Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The end of an era.

Retirement of Saint Patrick (John Durcan):
    "Due to ongoing health problems good old Saint Patrick sadly has to return to the Holy Mountain but he will remain to see the arrival of Sam in September(Please God) and there is many more Sams in the coming years from this fine young team.
    The last 10 years have been a roller coaster (2004, 2006 and 2012)with many hospital dinners along the trip. Many, Many thanks for friendships made forever I will be clocking 70 next year but, I will be around for a fresh indoor adventure with other fish to fry. God bless all and Mayo GAA forever!" The words of Mayo's mascot for a whole decade! Good luck Saint Pat!

ef59XEt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

padd b1975 wrote: »
    The end of an era.

ef59XEt.jpg

Brought a bit of colour and life to the games! Had a good laugh at the incident where someone stole his bodhran stick and threw it at Kieran Donaghy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Brought a bit of colour and life to the games! Had a good laugh at the incident where someone stole his bodhran stick and threw it at Kieran Donaghy!
    Ha ha! that was a major scandal at the time, always thought it was a wooden spoon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Ha ha! that was a major scandal at the time, always thought it was a wooden spoon though.

Yeah you're probably right about it being a wooden spoon! Something most Irish people have a morbid fear of since youth!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭naughto

The end of an era.

ef59XEt.jpg

thought he was a dose to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

naughto wrote: »
    thought he was a dose to be honest

If 'a dose' is the same as 'a tool' then I agree with you.

If 'a dose' is the same as 'a tool' then I agree with you.
    ya it is,there was no need for it.and then every time a game was on tv he would be shown,could he not just go the games like every one else,then come on here and boast how good ot feels to beat the rossies and galway.

iam hearing that the hotels intown are all full up for the game sunday week all 3 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

ya it is,there was no need for it.and then every time a game was on tv he would be shown,could he not just go the games like every one else,then come on here and boast how good ot feels to beat the rossies and galway.

iam hearing that the hotels intown are all full up for the game sunday week all 3 of them.

Must be a big crowd coming from London :p

Must be a big crowd coming from London :p
    ya thats what i ment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Are there tickets on sale in Supervalu or Centra now?

• Advertisement

Are there tickets on sale in Supervalu or Centra now?
    not untill next week as far as i no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Was he hogging your television time on you, naughto?

A great character who added to the occasion of every match he attended. Sport doesn't just cater for identikit people and if it did the stands and the game would be so boring as to be not worth our time.

Show a little respect. He hurt no one and enhanced many peoples' days.

Syferus wrote: »

A great character who added to the occasion of every match he attended. Sport doesn't just cater for identikit people and if it did the stands and the game would be so boring as to be not worth our time.

he did not enhanced many peoples' days for me he was a pain i nthe hole

Totally agree, he just paraded around the place with his banners that not even funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I don't think the St Paddy mascot guy even knew what was going on in games but loved the attention. JOHN 3:7 sign guy is another chap but at least he stands in one spot.

I don't think the St Paddy mascot guy even knew what was going on in games but loved the attention. JOHN 3:7 sign guy is another chap but at least he stands in one spot.

John 3:7 is far, far worse. Plenty of stories of him whacking Dubs with the sign lifting it up on the Hill. That's probably a plus point for most of us, but still.

St. Pat mainly does his big routine at half-time, and he certainly roiled up the Mayo support around me in the Dublin match last September. There needs to be more colour at big GAA matches, not less.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The guy is dying of cancer, have a bit of respect. He hurt no one and added a laugh for some and a cringe for others.
    Hope he lives to see an AI title.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You obviously haven't spoke to the man then? His knowledge on Mayo and Connacht football is "jimmy magee"esc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I never understood the animosity towards the man, he added a bit of craic to games that is often lacking.

yop wrote: »
    The guy is dying of cancer, have a bit of respect. He hurt no one and added a laugh for some and a cringe for others.
    every one is entitiled to there opinion i have made mine clear

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »

how was he hogging my tv time stop trying to stir sh1te.
    do you go to football matches to look at the people i go to them to watch football i dont need some one dressed like a clown to enjoy the game.
    if rosscommon had more players that could play football then you woulent need to be looking at the crowd to get enjoyment from the game.

every one is entitiled to there opinion i have made mine clear

Says a lot about you then.

Says a lot about you then.
    so should i change my opinion just because some one has cancer?

so should i change my opinion just because some one has cancer?

Not on about your opinion, if your tunnelled vision to not avert your opinion/view from the fact its a game and not see that the lad behind the costume is dying then its a sad reflection on you.

Stick with your opinion for sure, I suspect you will be on your own in that regard.

Not on about your opinion, if your tunnelled vision to not avert your opinion/view from the fact its a game and not see that the lad behind the costume is dying then its a sad reflection on you.

Stick with your opinion for sure, I suspect you will be on your own in that regard.
    i knew he was sick before i made my comments.why do people chnage there minds on some one just cos there sick.
    any ways this a mayo gaa thread not one for peole that are sick.

Regardless of his health the guys presence or absences from a Mayo game will not affect me.
    As I said I thought he was a bit of a tool, an attention seeker and his banners were not even funny.
    I hope he lives to see multiple AI titles for Mayo.

Donal Vaughan may be next to join the 'hope to be back for August' list

From the Mayo News
    Last weekend’s third round of Mayo club championship matches would seem to have passed off without any major incident in terms of injuries to county panelists, but there were a number of issues that cropped up.
    Arguably the most serious of them was a hamstring injury sustained by Ballinrobe’s Donal Vaughan. The Mayo centre-back was replaced after fifteen minutes of his club’s draw with Ballaghaderreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Always_Running

You obviously haven't spoke to the man then? His knowledge on Mayo and Connacht football is "jimmy magee"esc
    No i haven't spoke to him however i doubt Jimmy Magee walks around with his back to game as it's going on.

All the best to him hope he pulls through his illness.

Hamstring injuries can be pure muck to deal with. You could be fine in a week and at the same time it could trouble you for months. We had two lads with hamstring injuries this year and one spent six months on and off the blocks and the other had to opt off the panel after it reaccoured. Given we're out I have no worries in hoping injuries don't become the story of Mayo's championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yop totally agree with your sentiments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement