Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tutorial 001: The Prestige

• 15-08-2008 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

Right, if your a hobbyist, time to learn some Magic!

In the Pdf document below is full description of effect, and method. If this is the first time you've seen one of these, familiarise yourself with it, as this is how many tricks are taught. The trick also assumes you have some basic knowledge of card moves/sleights, such as forces and controls. If you dont, they're not hard to come across online, or maybe if you ask nicely, one of us on here will explain some simple ones to you.

The effect is this;

The magician Gets the spectator to choose a card from the deck. The card is replaced and the deck shuffled. The Magician takes a bundle of business cards bound by an elastic band, and gets the spectator to sign the blank back of one. he removes this card from the bundle and places it in the spectators wallet. he then takes another business card and draws a stickman on the back. he announces that, like in the film the prestige, the stickman will teleport from one place to another, namely from the card, to the card in the spectators wallet. he will also go by via the deck of cards and find the spectators card. He introduces some "amazing pyrotechnics" (a lighter!!!) for comic effect, then places the card face down in the spectators hands. they count down from 5 to 0. on 0 the card is turned over and the stickman is gone!!! the spectator goes to his wallet and find the card he signed. on it is the stickman, smiling, holding the playing card the spectator chose!!!!

Now that is the proposed way of doing the trick. However, its up to you if you want to change it a bit, and make it your own. I've already come up with a variation on it that i quite like, and made a video.

What i suggest is, over the next two weeks, people practise this trick, and upload a video of them doing it. Its not very hard, but it will introduce you to moves, patter, and how to learn/adapt a trick to your act.

What you will need;
    *A deck of cards.(try use relatively new cards)
    *A Bundle of Business cards with a blank side, or something similar (about 20 will do)
    *An Elastic band( get a few incase you break them. Use a Thick band, that is quite short)
    *A "Frixion" Pen. (This is sold in tesco or tesco four seasons, and costs €4.59. It is a pen that contains a special ink that fades from friction generated heat. however, other heat can also be used...Frixion is the model name, it is made by Pilot. You can probably get it in any good stationary store.)
    *A Lighter (see where this is going yet?!!
    *A Red Marker (sharpies are best)

You can also use other items if you wish, but those are the essentials.

right, the manuscript!

http://www.worldmagicshop.co.uk/various/tricks/The_Prestige.pdf

We can turn this into a competition. If I get more than 4 videos on here in the next two weeks, we'll judge them in the Circle, and I'll personally award the winner €10 into their paypal account, or in the post or whatever. :p

So, get practising, and if you have questions, ask them here! the guys who know the stuff are here to help. And guys who are experienced, this is open to you too, I'd love to see different peoples variations on this! Lets get this trick down!

I'm off on holidays this week, so the others will need to roll out the advice. hopefully this goes well. If someone would post the link to my video in a few days, that'd be great. I'd like for the beginners to get started by themselves to get used to reading manuscripts before seeing the video. :)

good luck everyone!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

pssshhh, why did i bother?!?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭bigslick

Come on guys, lets see this gain some speed. Is great opportunity to learn a great magic trick, and to earn some magic money :P

hundred and something views, and not even a thumbs up! :rolleyes:

heres mine to get the ball rolling

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=dvlnHSA_Nwc

bumps this up to the main page. then gives up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ah lads we can pimp this no problem. Give me 48 hours.

• Advertisement

the mans got a plan!

also, thread of the day......

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭bigslick

PIMP AWAY!!!

well the 48 hours were eventful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Been wanting to do this but new job is eating up my time:(
    Barely have time for practice.

But I love the little escape artist twist you gave it.

King Mob wrote: »
    Been wanting to do this but new job is eating up my time:(
    Barely have time for practice.

But I love the little escape artist twist you gave it.
    thanks, I love it too, the whole trick is more fun and makes sense with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Hopefully get my own varient of it up in a few days. Don't have flash paper or frixion pen so I'm justy going to light the business card on fire! I'm also putting a houdini spin on it.

if u want frixion pen, ul find it in tesco. i picked up a spare in france with three refills, for €5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mary Hills

Thank you for this very nice tutorial and for the performance video. Good thinking! :)

- Mary

Mary Hills wrote: »
    Thank you for this very nice tutorial and for the performance video. Good thinking! :)

- Mary
    No problem Mary, welcome to Boards! how did you find us?

Okay so here it is:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/142399905/Movie.wmv.html

Unfortunatly youtube is being a bitch and so I couldn't stick it up there. The audio is out of sync but it's (just about) watchable. You'll get the impression anyway.

Any questions or comments welcome.

I have updated the link to a much smaller ojne. Sorry! Dodgy camera saves in a stupidly large file format!

And now youtube works!

And I don't know how to embedd it properly so:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGzlc6txyZg

hey ???, thanks for taking the time to upload! like the water chamber idea! its hard to follow in the video though, cud u talk us through what happens?

did this trick in the club last night for a guy who's general manager of a big hotel in the city, he now wants to book me for their christmas parties and other events!! great way to get a card in a possible clients wallet!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

zuroph wrote: »
    did this trick in the club last night for a guy who's general manager of a big hotel in the city, he now wants to book me for their christmas parties and other events!! great way to get a card in a possible clients wallet!

Nice!
    Really should get off my arse and make time to learn this.

trick has now sealed the deal on a sponsorship package :)

• Advertisement

You serious? More detasils? And what did your question mean?

??? wrote: »
    You serious? More detasils? And what did your question mean?
    blagging a sponsorship deal for poker, on the basis that the events i'll be attending are televised and that i have good opportunity to get camera time due to magic. Custom hoodie is being ordered tomorrow, and i've to discuss accom/buy in funding with them then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Just watched this vid for the first time ever(even though its been in your sig for ages). Well done sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

This is nothing like The Prestige:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Have to say, that is one cool trick!, Well done!

Gonna give it ago this week myself!

Edit-The link for the manuscript isnt working :(

i thought it night not be, if you wanna pm i might be able to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Thanks for this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

[
    R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Edit-The link for the manuscript isnt working :(

Nope, not working for me either. Would love to see this trick. Anywhere else to get it?

Fair trade is no robbery ... so, my fav trick:

Jumping Match: Great close up trick that needs no preperation and can be done over and over again with the same person.

Take a regular match and hold the end between thumb and forefinger. Place the ring finger of the same hand under the match, pressing the ringfinger nail onto the match.
    Get another match and with 1 finger of other hand, lay this match as a bridge between finger of other hand and the 'firm' match that is held between 3 fingers on other hand.
    Now, tell the mark that if they imagine the match moving, really conventrate, it will move. Of course there will be a few false starts, and you can even string the audence along by saying that mark #1 is not intelligent enough and move on to mark #2, etc
    Whenever you want, you can make the match jump and wiggle and dance. All the time, claiming that it is telekenisis on the part of the mark.
    How its done: You press the nail of your ring finger HARD onto the match (holding it equally firmly between thumb and forefinger). Then slide the nail along the match. It only has to move a fraction of a millimetre for the 'loose' match to jump (the vibrations of the moving nail are magnafied).
    This can be done any number of times and with 5mins pratice you can make the 'loose' match jump of the 'firm' match. Ideal for re-seting your ringfinger/nail placement.
    If you are confident, you can get the mark to hold the loose match... the trick still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

sorry.... didnt see the post about not revelaing the trick (and its too late to edit the post to take it out)

I know, I know, I should have read the thread rules first...

please accept my apologies and I hope I didnt let the cat out of the bag for too many people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

zuroph thanks for making the effort and thanks for the demonstration video. brilliant trick.
    im a complete newbie myself but am finding myself fascinated by illusion and magic. :)

thanks again.

Advertisement