Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A man trapped in an unhappy/unloving marriage

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FlexPlexico

Ive been in this situation, there is nothing anyone can do unless he decides to leave !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Hi OP, as other posters have pointed out its your brothers and partners problem. Stay out of it!
    He needs to "man up" to what's going on and deal with it.
    There is nothing worse than interfering family members telling him how to lead his life. He needs to decide what HE wants and how HE is going to deal with HIS future. By all means be an ear for him but don't throw your personal opions into what seems to be a very tramatic time for your brother and his wife.
    There are kids involved here, they above all should be priority.
    By the sounds of things (only one side of the story) he needs mediation or legal advice, not family advice.
    All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bef

Payton wrote: »
    Hi OP, as other posters have pointed out its your brothers and partners problem. Stay out of it!
    He needs to "man up" to what's going on and deal with it.
    There is nothing worse than interfering family members telling him how to lead his life. He needs to decide what HE wants and how HE is going to deal with HIS future. By all means be an ear for him but don't throw your personal opions into what seems to be a very tramatic time for your brother and his wife.
    There are kids involved here, they above all should be priority.
    By the sounds of things (only one side of the story) he needs mediation or legal advice, not family advice.
    All the best.
    and if hes looking for help Accord are good been to them myself theyre free also look them up online,could be very beneficial (if they want help)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FrogMarch

Payton wrote: »

If he's being emotionally abused then why would the OP stay out of it? If you had a sister who was being physically abused in her marriage, would you 'stay out of it'?

Now I'm only taking the OP's version of events at face value here but I think it's about time that society started to realise the dangers of emotional and psychological abuse in interpersonal relationships and stopped assuming that abuse is always physical and inflicted on women by men.

OP - if you feel your brother's wife is being abusive towards him, you have every right to intervene IMO. Having been in a very abusive relationship with a personality disordered woman for several years, I would have, from hindsight, really appreciated my family supporting me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭a posse ad esse

FrogMarch wrote: »
    If he's being emotionally abused then why would the OP stay out of it? If you had a sister who was being physically abused in her marriage, would you 'stay out of it'?

Now I'm only taking the OP's version of events at face value here but I think it's about time that society started to realise the dangers of emotional and psychological abuse in interpersonal relationships and stopped assuming that abuse is always physical and inflicted on women by men.

OP - if you feel your brother's wife is being abusive towards him, you have every right to intervene IMO. Having been in a very abusive relationship with a personality disordered woman for several years, I would have, from hindsight, really appreciated my family supporting me.

I agree with this post and somehow cannot thank it. No one needs to be put in a situation and tolerate any abuse whether physical or emotional whether the victim is male or female. In fact, male victims are more likely than female victims NOT to seek help. We live in a society where many still think that victims in abusive relationships are only females.

The OP is the only one in this entire thread that knows what's really going on. All I can ask is has your brother's behaviour changed much? Has he become more withdrawn or isolating himself from you and the rest of the family?

All you can really do thus far is be there for him and help him out as much as you can. It may encourage him to open up more and then maybe you will be able to find out if something is really wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

In no way am I saying physical/emotional abuse is OK, I've been on the receiving end of both and its horrendous, soul destroying, and can sink you into a state of depression.
    Unlike most posts here we are hearing this third hand, The OP's brother. So I'm being mindful that this is the OP's view albeit through his eyes.
    As I said that the OP should be there for his brother, but my point is don't go giving your view eg "you should do this, you should say that" by all means be an emotional crutch for him but just be mindful of the OP's input and others input and not to cloud his brothers already messed up situation. There are organisations and support groups (Checkout the sticky in the Relationship Forum) who would help him, that do fantastic work that I have dealt with them and possibly deal with what the OP's brother is going through.
    From personal experience everyone is willing to throw their 2c worth in but very few are willing to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bef

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Probably not very constructive, but he needs to grow a pair. He's an adult not a child or a pet.
    would he be worried about the child if he did go out seeing as she doesnt seem to want to care for the baby,not normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

vicwatson wrote: »
    Perhaps he loves her?

Or perhaps she turns him on? We don't know, but the fact is that plenty of people are in relationships with people for the most basic of reasons, many of which have to do with sexual turn-on.

Decent men and decent women get stuck with bitches/bastards because it does it for them. Simple. They are not powerless. They just sacrifice a healthy relationship in exchange for being turned on.

There is no rational reason why a person cannot walk away from another. Money comes and goes and it would not stop anybody with a medium-long term perspective from leaving. If they are not walking, they evidently figure on balance they are better off in that relationship.

In summary, therefore, I'd stay out of a relationship between any adult couple, and only help when asked (even then I'd be very reticent about talking in case they make up and your words are remembered)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Distorted

You sound very unempathetic and one sided and against "outsiders" to your family. Do you have any idea what it must have been like for this woman to have been financially forced to go back to work six weeks after having her first child, to pay a huge mortgage on her own, to provide a house for her unemployed husband to live in? And to have to deal with his snooty, unsympathetic family who do nothing but look down on her attempts to keep her family financially afloat, while attempting to break up her family and possibly steal her child away from her?

You should never interfere in other people's relationships, unless it involves minors or the most blatant ill treatment. Your assertsions of "abuse" are simply guesswork. What isn't guesswork is that your brother is unemployed, living in this woman's house quite likely free of charage and has a wife who works long hours to provide food for the table.

Aside from that, your brother is a grown adult. He is capable of making his own decisions, and tbh he seems to be doing quite well out of the marriage so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭shantolog

Distorted wrote: »
    You sound very unempathetic and one sided and against "outsiders" to your family. Do you have any idea what it must have been like for this woman to have been financially forced to go back to work six weeks after having her first child, to pay a huge mortgage on her own, to provide a house for her unemployed husband to live in? And to have to deal with his snooty, unsympathetic family who do nothing but look down on her attempts to keep her family financially afloat, while attempting to break up her family and possibly steal her child away from her?

You should never interfere in other people's relationships, unless it involves minors or the most blatant ill treatment. Your assertsions of "abuse" are simply guesswork. What isn't guesswork is that your brother is unemployed, living in this woman's house quite likely free of charage and has a wife who works long hours to provide food for the table.

Aside from that, your brother is a grown adult. He is capable of making his own decisions, and tbh he seems to be doing quite well out of the marriage so far...

To be frank it seems like you may have missed a few key pieces of information from the original post, so I will quote them for you;

As regards to the mortgage:
    Do you have any idea what it must have been like for this woman to have been financially forced to go back to work six weeks after having her first child, to pay a huge mortgage on her own, to provide a house for her unemployed husband to live in?

I think this should answer that question:
    He owned his business but lost it due to the recession, he would have survived apart from the money they are hemorraging due to the gigantic mortgage she took out in 2007 on her own. They met a year after she had bought the house and he has been paying half ever since because she knew he had savings

He is paying half a mortgage he had NO part in getting, and paying it from his savings no less, I don't see how that could be interpreted as having a house provided to you by your wife. Also the use of the word "unemployed" in your statement, in my opinion, is used in an unfairly pejorative manor, although if this is not intended I apologise.

In regards to the child:
    ...while attempting to break up her family and possibly steal her child away from her?

You should never interfere in other people's relationships, unless it involves minors or the most blatant ill treatment...

I think I would be correct in saying that she doesn't even want the child, and only had the baby to keep her relationship with the man in question intact, what type of a proper mother is that?
    The really annoying thing is, is that he always knew she never wanted children, couldn't stand them, hated other peoples kids etc and he's the complete opposite, she only agreed to that baby because we all feel that she knew she would lose him if she didn't... She spends very little time with the baby, he is home all day everyday looking after her
    ... I never saw anyone as cold hearted with her own baby in my life....you never see her holding her or cuddling her, nothing...she always tells him that shes crying or needs feeding or changing etc...that she's tired and has been at work all day and more or less tells him that this is what he wanted not her so get on with it...

Of course all we have to go on is the OP, and the woman in this story cannot have a say, unless she adds to the thread, so there is no way to tell how accurate this story is. But in my opinion this thread has swung disproportionately into the "it's their relationship so butt out" category, but should a family stop caring about a member because they are an adult?

I think not, adults after all can make the worst of choices despite their better sense,who hasn't? To me this seems like it's neither "butt out it's not your business" or "he needs to leave" scenario, a lot of people involved needs to change their mindset.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Distorted

shantolog wrote: »
    To be frank it seems like you may have missed a few key pieces of information from the original post, so I will quote them for you;

I didn't miss that information. Your perception is that I've missed agreeing with your spin on it, which are different things.
    He is paying half a mortgage he had NO part in getting, and paying it from his savings no less, I don't see how that could be interpreted as having a house provided to you by your wife. Also the use of the word "unemployed" in your statement, in my opinion, is used in an unfairly pejorative manor, although if this is not intended I apologise.

Yes, thats what you do when you get married. You share things. Presumably he didn't have his own house they could move into, so they moved into hers. He is getting a roof over his head in return for his payments. What do you suggest she does otherwise, if she can't sell the property? Give up paying, and go bankrupt? Or go out to work and pay the mortgage, like she is doing?

As for him being unemployed, is there something so special about the members of your family that render them immune from the normal descriptions applied to people in that situation? Does the man currently work for a living or not? If not, he is unemployed. ie he is without paid unemployment. Its a black and white situation. He is in fact a stay-at-home father.

And if he has such a vast amount of savings, to pay what you describe as a vast mortgage for so long, why didn't he use them to save his business? That doesn't make sense.
    In regards to the child:

I think I would be correct in saying that she doesn't even want the child, and only had the baby to keep her relationship with the man in question intact, what type of a proper mother is that?

Again, this is your spin on it, the other interpretation is that she saw it wasn't a good time financially to have a child, but he encouraged her to have one when she did. Sounds like she must really love him. Its a very common scenario and has nothing to do with whether someone is a "proper mother" or not - your spin on it again.

Originally Posted by hash for cashviewpost.gif
    The really annoying thing is, is that he always knew she never wanted children, couldn't stand them, hated other peoples kids etc and he's the complete opposite, she only agreed to that baby because we all feel that she knew she would lose him if she didn't... She spends very little time with the baby, he is home all day everyday looking after her

Originally Posted by hash for cashviewpost.gif
    ... I never saw anyone as cold hearted with her own baby in my life....you never see her holding her or cuddling her, nothing...she always tells him that shes crying or needs feeding or changing etc...that she's tired and has been at work all day and more or less tells him that this is what he wanted not her so get on with it...

Tends to be what happens when one partner has a job and the other doesn't. You are seriously suggesting that because this woman goes out to work to pay the bills while her husband is unemployed, that makes her a bad mother?? I also know plenty of female friends who say they never want children, etc - some do, some don't. I hardly think the ones that do get constantly reminded of their previous remarks, as if its taken down and noted in evidence against them in some value judgement.

Yes, I suspect she is very tired, because as you say, she works long hours and she had to go back to work to pay those bills only six weeks after giving birth. Do you have any idea how hard that must have been, physically as well as mentally? Perhaps she is so tired she is frustrated that her husband pressurised her into having a child in those circumstances. Perfectly understandable.

I should also say that there are many women (and men) out there who don't come across as Perfect Mother of the Year candidates. To extrapolate from that that they must be bad mothers and their husbands should leave them is ridiculous. My sister-in-law, for instance, behaves in exactly the same way as you describe. She nearly always gets her husband to change nappies, do other tasks with the baby, etc. And she doesn't work! In fact, there are a lot of women out there who simply look for a man to pay their way in the world and who would leave and go back home or start trying to find someone else if they found themselves in the position of having to support the entire family through their job, as your sister-in-law is doing.
    Of course all we have to go on is the OP, and the woman in this story cannot have a say, unless she adds to the thread, so there is no way to tell how accurate this story is. But in my opinion this thread has swung disproportionately into the "it's their relationship so butt out" category, but should a family stop caring about a member because they are an adult?

I think you should support your brother and not interfere and put your own prejudices and imagination into their relataionship. I honestly find the sheer "spin" on what you are writing quite shocking (far more shocking than the supposed "abusive" behaviour on the part of your sister-in-law), it is as if you have overstepped some mark as to what you should and should comment about in another person's relationship, and are unaware that the rest of the world doesn't see things in the same prejudiced light as yourselves.

You have however described perfectly understandable reasons as to why this relationship may be under pressure. But theres no getting away from the fact this woman is carrying the burden of working for the whole family, just after giving birth. I think she deservers a medal! Not criticism, wheres your humanity, for goodness sake?
    I think not, adults after all can make the worst of choices despite their better sense,who hasn't? To me this seems like it's neither "butt out it's not your business" or "he needs to leave" scenario, a lot of people involved needs to change their mindset.

You've described a hard working woman who hasn't walked out on her husband and family despite his unemployment and horrifically unsupportive and critical family. It sounds like a nightmare for her.

I think your family should examine their discomfiture over your brother not working, and stop pretending its something this hard working woman is doing. Alternatively, recognise this is a young family struggling in a harsh economic climate, with a new baby. I doubt you will though, because there seems to be an attitude to interpret innocent things as evil. I have to say I'm honestly really shocked at your posting, but I doubt you will see it that way so you are just going to have to accept that some people in the outside world don't necessarily see things in the way your family do.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FrogMarch

Distorted - your interpretation of what the OP has written is, well, distorted.

If we are to take what the OP has said at face value then really all we can conclude is that both his brother and his brother's child are being emotionally abused.
    She treats him like ****, speaks down to him all the time, gives him dirty looks when he says something to any of us. There is no love in the relationship at all.
    I never saw anyone as cold hearted with her own baby in my life....you never see her holding her or cuddling her, nothing...she always tells him that shes crying or needs feeding or changing etc...that she's tired and has been at work all day and more or less tells him that this is what he wanted not her so get on with it.

The saddest thing in all of this is the situation with the child IMO. Kids who are neglected by their primary caregivers often develop personality disorders when they reach adulthood and perpetuate the toxic and abusive cycle of terror on their own families and 'loved' ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

As multiple perspectives have been covered and the thread is going around in circles with little to no relevant/constructive advice directed towards the OP, I'm locking.

OP, if there is anything else you wish to add/discuss further please PM a PI mod.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement