Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stop ACTA and SOPA ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 prisoner42

Anyone else want to destroy Sean Sherlock's internet present by spamming every twitter,email, facebook and personel accounts he has?

seriously is this the big eared egit that was in charge of this? and has completely ignore the civil out cry.
    http://www.seansherlock.ie/

Is this his wiki page shame if something were to happen to it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se%C3%A1n_Sherlock

and his email & twitter and phone
    https://twitter.com/#!/seansherlocktd
    sean.sherlock@oireachtas.ie
    Phone: 022 53523 - Fax: 022 57761 - 087-7402057 -

come on Irish anonymous we need you!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Markronan wrote: »
    ACTA has been signed its over. What exactly does this mean? Will my internet be monitored? Will there be a 3 strike process if i download stuff? Do ISPs have to go along with it. I'm with UPC and they won a big court case recently objecting that they will not monitor customers internet traffic. What does this mean for them?

It's not over. It must be ratified before it can come into effect. That means that the Dail and Senate must vote to ratify it for it to become law in Ireland.

In addition, as I understand it, it must also be ratified by the EU Parliament before it can come into effect throughout the EU.

That gives us two places where it can be stopped before it becomes law. Far from being over, this campaign is only starting... So don't go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

where the best place to get information on the latest version of acta, some say it doens't have filtering in it anymore, but it could still used to bully isps into fitlering themselves

• Advertisement

where the best place to get information on the latest version of acta, some say it doens't have filtering in it anymore, but it could still used to bully isps into fitlering themselves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement

I think they have a link to the text on the wikipedia page. On the right in the brief overview box.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement

I think they have a link to the text on the wikipedia page. On the right in the brief overview box.
    thanks, was looking elsewhere a finding most stuff from 2010 and before.

ok i get it now they say they "not mandating anything" except removing ISP safe harbour if don't apply self-filtering http://t.co/YuFEGFhc just like today, lay up legal threats to force self filtering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

So what does this mean for right here and now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Regarding Minister Sherlock' Statutory Instrument, I believe there is much less to worry about than the hype would have me believe prior to its publication.

In the primary sense it grants a copyright holder the right to apply for "an injunction against an intermediary" .... presumably the likes of an ISP ....... BUT it does direct the court which may be granting such an injunction to
    "have due regard to the rights of any person likely to be affected by virtue of the grant of any such injunction and the court shall grant such directions (including, where appropriate, a direction requiring a person to be notified of the application) as the court considers appropriate in all the circumstances."

The rights of ISPs have been clearly set out previously I believe, and they cannot be compelled to monitor all their users' traffic.
    I believe it clearly states in the SI that the rights of ALL persons affected must be taken into account when an injunction is granted.

Surely it would be preferable to have primary legislation to deal with the issues, but this SI does not appear to go as far off course as I have been led to believe from reading the 'anti' campaign writings.

What am I missing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Sean Sherlock's phone number: 0877402057
    We are one.

I received the following email responses:

Joe Costello
    Thank you for your e-mail regarding copyright protection and the Internet. Please find below the text of the draft Statutory Instrument and a statement from Minister Sean Sherlock that should provide some clarification on the matter.

It should be noted that the proposed Statutory Instrument does not implement a new EU Directive, but is being put in place as the High Court had ruled that Ireland had not fully transposed the relevant EU Directive(s) as part of the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000. It should also be noted that this Statutory Instrument is not related to the Anticounterfeiting and Trade Agreement (ACTA) and that Ireland and the EU are not signatories to this agreement.

Yours sincerely,

Joe

DRAFT:

R E G U L A T I O N S
    entitled

European Union (Copyright and Related Rights) Regulations 2012

To be made by the
    Minister for Jobs, Enterprise

and Innovation

I, _____________, Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, in exercise of the powers conferred on me by section 3 of the European Communities Act 1972 (No. 27 of 1972) and for the purpose of giving further effect to Directive 2001/29/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 May 2001 O.J. No. L. 167, 22.6.2001, p.10., hereby make the following regulations:
    1. These Regulations may be cited as the European Union (Copyright and Related Rights) Regulations 2012.

2. The Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000 (No. 28 of 2000) is amended -

(a) in section 40, by inserting the following subsection after subsection (5):

“(5A) (a) The owner of the copyright in a work may, in respect of that work, apply to the High Court for an injunction against an intermediary to whom paragraph 3 of Article 8 of Directive 2001/29/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 May 200111 O.J. No. L. 167, 22.6.2001, p.10. on the harmonisation of certain aspects of copyright and related rights in the information society applies.

(b) In considering an application for an injunction under this subsection, the court shall have due regard to the rights of any person likely to be affected by virtue of the grant of any such injunction and the court shall give such directions (including, where appropriate, a direction requiring a person be notified of the application) as the court considers appropriate in all of the circumstances.”, and

(b) in section 205, by inserting the following subsection after subsection (9):

“(9A) (a) The rightsowner of any right conferred by Parts III and IV may, in respect of that right, apply to the High Court for an injunction against an intermediary to whom paragraph 3 of Article 8 of Directive 2001/29/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 May 200111 O.J. No. L. 167, 22.6.2001, p.10. on the harmonisation of certain aspects of copyright and related rights in the information society applies.

(b) In considering an application for an injunction under this subsection, the court shall have due regard to the rights of any person likely to be affected by virtue of the grant of any such injunction and the court shall grant such directions (including, where appropriate, a direction requiring a person to be notified of the application) as the court considers appropriate in all the circumstances.”.

GIVEN under my Official Seal,
    ____ ________ 2012.

See below note detailing background to changes to Company Law Legislation:

Legitimate Copyright Protection in Ireland: not SOPA – Sherlock

We all subscribe to the freedoms, the opportunities and the access to information that the Internet provides us with. Ireland is home to some of the world’s most innovative internet companies and we are determined to grow our reputation as a location where smart people and these smart companies can continue to innovate in this fast moving arena.

The last thing innovators need is a culture where the outputs of their creative endeavours have to be locked away or kept secret for the fear of theft. Ireland is very proud of the fact that we have a modern suite of intellectual property laws that by their very nature balance a range of competing interests and rights in a manner that is seen, right across the globe, as reasonable and proportionate.

Going right back to 22 December , 2002, the date by which every EU Member State had to have implemented Directive 2001/29/EC, every EU country has had to “ensure that rightholders are in a position to apply for an injunction against intermediaries whose services are used by third parties to infringe a copyright or related right”. Having that provision enshrined in EU law and the laws of Member States for a decade has not restricted the development of the Internet or innovative internet companies. On the contrary, the Internet has flourished.

It may be useful to explain the background against which the requirement for the amendment to the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000 has arisen. In the EMI & others versus UPC High Court judgment of 11 October 2010, Mr Justice Charleton decided that he was constrained by the wording of the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000 and thus could not grant an injunction to prevent infringement of copyright against an information service provider (ISP) in the circumstances of “mere conduit” (transient communications). In doing so, he stated that Ireland had not fully transposed the relevant EU Directive(s). As you will appreciate, non-compliance with EU law is a very serious matter.

The “Mere conduit” principle provides that if an ISP does not initiate a transmission, or modify the material contained in a transmission and does not select the receiver of the transmission, it is granted a “safe harbour” against liability, by virtue of the e-Commerce Directive [2000/31/EC]. However, according to the same directive, this freedom from liability does not affect the power of the courts to require service providers to terminate or prevent copyright infringements.

Two EU directives (the Copyright Directive 2001 and the Enforcement Directive 2004) require that the holders of copyright - authors, music composers, lyricists, record producers etc. - are in a position to apply for an injunction against intermediaries whose services are used by a third party to infringe a copyright or related right.

The Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation had considered that injunctions were available under Section 40 (4) of the Copyright Act and the inherent power of the courts to grant injunctions, which are equitable and discretionary remedies, granted according to settled principles, developed by the courts. However, this was not Mr Justice Charleton’s view.

The Attorney General’s Office has advised that the obligation contained in the Directive is clear and unambiguous. Rightholders must have a mechanism available to them to apply for an injunction against intermediaries where their intellectual property rights are being breached. Separately the Office advised that the prudent course was to introduce a Regulation to ensure compliance.

The Department launched a public consultation on the text of the proposed Statutory Instrument. The consultation attracted over 50 submissions from interested parties. Rightsholders were in favour of the proposal with some claiming it did not go far enough. Telecom companies, in general, argued that it was not necessary and some argued that the findings in the EMI v UPC case were incorrect, that Judge Charlton, in stating that Ireland was not in compliance with the Directive, was mis-informed. Others argued that fundamental human rights could be at risk. Having considered all these submissions and for the avoidance of doubt, it is intended to introduce a Statutory Instrument to restate the position that was considered to exist prior to this judgment.

Concerns have been expressed that the proposed Statutory Instrument mirrors the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the United States. These concerns are not based on fact. The purpose of the Statutory Instrument is simply to provide explicitly that injunctions may be sought, as obligated by the two EU Directives cited above. It should also be noted that such injunctions are available in all other Member States of the European Union by virtue of the two Directives already referred to and have been required since at least December 2002 and since that time the internet has flourished. Europe is quite unlike the United States. In granting any injunctions an Irish court must take account of Court of Justice of the European Union judgements. The court must consider the rights of any person (including businesses) likely to be affected.

EU law has held that copyright is not an absolute right but must be balanced with other rights protected by the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.

No national authority or court can require an ISP to carry out general monitoring of the information that it transmits on its network. This means an ISP cannot be asked to monitor all of the data of each of its customers in order to prevent any future infringement of intellectual property rights.

National courts must strike a fair balance between the protection of copyright and the protection of the fundamental rights of individuals who are affected by such measures.

National courts must strike a fair balance between the protection of the intellectual property right enjoyed by copyright holders and that of the freedom to conduct a business enjoyed by operators such as ISPs.

Neither can the courts grant an injunction that would infringe the fundamental rights of that ISP’s customers, namely their right to protection of their personal data and their freedom to receive and impart information.

The Court of Justice of the European Union, on 24 November 2011, clearly laid out these principles that will guide all national courts in future (Case C-70/10- SABAM). It also found in that case that requiring an ISP to install a contested filtering system would not be respecting the requirement that a fair balance be struck between the right to intellectual property and the freedom to conduct business, the right to protection of personal data and the freedom to receive or impart information.

In proposing to amend the legislation, I am particularly conscious of the importance of online content and digital businesses in the Irish context and, accordingly, am simply seeking to ensure Ireland’s continued compliance with its obligations under the relevant EU Directives following the decision of the High Court in the aforementioned UPC case. It is very clear from the rulings of European Court that any remedy applied will have to be proportionate and we can be confident that this approach protects rightsholders by allowing them the access to the courts that we must provide while protecting the fundamental rights of third parties.

I trust that this information will clarify the issue.

I later received this from Joe

Further to my earlier e-mail, Ireland did, of course, sign ACTA today; however, the treaty has yet to be ratified. As stated earlier, ACTA is not related to the proposed Statutory Instrument.

I am sorry for the earlier unintentional inaccuracy and for any confusion.

Your sincerely,

Joe

Stephen Donnelly
    Dear *****,

Thank you for your email on Sean Sherlock's proposed new internet copyright law. I was made aware of this earlier this week and yesterday tackled the Taoiseach on it in the Dáil chamber, requesting that the proposed legislation be published (which had been refused to date) and that the Dáil be given the opportunity to debate it. (You can read that exchange here.) Sean Sherlock has now published the draft legislation, which you can read here, and we are pushing for it to be given time for debate in the Dáil (beyond a small amount it is getting today, as a topical issues debate).

I am very worried by two aspects of this entire episode. Firstly, the legislation itself, which, according to experts I am consulting with, appears to be ill-conceived for a number of reasons. And secondly, the fact that it was apparently going to be pushed through without debate, and that initial calls for debate were stonewalled. I will keep pushing the Government on this issue on your behalf and will speak on the bill when time is allocated for debate.

In the meantime, my office is focussing on two unrelated, but very significant matters. One is the forthcoming payment of a €3.1 billion promissory note, at the end of March, and the other is crisis mortgages. On Friday 3rd February I will be bringing new legislation to the Dáil which, in a small way, will redress the imbalance in power and rights between lenders and home owners. You can read about that here, and if you would like to contact your local TDs on this issue, that would be very helpful. (NB. It's often more effective to directly contact your local TD than to email all TDs at the same time.)

I keep people updated on these issues and other developments via a weekly email. You'd be most welcome to sign up for it, here.

Thank you for getting involved.

Regards

Stephen

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MissKK

Markronan wrote: »
    ACTA has been signed its over. What exactly does this mean? Will my internet be monitored? Will there be a 3 strike process if i download stuff? Do ISPs have to go along with it. I'm with UPC and they won a big court case recently objecting that they will not monitor customers internet traffic. What does this mean for them?

ACTA was signed by 26 member states today in the Council of Ministers. This does not mean ACTA has been ratified or placed into law! This is just the first stage in the European Process. It still has to be discussed at Committee level and then brought to the Plenary. So while the member states have agreed to it, the European Parliament has yet to come to a decision on it, only after today's process can they begin the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Markronan

What did Sherlock mean at the end that this will be imminent? Statutory Instrument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fennessy101

Hi,

just spreading awareness

http://stopactaireland.weebly.com/index.html

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭deckybarr

This is a reply that I got from Martin Ferris
    Latest is that your lobbying and political pressure on Sherlock has forced him to have a mini debate on this next Thursday. That is inadequate as it is merely window dressing and we will continue to press for the whole issue to be properly debated and voted on and that the Ministerial order not go ahead pending that and pending proper legislation, with full input from people interested in the issue; to protect intellectual freedom, access to information and sensible measures to protect copyright holders where there is blatant commercial exploitation rather than this hamfisted and potentially dangerous measure as it stands.

I think we now need to push to have the full debate and for it to have to be voted on.

This is a reply that I got from Martin Ferris
    Quote:
    Latest is that your lobbying and political pressure on Sherlock has forced him to have a mini debate on this next Thursday. That is inadequate as it is merely window dressing and we will continue to press for the whole issue to be properly debated and voted on and that the Ministerial order not go ahead pending that and pending proper legislation, with full input from people interested in the issue; to protect intellectual freedom, access to information and sensible measures to protect copyright holders where there is blatant commercial exploitation rather than this hamfisted and potentially dangerous measure as it stands.

Wow! So there is at least one politician who either has a good grasp of the situation or at minimum has someone who does, advising him.

So yes .... still more pressure required to get a full debate around the whole issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aidan Leonard

yep, cmon people. we have to sign the petitions. we cant let this go ahead

• Advertisement

Found this online
    Dear Minister,

As the organisation representing Internet Service Providers in Ireland, we must express our concerns about the consequent legal uncertainty in the event of the Statutory Instrument amending the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000 being introduced. The wording of the S.I. published yesterday by Minister Sean Sherlock TD is vague and overly broad. It creates further business uncertainty for those running or considering establishing Internet services from Ireland; a sector crucial to our economic recovery.

It has always been our belief that when the European Directive was drafted, in the context of injunctive recourse for rightsholders, lawmakers intended the term ‘intermediary’ to refer to operations which actively facilitate copyright infringement (an example being the recent closure of Megaupload). It was not intended to encompass legitimate business like Internet access providers, who merely provide the technical infrastructure over which the information flows, or hosting providers who simply offer server space to online service companies over which the host has no oversight or direct control. Moreover, it is not inconceivable that this could be applied to search engines such as Google and other similar services that merely refer to where content may be found on the Internet.

This S.I. apparently gives “carte blanche” for injunctions against any type of intermediary with discretion purely lying with the judiciary. This could have drastic consequences for Internet services companies which already employ many thousands of Irish citizens and offer enormous opportunities for further job creation.

We respectfully request that you reject this S.I. and consider alternatives in light of the imminent report of the “Consultation on the Review of the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000” currently being run by the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation.

Yours sincerely,
    Paul Durrant
    General Manager
    ISPAI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

got a few more emails during the week and two attachments from Phil Prendergast
    Dear Constituent,

I fully support a comprehensive framework for internet management, which strikes a balance between the rights of copyright holders, the Internet Service Providers and the end users.

The European Parliament has adopted two resolutions on ACTA in the last 12 months. The European Parliament has also been to the forefront in asking for increased transparency and it called for the European Commission to present all relevant studies and impact assessments on ACTA during the negotiation process.

In the European Parliament, the lead committee responsible for the report is the International Trade Committee. Mr Kader Arif from France and a member of the Socialist Party is the rapporteur for the report. The Development, Industry, Legal Affairs and Civil Liberties Committees will all present their opinions to the International Trade Committee.

In order to be adopted ACTA will require the signature of the EU and all of the Member States. As you are aware Minister for State, Sean Sherlock published a Copyright Bill on the 26 January 2012 to amend copyright legislation in the near future.

I appreciate your concerns on this issue. While at present, I am not a member of the International Trade Committee in the European Parliament or any of the above committees conducting an opinion, I can confirm that I will raise your concerns with both my colleagues on the International Trade Committee and Minister Sherlock.

Yours sincerely,
    Pat the Cope Gallagher MEP
    Dear ■■■■■■■■■■,

Many thanks for your email concerning the ACTA agreement. This is an issue that Paul Murphy MEP and the Socialist Party feels very strongly about. We completely oppose the ACTA agreement and have been actively campaigning against it in the European Parliament. Paul Murphy MEP has also been calling for the debate about the agreement to be held in a public and transparent manner and not behind closed doors as it has been up to now.

We share your concern that the agreement infringes on the principles of freedom of speech on the internet. We believe that states should not have the power to censor and/or block access to the internet. This could be used in the future to limit the basic democratic rights to freedom of expression and association.

As well as infringing on the rights of internet users the ACTA agreement will also make it more difficult for states to supply generic drugs which could put affordable medicines beyond the reach of the world's most poor. The ACTA agreement could also be used to block access to seeds which would cause hardship to the world's poorest farmers. It is clear that ACTA serves the interest of big business and runs counter to the interests of the world's poor and to democratic rights.

For ACTA to be passed it must be approved by the European Parliament. It will therefore be discussed in different the parliamentary committees before being put to a vote in a plenary session later in the year. Paul Murphy MEP will be voting against it at all stages as it goes through the European Parliament.

Paul Murphy MEP is a member of the International Trade committee (INTA) of the European Parliament. This committee is the main Parliamentary committee concerning the ACTA agreement. The agreement has been discussed in the committee on various occasions while the talks on the deal were ongoing. ACTA will be discussed and voted on again in the International Trade Committee in the coming months, the dates of these meetings have not yet been confirmed however we expect it to be out of committee stage and be put to vote in a plenary session this Summer. Paul Murphy will of course use these debates in the committee to continue to oppose ACTA and to express your concerns. We will keep our website updated with the progress of these discussions (www.paulmurphymep.eu).

ACTA was discussed in the Development Committee (DEVE) last week, Paul Murphy MEP is not a member of the Development committee but he has discussed the matter with colleagues of his from the United Left (GUE/NGL) parliamentary group that sit on that committee and raised your concerns with them. There is a consensus of opposition to ACTA in the GUE/NGL group.

I hope this email helped to clarify Paul Murphy's and the Socialist Party's position on ACTA. Paul Murphy intends to write a more detailed article for his website in the coming weeks on this matter so please feel free to check his site for that. If you have any further comments or would like to discuss ACTA or other issues further please feel free to keep in touch.

Kind Regards,
    Finghín
    ■■■■■■■■■■,
    Thank you for your email regarding the Anti Counterfeiting Trade Agreement.

Committees in the European Parliament are currently discussing this agreement and it is expected to come before Parliament for vote later in the year.

Your email is one of a number that I have received on the issue and I will take your concerns into consideration during discussions.

Thank you for writing to me.

Kind regards

Is mise le meas
    Brian

Brian Crowley MEP

email from Dessie Ellis TD
    Gavin a chara, Thank you for your email on this very important issues. I was one of the first TD's to raise the issue in the house and have followed subsequent discussion with great interest.
    Sinn Féin have called on the Government to have a full debate in the Dáil on measures governing access to the internet. This was in response to an interview with the Minister responsible Seán Sherlock which left many questions to be answered regarding the implications of the legislation.

The Minister is claiming that he needs to act in order to reflect both a recent Court judgement and two EU directives, he appears to be pretty vague regarding the implications of what he is proposing. Experts in the field are taking a diametrically opposed view to that of the Minister.

There is understandable fear among both commercial and private users of the internet that this will leave the door open to actions that would severely restrict access to information if copyright holders can secure orders preventing it being made available.

That would not only represent a significant attack on individual freedom but also a threat to a healthy sector of the Irish economy which has attracted major international players to locate here.

In the interests of teasing all of this out I and my colleagues are calling on the Government to facilitate a debate and to present legislation that will require approval by the Oireachtas prior to any enactment. That would allow a full debate with meaningful inputs from all interested parties.

Thanks again for raising the issue with us.
    Le meas,
    Dessie Ellis TD

Dessie Ellis, Teachta Dála
    Baile Átha Cliath Siar ó Thuaidh
    Guthán: (01) 618 3006
    Riomh Phoist: dessie.ellis@oir.ie
    http://facebook.com/dessie.ellis
    http://twitter.com/cllrdessieellis
    www.dessieellis.ie

Sera wrote:
    got a few more emails during the week and two attachments from Phil Prendergast
    Quote:
    Dear Constituent,

I fully support a comprehensive framework for internet management, which strikes a balance between the rights of copyright holders, the Internet Service Providers and the end users.

The European Parliament has adopted two resolutions on ACTA in the last 12 months. The European Parliament has also been to the forefront in asking for increased transparency and it called for the European Commission to present all relevant studies and impact assessments on ACTA during the negotiation process.

In the European Parliament, the lead committee responsible for the report is the International Trade Committee. Mr Kader Arif from France and a member of the Socialist Party is the rapporteur for the report. The Development, Industry, Legal Affairs and Civil Liberties Committees will all present their opinions to the International Trade Committee.

In order to be adopted ACTA will require the signature of the EU and all of the Member States. As you are aware Minister for State, Sean Sherlock published a Copyright Bill on the 26 January 2012 to amend copyright legislation in the near future.

I appreciate your concerns on this issue. While at present, I am not a member of the International Trade Committee in the European Parliament or any of the above committees conducting an opinion, I can confirm that I will raise your concerns with both my colleagues on the International Trade Committee and Minister Sherlock.

Yours sincerely,
    Pat the Cope Gallagher MEP

You might write to friend Pat and tell him Mr. Kader Arif resigned .....

Here is a reference if he needs it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16757142
    Kader Arif, the European Parliament's rapporteur for the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (Acta), resigned over the issue on Friday.

Protest on Saturday, details here:
    http://www.facebook.com/events/284626631593223/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

You might write to friend Pat and tell him Mr. Kader Arif resigned
    resigned over the issue on Friday.
    we're bffs me and Pat (lol jk srsly), that's strange because I got the email on Friday, thanks for that :3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Jim Higgins response

Dear Darren,

Many thanks for your email in relation to ACTA.

I was involved in the debate on ACTA. I am fully aware of the importance of the digital economy to Ireland, however, I believe there are a number of misunderstandings in relation the impact ACTA will have on it.

ACTA will not change EU law. It is about enforcing the existing rules and giving the holders of intellectual property rights the tools to pursue their right should they be confronted with large-scale counterfeits. Everybody who holds an intellectual property (IP) right, from the wine producer to the owner of entertainment software, will be able to count on common rules regarding the way they can complain with the authorities and how a complaint is dealt with. However, ACTA does not push the balance of rights towards IP right-holders. It fully respects free Internet and safeguards the role of service providers, as well as of the European system of copyright exceptions. The European regime of conditional exemption of liability for Internet operators, but also the European exceptions like private or educational use, will remain valid and unchanged. Respect for fundamental rights such as, privacy, freedom of expression and data protection is enshrined as a basic principle of the agreement and provisions in this regard are clearly stated in the text.

There also seems to be a misunderstanding in relation to how the ACTA agreement was negotiated. The text of ACTA is publicly available to all. The negotiations were not different from negotiations on any other international agreement. It is a fact that such agreements are not negotiated in public, but with the Lisbon Agreement and the revised Framework Agreement there are clear rules on how the Parliament should be informed of such trade negotiations. These have been followed. The European Commissioner for Trade (Karl De Gucht) participated in three Parliament debates, and replied to several written and oral questions, as well to two Resolutions and one Declaration of the Parliament, whilst Commission services have provided several dedicated briefings to MEPs during the negotiations.

In relation to how ACTA may affect access to affordable medicines in the developing world, there are no provisions in ACTA that could directly or indirectly affect the trade in generic medicines or global public health. The Commission has consulted on a number of occasions in the course of the last two years with public health stake-holders and NGOs, as well as with companies and associations producing generics and even with representatives of countries like Brazil and India, to ensure that ACTA would not impact on the access to affordable medicines for developing countries.

I hope this reply is of assistance to you.

Regards,

Jim Higgins MEP and Quaestor
    European Parliament
    ASP 13 E 102, Rue Wiertz,
    B - 1047 Bruxelles
    Tel: +32.2.28.37.84.3
    Fax: +32.2.28.49.84.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hibernianeggs

I think THIS COMMENT HAS BEEN BANNED BY ACTA my hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭deckybarr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 maknak

Acta is not only about Internet. It's about everything. E-v-e-r-y single trade. Monopoly at each stage. No more home made websites, small family restaurants, garages, marketing offices, solicitors, radios, TV programs and many more. Check this maknak3.blogspot.com, we are only small,nothing worth pests.

Advertisement