Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sure you can buy them online for 35 or less. Paying high street prices is a mugs game.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Is there any way to write ADF to floppy disk? I have a copy of Workbench waiting for me in the UK but I won't be back over there for at least a month, so I can basically do nothing with my A500 until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,390 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is there any way to write ADF to floppy disk? I have a copy of Workbench waiting for me in the UK but I won't be back over there for at least a month, so I can basically do nothing with my A500 until then.

As far as I know, no :( They're incompatible formats. I came up against this problem a while ago when I needed to make a disk to transfer files from a flash card in the PCMCIA slot. I had the Amiga, the PCMCIA adapter with a flash card in it, Amiga disks, a floppy drive..but no way of getting those damn necessary files onto the disks!

Best thing to do is cast aside those floppies altogether and get yourself an internal IDE compact flash drive. They're the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Let me check I may have a copy you can borrow until you get your Workbench disks......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

0qoz7.jpg

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    get yourself an internal IDE compact flash drive. They're the business.
    I'll have a look into those then; eBay the best place to get one I assume?
    Is it possible to put a hard disk into an Amiga?

The Amiga was before my time; hence the newbish questions :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Amiga was before my time; hence the newbish questions :pac::pac:

Don't worry about that, sure Atavan says the same about the PS2

Master of the Universe

You can put a compact flash drive in the A1200, the A600...not sure about the A500 now that you mention it. I only know the other two as I have a compact flash in my A1200 and Steve_SI put one in his A600 recently.

I needed a RAM upgrade in my A1200 to get games playing from the flash drive. I'm actually not sure what Steve_SI did with his A600 to get games going?

But yeah, it's definitely worth looking into. As it's a solid state drive, there are no load times. It's a sight to behold! Especially if you've sat through normal Amiga loading times.

Especially if you've sat through normal Amiga loading times.
    I'm yet to go beyond sitting through a screen showing a hand holding a floppy :P
    I'll do a bit of Googling and see what's there!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I now have Chu Chu Rocket on my phone.
    Thats all my productivity fcuked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

I sat down last night and played my Atari 1040ste......I was checking the disk drive, ( Thanks Luas_dublin For the Disks ) had a laugh playing the old ST games........
    Here is a question does anyone have a copy of Geoff Crammond's grand prix 1 for the ST ??????....Drove the wife mad when I had that years ago......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

You can put a compact flash drive in the A1200, the A600...not sure about the A500 now that you mention it. I only know the other two as I have a compact flash in my A1200 and Steve_SI put one in his A600 recently.

I needed a RAM upgrade in my A1200 to get games playing from the flash drive. I'm actually not sure what Steve_SI did with his A600 to get games going?

But yeah, it's definitely worth looking into. As it's a solid state drive, there are no load times. It's a sight to behold! Especially if you've sat through normal Amiga loading times.

Not sure about putting a hard drive in an Amiga 500.
    I know it can be done but just never did it myself.
    My guess is you'd need some sort of expansion board with an IDE controller.

I've a CF Card hard disk in an A1200 and A600.
    But I had to upgrade the ram on the A600 and also get a new kickstart chip installed to be able to use the disk (and the PCMCIA slot).

This is what I got for the A600 recently, buts its the same thing as the the A1200 and you could swap them over if you wanted.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/200658034696?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Damn. I'v been sucked into the expensive world of Amigas and pointless modifications!:pac:

Master of the Universe

Steve SI - did you upgrade the RAM in your A1200 too? Or was it already at the right amount? Damn ROMs won't run off the drive without at least double the stock amount.
    Damn. I'v been sucked into the expensive world of Amigas and pointless modifications!:pac:

Yep, you'd want to be careful! Amiga hardware can be suprisingly expensive. I got an A1200 which was ready to go with all the modifications needed and decided to take a giant step back from that whole scene!

Steve SI - did you upgrade the RAM in your A1200 too? Or was it already at the right amount? Damn ROMs won't run off the drive without at least double the stock amount.

Yep, you'd want to be careful! Amiga hardware can be suprisingly expensive. I got an A1200 which was ready to go with all the modifications needed and decided to take a giant step back from that whole scene!

I put a ACA 1230/56 Accelerator in the A1200 at the same time as the upgrade so that has 64mb of fast mem as well as other upgrades.

This is the bad boy here:

aca1230-56.png

If you dont have enough ram inside the a1200 or a600 there are a few tricks to getting things to run anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sounds like the Amiga scene is one of the nerdiest in christendom!
    I can see you all now, comparing full screen framerates in Gloom, Deary Deary me...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sounds like the Amiga scene is one of the nerdiest in christendom!
    I can see you all now, comparing full screen framerates in Gloom, Deary Deary me...

Nah, Extreme Violence is where its at :D

love that game :o

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    I put a ACA 1230/56 Accelerator in the A1200 at the same time as the upgrade so that has 64mb of fast mem as well as other upgrades.

This is the bad boy here:

If you dont have enough ram inside the a1200 or a600 there are a few tricks to getting things to run anyway.

Holy crap that looks like a fancy piece of kit! Puts my 8MB fast RAM to shame :D

I almost bought a fancy accelerator for it a couple of times, but in the end I decided that for the price I'd be paying I wouldn't be using it to its potential.

On an unrelated note, the kiddies in my girlfriends class had their final Hama bead after school club thing today. So they went all out ! (I want the god damn Megaman!)

Edit - look at the amount of different blues in Bulbasaur's head!!! WTF???? That kid is 9!..although he's Asian, so that probably explains it.

373829_10150575481679838_503414837_11562489_1112665397_n.jpg

380425_10150575484459838_503414837_11562500_157929776_n.jpg

377495_10150575501809838_503414837_11562575_2094737577_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Edit - look at the amount of different blues in Bulbasaur's head!!! WTF???? That kid is 9!..although he's Asian, so that probably explains it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This thread wins the Internet. A photoshop epic journey about a Japanese dating sim set in a school entirely populated by birds (of the flying kind).

Edit: It actually isn't a joke, which makes it even more amazing.

hatoful06.jpg

hatoful34.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

WTF Japan?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm playing it right now (English patch: www.mediafire.com/?xshvdoa02oxg85x).

It's actually the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life. I exaggerate not.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

O_0

I got
    killed by hawk ninjas
    for some reason :(

suc9.png

No fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I'm playing it right now (English patch: www.mediafire.com/?xshvdoa02oxg85x).

It's actually the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life. I exaggerate not.
    saw it on Rune's old tumblr Weeaboo Stories maybe 2 months ago or one own site not sure, she'd another one up that was so funny but it's nsfw.
    Thanks for the link, I'll definitely have to give it go :cool:

I need to play this!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Japan, it only ever gets weirder!
    Next, Cho Aniki featuring women!
    Don't laugh nor scoff, it could happen dammit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Japan, it only ever gets weirder!
    Next, Cho Aniki featuring women!
    Don't laugh nor scoff, it could happen dammit!

Its in pre-production already...Ho Aniki its called apparently

Easy now, nearly burst out laughing in Swords post office, the locals would have taken as a sign of weakness and picked my bones clean!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

December 1st eh?
    Looks like it's time for another winter:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement