Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Driver with Ear Phones in

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭stephen97

fare or fair, i just didn't understand the bad grammar and bad use of english

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

stephen97 wrote: »
    fare or fair, i just didn't understand the bad grammar and bad use of english

Fare means the price you pay to travel not sure if your having a pop at me there but that is uncalled for if you are.

Fare means the price you pay to travel not sure if your having a pop at me there but that is uncalled for if you are.
    no not at all, its just i was wondering if you meant a paying fare or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

stephen97 wrote: »
    no not at all, its just i was wondering if you meant a paying fare or something else?

No worries:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

When radio control on Dublin's buses was first mooted, one of the objections was that it could be distracting to the driver. :)
    I'd imagine earphones could a safety issue if they isolate the driver from his surroundings, i.e. if he can't hear bells, horns, emergency vehicles etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

bmaxi wrote: »
    I'd imagine earphones could a safety issue if they isolate the driver from his surroundings, i.e. if he can't hear bells, horns, emergency vehicles etc.

Well if you beleive that then surely logic would suggest that deaf people should not be allowed drive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well if you beleive that then surely logic would suggest that deaf people should not be allowed drive ?
    It's got less to do with not being able to hear external noises, although that certainly does play a role, and more to do with the way listening to anything through earphones decreases your concentration on what is happening around you in a way that listening to the same content via speakers doesn't. I'm sure I've read studies that confirm that, but you only have to watch the way pedestrians wearing headphones on the street interact (or rather don't) with those around them to know it's a bad idea. Anyway, deaf people are a different case, as they're fully aware of their disability, and overcompensate using their other senses to make up for their lack of hearing.

Not necessarily the same thing. Like most people with disabilities, deaf people if they don't wear a hearing aid, will compensate by heightening other senses. Driving with earphones in is more a substitution of what you should be listening for and IMO, because of the concentrated nature of the sound would tend to make you less aware of your surroundings.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Not necessarily the same thing. Like most people with disabilities, deaf people if they don't wear a hearing aid, will compensate by heightening other senses. Driving with earphones in is more a substitution of what you should be listening for and IMO, because of the concentrated nature of the sound would tend to make you less aware of your surroundings.

Really I fail to see how a heightened sense of touch,smell or taste could compensate for deafness. As for the concentrated nature of the sound I think that's more to with the content of what you're listening to rather than the way its delivered. Personally when I'm driving I find instructions from my controller far more of a distraction than a bit of background muzak.

Really I fail to see how a heightened sense of touch,smell or taste could compensate for deafness. As for the concentrated nature of the sound I think that's more to with the content of what you're listening to rather than the way its delivered. Personally when I'm driving I find instructions from my controller far more of a distraction than a bit of background muzak.
    It's the heightened sense of awareness that comes with disability. When you listen through earphones it's not just background music, surely that's the whole idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

right lets be realistic here.
    the o.p. is correct in that the driver isn't supposed to be wearing an ear piece. the only people that can deal with that is either management or inspectors.
    the boss of me is correct in that dealing with someone over the radio i.e. a controller can also be a huge distraction. hence the reason why some drivers dont reply till they're either stopped or reach their terminus.
    now the o.p. is annoyed that the driver was wearing earphones and rightly so. in other words the o.p. wasn't getting the full attention of the driver. so is the thread a one sided one.
    where it's alright for passengers to be yaking on their mobiles and not paying attention to the driver???????? but yet when the driver is supposedly wearing ear phones most of you are calling for their head.
    most places that deal with customers now have signs along the lines of " please refrain from using mobiles when dealing with members of staff" i know all the banks have this type of sign and these signs are getting more and more common.
    whats good for the goose is also good for the gander :D.
    i mentioned by laws in an earlier post and while it was rightly pointed out about using mobiles not being but i did mention the most passengers tend to break the by laws heres a few from the link.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/Passenger-Behaviour/
    "No passenger who, in the opinion of an authorised person, is in a state of intoxication or otherwise in an unfit or improper condition shall board or remain on the vehicle."
    god knows the amount of drunks we have to put up with during the weekend nights esp. yet we dont enforce this unless the person is a danger to themselves.

" No person shall throw or deposit any litter, lighted match, cigarette, cigar, cheroot, chewing gum or other substance on the vehicle except into a receptacle expressly provided for that purpose."
    wowwwwwwwwww. what do we have here is it the word "litter"????
    someone on another thread asked is the driver supposed to clean the bus.
    well if the by law wasn't broken then there is no need to clean the bus. but hey thats why we have cleaners working round the clock.

now to my favourite. taaa daaaa.

"No person shall consume alcoholic drinks or other beverages or food while on the vehicle. "
    please note the words
    alcoholic drinks
    ENOUGH SAID :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    food
    you know that snack your dying for and open the wrapper and start munching on the bus. well it's a no no
    ohhhhhh ,hmmmmm ahhhhhh the sweet smell of mcdonalds.
    guess what. NO NO.
    and
    other beverages.
    yes folks other beverages, you know that travel mug you use in the mornings well it's a no no, you know that nice cold bottle of water your drinking on the bus in the searing heat , or that nice cold crisp bottle of sprite. well they're all a no no.
    bet yas didn't know those ones.
    but heyyy do we enforce them.the only one thats mainly enforced is the alcoholic drinks, everything else we tend to turn a blind eye to.
    buttt if you people want the rules enforced i've absolutely no problem in enforcing the drinks and food by law. these are the by laws i was on about where passengers tend to break .
    swings and roundabouts folks, swings and roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

But after all that is said we are just passengers and not tasked with driving a vehicle with 90+ passengers on board. The driver on the other hand must adhere to the rules of the road as well as the company's own rules.

right lets be realistic here.
    the o.p. is correct in that the driver isn't supposed to be wearing an ear piece. the only people that can deal with that is either management or inspectors.
    the boss of me is correct in that dealing with someone over the radio i.e. a controller can also be a huge distraction. hence the reason why some drivers dont reply till they're either stopped or reach their terminus.
    now the o.p. is annoyed that the driver was wearing earphones and rightly so. in other words the o.p. wasn't getting the full attention of the driver. so is the thread a one sided one.
    where it's alright for passengers to be yaking on their mobiles and not paying attention to the driver???????? but yet when the driver is supposedly wearing ear phones most of you are calling for their head.
    most places that deal with customers now have signs along the lines of " please refrain from using mobiles when dealing with members of staff" i know all the banks have this type of sign and these signs are getting more and more common.
    whats good for the goose is also good for the gander :D.
    i mentioned by laws in an earlier post and while it was rightly pointed out about using mobiles not being but i did mention the most passengers tend to break the by laws heres a few from the link.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/Passenger-Behaviour/
    "No passenger who, in the opinion of an authorised person, is in a state of intoxication or otherwise in an unfit or improper condition shall board or remain on the vehicle."
    god knows the amount of drunks we have to put up with during the weekend nights esp. yet we dont enforce this unless the person is a danger to themselves.

" No person shall throw or deposit any litter, lighted match, cigarette, cigar, cheroot, chewing gum or other substance on the vehicle except into a receptacle expressly provided for that purpose."
    wowwwwwwwwww. what do we have here is it the word "litter"????
    someone on another thread asked is the driver supposed to clean the bus.
    well if the by law wasn't broken then there is no need to clean the bus. but hey thats why we have cleaners working round the clock.

now to my favourite. taaa daaaa.

"No person shall consume alcoholic drinks or other beverages or food while on the vehicle. "
    please note the words
    alcoholic drinks
    ENOUGH SAID :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    food
    you know that snack your dying for and open the wrapper and start munching on the bus. well it's a no no
    ohhhhhh ,hmmmmm ahhhhhh the sweet smell of mcdonalds.
    guess what. NO NO.
    and
    other beverages.
    yes folks other beverages, you know that travel mug you use in the mornings well it's a no no, you know that nice cold bottle of water your drinking on the bus in the searing heat , or that nice cold crisp bottle of sprite. well they're all a no no.
    bet yas didn't know those ones.
    but heyyy do we enforce them.the only one thats mainly enforced is the alcoholic drinks, everything else we tend to turn a blind eye to.
    buttt if you people want the rules enforced i've absolutely no problem in enforcing the drinks and food by law. these are the by laws i was on about where passengers tend to break .
    swings and roundabouts folks, swings and roundabouts.

If the rules are being broken, I'd imagine it is the duty of the company representative on the spot to address it but in saying that, I know where the conversation is going to go and rightly so. Basicly, discipline within the public service as a whole is a joke, from the top down and that applies both to observing it and to administering it .

next time, take out your phone and videotape the drivers and post to youtube. dublin bus would have to take action then
    i remember i had to take the bus and one of the divers on the 27 route, he used to whistle the entire journey to his tunes on his ipod, and i really hate whistling, it just gives me a headache

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

other beverages.
    yes folks other beverages, you know that travel mug you use in the mornings well it's a no no, you know that nice cold bottle of water your drinking on the bus in the searing heat , or that nice cold crisp bottle of sprite. well

I'd love to see them try and tell people they can't drink water on a bus, won't get far with that.
    BTW, are drivers allowed? Being dehydrated is probably worse than listening to headphones :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

A bus driver using earphones to listen to music should be sacked.

It displays a selfish arrogance and a disregard for passengers and everyone else.

A deaf driver presents a number of issues which should also be looked at.

Each deaf drivers ability should be medically. judged with personal factors such as age and experience and training taken into consideration.

A bus driver using earphones to listen to music should be sacked.

A bit harsh for a first offense but if written warning were ignored I'd have to agree with you.
    A deaf driver presents a number of issues which should also be looked at.

Each deaf drivers ability should be medically. judged with personal factors such as age and experience and training taken into consideration.

This was my whole point. Surely it has been looked at by the RSA and as it's not illegal for the deaf to drive we can assume that it's not "that" dangerous. Also if it is that risky who would insure deaf drivers ?

A bit harsh for a first offense but if written warning were ignored I'd have to agree with you.

This was my whole point. Surely it has been looked at by the RSA and as it's not illegal for the deaf to drive we can assume that it's not "that" dangerous. Also if it is that risky who would insure deaf drivers ?
    You are not comparing apples with apples.
    On the one hand you're dealing with an absence of sound which, it has been proven, is compensated for by the sufferer with increased awareness. On the other hand you have a profusion of concentrated sound, of varying pitches and volumes, which can have a disorientating and distracting effect. It is imperative when driving a bus, that you give your full attention to the task in hand. it's not just your life.
    You only have to watch pedestrians with earphones to see how detached they appear to be from their surroundings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Deafness would be a reason for a bus driver to fail the medical......

I can only presume (and hope) that deaf people make some effort to compensate visually for their aural handicap whilst driving.

But the issue is too delicate for the RSA to touch, much the same way as the whole area of obviously inept elderly drivers being allowed to continue on until the son or daughter "looses" the car keys on them.

Which brings Gaybo to mind, he's getting a bit hardy and he's not likely to give up the driving I'd imagine..

But a bus driver with headphones in for music is just giving the two fingers to his passengers and everyone else IMO!

He obviously doesnt really want to be driving, thinks he's invincible and in general is a bit of a clown.

He dont give a sh** and is a bad advertisement for any company who employs him.

I see a fair few artic drivers looking at DVDs on laptops stuck on the dash too- they're as bad.

Advertisement