Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Subjects

Options
  • 15-04-2006 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I'm a 3rd Year student at the moment and I'm in the process of making my subject choice for leaving cert and I'd just like some advice as to what subjects to do. At the moment I'm definetly doing German(don't want to but I need a European language) and Geography. But where I'm stuck is between Ag Science(I'm from a farming background so I think I might already know a lot of the stuff), History, Business and Economics. I need to pick 2 subjects from that list of 4. Not thinking about points I would do History and Economics as I'm most interested in those subjects but considering the points I think I should go for Ag Science(because as I said I'm from a farming background and I think I would gain significantly more points in Ag Science than in History but it would be no use to me in later life as I have no intention of working in agriculture or forestry or anything like that and I absolutely hate Science, if I never step foot in a science lab again it will be a day too soon!) and Business(as I'm quite good at it but I find it a bit boring and I don't really enjoy it). I think History would be very beneficial to me in later life but I feel that it would be a hard subject to gain high points in, but I'm good at essay writing so that is an advantage for History. And I think Economics would be more interesting than Business and its good to know how a country's economy works but I just think that Economics would be harder to obtain points in.

I'm definitely not doing any other science subject such as Chemistry, Biology or Physics because as I said I hate Science and everything to do with it, its just not my forte. And the only reason I'm considering Ag Scince is because I'm from a farming background but I have a feeling that its very much 'sciency' and not much to do with agriculture at all.

Would it be bad to do both History and Geography together?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm just very confused about it all. Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I hate science but I ended up doing Physics anyway to keep my options open, you never know what course you will want to do when your filling out the CAO, you might even change it when you have sent the form off.

By doing a science you are keeping alot of options open, by not doing a science alot of courses will be instantly cut off, and you might be very pissed off with yourself later on.

I dont know if Ag Science is considered a Laborator Science, if not, it doesnt count as a science requirement for college/unis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

CoolCiaran wrote:
    Would it be bad to do both History and Geography together?

i do both, and its no problem at all.

i despise geography, its so ridiculously boring which gets to me....

Anyone i know who does economics says they find it pretty hard, but the teachers a bit weird..

i say follow your interests

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

You can find the different syllabi here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Are you going to do transition year? That is a great year to find out what subject you like... Does your school let you see what the different subjects are like? Have a chat with your gudiance councillor! Good luck with your decision!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

If i were you Id pick economics and ag science. economics is way better than business (i do both) and is a very short course. If you're from a farming backround ag science will be pretty common sense. I also do history and geog- id pick geog over history anyday-geography is boring but history is A LOT of stuff unless you are mad into it...which Im not! Best of luck anyways! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Economics is pretty easy. Short course and loads of choice on the very predictable paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Thanks loads very much for the advice. I know there's a lot of stuff in the History course but I'm really interested in it.

In response to another poster, no I'm not doing TY.

And in response to another poster about not doing any science subjects, I was talking to my career guidance teacher before the holidays and I asked her do I need a science subject to get into any of the courses I want to do(pyschology, primary teaching, social work or the gaurds) and she said that I didnt need a science subject for any of those and I highly doubt that I will change my mind so I won't be limiting my options but thanks for the advice anyway.

Advertisement