Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Middle Distance Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Huayra

Good initiative setting up the thread pconn. Time is going so fast, the track season will hit us in no time. Never thought I'd be doing this myself as I'd say I am mostly slow twitch. If you want to improve your long distances though, the optimal way to do it is to make those paces feel easy by running shorter and faster.

Huayra wrote: »
    Good initiative setting up the thread pconn. Time is going so fast, the track season will hit us in no time. Never thought I'd be doing this myself as I'd say I am mostly slow twitch. If you want to improve your long distances though, the optimal way to do it is to make those paces feel easy by running shorter and faster.

Unfortunately this is a mindset that alot of people have but remember 1500m up is predominantly aerobic so there is no reason a "slow twitch fibre" runner still can't do particularly well (not saying your gonna win All Ireland Ireland but there are very few who are)

Running track races is a completely different experience but one which is really enjoyable and the training is great for creating better running efficiency and is certainly something I would advocate everyone to atleast try.

Sure look at Krusty Clown or myself who are by definition a slow twitch runnesr, he was running 400m and me 800m during last summer

I'll give it my best. I intend to give the track races a shot every summer from now on. At least I will be doing the training with people who have a good track record :p(pun intended), and plenty of experience. My form and economy could be improved over longer distances by running many track races.
    I think people are intimidated by the explosive bursts of speed. Most runners enjoy the relaxed, and comparatively slow pace of the long races. To be honest that's exactly what my mindset was when I decided to go straight into the marathon.
    Am going to be focusing on 8s/15s/mile this summer. Will probably try a couple of 3000m too. I am getting excited. No idea what kind of times I am capable of so that is a mystery I will eventually come to realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Huayra wrote: »
    Am going to be focusing on 8s/15s/mile this summer. Will probably try a couple of 3000m too. I am getting excited. No idea what kind of times I am capable of so that is a mystery I will eventually come to realise.

I think I've figured out who you are :P, but good to hear your interested in the middle distance, feel free to jump into our sessions on the Greystones track if they fit around your training, I can pm ya the details of them. Just dont get quicker than me and take my spot on the slicualann national league team :P

• Advertisement

Cheers Timmaay. Guess I can't troll the boards anymore now that you've realised who I am. Hope the training is going well and your recovered since last time I saw you :). Btw just to confirm, I'm Huayra :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Might be interesting for people to post up what sessions they've done or what sessions they have planned for the week, and what purpose the session has. I know people might not want to give too much away but you might give the rest of us some ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Today: 2x600m at 800m pace +5-10%
    Even with 15 min recovery, the 2nd one is tough.
    Weights session after - nothing heavy.
    Last speed endurance session before target 800m race on 25th.

Thursdays plan is:
    10x200m at race pace off 90s
    Then winding down next week with probably another 200 session and 100m bends at race pace.

Race pace training is key for me these weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

On the letsrun sub 1:50 800m thread Anthony Colotti mentioned the following.

TRAINING FOR ANAEROBIC POWER (is your ability in running faster possible distances from 300m to 600m, depending on your event). You must run at max intensity, this is a training but also a test, and the competition is a training too. Your goal are to become able to produce more lactate (for example, if you run 300m in 38.0 with 12mmol, the most important limiting factor is that youe engine doesn't have POWER enough. So you must become able to produce 15mmol, and when you are able, you can run in 36.5). If you are a sprinter, 300m is the longer distance that you can use for this goal. If you are a distance runner, 500-600m are better.

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=2669719&page=5#ixzz2r2vQqwTU

He mentions about increasing blood lactate levels to get more Power.

My questions is how can you increase your blood lactate levels to 15mmol or so?

YFlyer wrote: »
    On the letsrun sub 1:50 800m thread Anthony Colotti mentioned the following.

TRAINING FOR ANAEROBIC POWER (is your ability in running faster possible distances from 300m to 600m, depending on your event). You must run at max intensity, this is a training but also a test, and the competition is a training too. Your goal are to become able to produce more lactate (for example, if you run 300m in 38.0 with 12mmol, the most important limiting factor is that youe engine doesn't have POWER enough. So you must become able to produce 15mmol, and when you are able, you can run in 36.5). If you are a sprinter, 300m is the longer distance that you can use for this goal. If you are a distance runner, 500-600m are better.

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=2669719&page=5#ixzz2r2vQqwTU

He mentions about increasing blood lactate levels to get more Power.

My questions is how can you increase your blood lactate levels to 15mmol or so?

I think he mentions it there with regards 500-600m reps of high intensity with long recoveries. Admittedly this is one aspect of training physiology I have not looked at in a long while (and not in as much depth as I would have liked) but to the best of my knowlege this would be along the lines of 3x600m @ 800m pace off very long recoveries. I know 400m runners would have similar whereby they are running 300m off long recoveries (when I say long I am talking the best part of 10 min in between).

This however require a few complementary aspects of training
    - Lactic tolerance (Your bodies ability to become as efficient as possible at the height of lactic accumulation i.e minimal fading in the final 1/4 of an 800m)
    - The raw speed to be able to generate enough speed to allow your energy pathways to require that much anaerobic output.

• Advertisement

Thanks ecoli

Those repeats be fairly demanding and only done a few times in a season.

There is more from Renato Canova in this thread:
    http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=458338&page=1

I must go back and read it all again to try and absorb some more of the details.
    One thing I did lift from it last year was the 600m sessions, based on this:
    1) 6 x 600m (rec. 4 min) @85-8%
    2) (about 10 days later) 5 x 600 (rec. 5 min)@88-90%
    3) (about 10 days later) 4 x 600 (rec. 6 min) @92-95%
    4) (about 10 days later) 3 x 600 (rec. 8 min) @96-98%
    The next workout (before OG) will be 2 x 600 (rec. 10 min) @100%
    Note: not a target range, actually a progression within the session !

I did not follow the above rigidly but I have attempted these 3 times in the 18 months, probably with diminishing success. The first time was Nov-Jan13, after which I ran my indoor 2:02

Following the flu over most of christmas, and a chest infection for the last 10days my indoor season looks as if it will be wroteoff before I begin. Annoying but thats life!

Masters Indoors for me on Saturday, 800m.
    Good number of entries for Junior and U23s on Sunday.
    Entry lists for both days on AI website.

Anyone else running in Athlone this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

I'm entered (o50 800). Lost critical weeks speed work and not confident. I normally double with 1500 but just one event this year. Getting towards the end of the age group and it really does get harder each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good luck to you both lads. Doing the Leinster indoors on the 9th, will be my first time running in Athlone so really looking forward to it!

I'm racing the over 40s 800m.

Best of luck to all the lads running.

Always interested to see what peoples sessions look like when it comes to a big race week like this? How do people balance keeping the legs fresh while staying in touch with race pace?

ecoli wrote: »
    Best of luck to all the lads running.

Always interested to see what peoples sessions look like when it comes to a big race week like this? How do people balance keeping the legs fresh while staying in touch with race pace?

Can't beat 200s for that.

Beaten in sprint finish in average time. Did not have the kick today. Reflections on my log later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

Managed to win- 4th indoors in a row. combined the o45s and o50s in one race. It's always annoying to have to do this - completely changes the race pattern and you don't get to win by crossing the line first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Anyone suggest any 800m plans for a low mileage runner 30/35 mpw..
    I was thinking if I concentrated on my 5k times for the next couple of months, it would have me strong enough for late March/April with racing starting in May. Just looking for ideas/thoughts thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I was thinking if I concentrated on my 5k times for the next couple of months, it would have me strong enough for late March/April with racing starting in May. Just looking for ideas/thoughts thanks

Can't advise on any specific plans but from watching the 800m runners at my club you need to build up to 3 sessions a week, with core/gym and longer runs the other days. A mixture of over distance and under distance session on the track. Some days the coach has them doing 1k reps, other days 300s and 200s. 800m is a quick event so you need to train to be fast. That would be my opinion anyway.

I think if you are going to do a 30/35 mpw style training you are probably best off concentrating on 5k training for now to build up your aerobic base before you go into specific training as 35 mpw is not a huge amount to work with and as such your overall intensity on a daily basis will have to be pretty high to get the best bang for your buck without overcooking it and frying yourself before you get into proper race fitness. I think dna eluded to this in his review of indoors and the importance of endurance going into race specific work so my advice would be as follows

1) Next few months build strength and aerobic power this means Tempo's and CV reps (600s-1200s I think probably be the most suitable). Off such low mileage I would try to use longer aerobic threshold tempos (at around MP) as a replacement for the traditional long run (5-7 miles), Supplement this with steady longs runs (8-10 miles). It is not uncommon for 800m runners to do these longer style workouts, Joe Vigil (if you can get his book definitely worth a read) has used these to great effect with some of his runners and if you look at Brenda Martinez over the last 18 months it is not uncommon to see 10 mile tempo's pop up in here winter training

2) Turnover is something which takes practice. You should be doing something atleast once a week to work on turnover. During your endurance work these can be as simple as a lactic strides (after run or 6-8* 80-100m). These should not be hard and the recoveries in between should be sufficient that these do not become a session

3) Ancillary work is crucial - off such low mileage you will need to be making up the effort elsewhere and this is where the ancillary work comes in - weights and low intensity plyometrics should become a part of your overall weekly routine. Introduce these slowly to allow your body to adapt but stressing the CNS will be of huge value when it comes to speed development sessions in the season and also form

4) Keep your runs short but steady - off that low mileage I would say you would get a better bang for your buck running short doubles rather than longer singles. Running 2*4 milers at a steady pace (just slower than MP) will yield better aerobic returns for a low mileage 800m runner than one slower 8 mile run. The shorter runs means that your body should recover that bit better while being able to achieve high intensity but this element of training is one that will come into play more as you get closer to your season.

Once you get into your season you should aim to have one race pace session every week with a supplementary session (Over distance/ Under distance on alternating weeks). Turnover work can be counted as a third session of the week but again aim to try and keep these alactic.

Many people end up doing the opposite ha? Tried to run 800 off a very limited aerobic base? Obviously far from ideal but there comes times when you aren't fit, have a possible 800 coming up in say 2/3weeks, do ya just wing it, doing your few 800pace sessions and give it a shot on the day ha? Ok yes, that is me right at the minute ha, might jump into the Leinster indoor 800 on the 9th! Or should I forget about it ha?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Many people end up doing the opposite ha? Tried to run 800 off a very limited aerobic base? Obviously far from ideal but there comes times when you aren't fit, have a possible 800 coming up in say 2/3weeks, do ya just wing it, doing your few 800pace sessions and give it a shot on the day ha? Ok yes, that is me right at the minute ha, might jump into the Leinster indoor 800 on the 9th! Or should I forget about it ha?

Your what I would call the exception that proves the rule. I can't remember the last time you came into a season off a decent base for one reason or another all way through college but managed to race yourself into shape. Normally common sense would suggest you should forget it but knowing your history I would say go for it :D

What ecoli said.
    But keep your recovery runs sloooow.
    Hard days hard, easy days easy.
    I'll try to give more input later if I can think.
    Brain is fried with man flu this week.

Letyourselfgo

First a disclaimer, I am not a coach so anything I say is only based on what real coaches have said or written but mostly by an experiment of 1 - me. Most of this is based on my first season of 800's

Before you start, I recommend to set your target, ideally a time and a date e.g. 2:20 by mid-August (at one of the Dublin Graded Meets). From a low base, you will only get to peak for a very short time so you need to pick that carefully.

Plan an 8 week competition/sharpening phase in the lead up to that. Pick some other target races for this time, including a 400 & a 1500/mile. Five races would be ideal but you may have to adjust if you find they are taking too much out of you. Also remember just that because the season starts in May does not mean you have to. During this time your key session should be at race pace, including 400, 800 & 1500 paces.

For the next say 12-16 weeks, I think you are right to focus on 5K training, aim to get a PB - set a target time and date. Key session at 5K pace, long run up to 10 miles.

After that, plan a transition phase which is getting your body ready for the competition phase. This is the time to do hill work and strength training. Start that 600m progression I mentioned back on post #73. First time out I did a Kosmin test at the start and end to see the improvement and give an idea of paces. (see http://www.britishmilersclub.com/bmcnews/1997spring.pdf)

ecoli wrote: »
    Your what I would call the exception that proves the rule. I can't remember the last time you came into a season off a decent base for one reason or another all way through college but managed to race yourself into shape. Normally common sense would suggest you should forget it but knowing your history I would say go for it :D

Ok lets do it :P! Tonight was the 1st time back training in 2/3wks, had a chest infection and could hardly breath, not to mind run! Anyways the lads happen to be doing an 800 session anyways, so suited perfect. The session was 3 sets of 300m,200m with 1min rest between the 3 and 2, and 5mins between sets, with the 300 at 800m pace, and 200s abit quicker. My splits were 45,28, 45,28, 46,29, the last set was hard work, and I could definitely feel the lack of fitness from 1/2 way on in each rep.

I was certainly happy with the times, I've obviously managed to hang onto some bit of fitness from before, and my dayjob is fairly active and would help with my fitness, so I'm certainly not starting from scratch, but I really really am lacking any sort of consistent base of miles from the last few months.

The aim tomorrow is to get out for an easy jog, one of the lads is doing 50mins, I'll run with him as long as I can, but I know thats well outside my range for now. Session again on Friday then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

With regards to strength training, how often and when is the best day to do it, same day as a session?

Advertisement