, you can easily pick up a PC that will match it's specs for a fraction of the cost.

I assume you haven't started college yet? once you do and you have 1300 euros worth of machinery sitting on your desk and your wallet is thinning things might come into perspective a little.

In some cases courses do require specific laptops new.

I did mention that in my post too, I said unless you are doing a course that specifically requires a laptop. I don't personally know of any courses that require such an expensive laptop, but OP if that is the case & you're struggling to afford it you could ask the person over your course if there's any help available.

Advertisement