Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I NEED A CHANGE

• 24-05-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I am in my second last year of college (humanities degree), and up until now, all the jobs I have had have been waitress-orientated. Don't get me wrong, I know I am very lucky to have a job, but I just don't think I can handle another Summer of it.

I would consider myself hard-working, friendly and personable and would love an office-type administration job for the Summer. I have no qualifications or experience in this area- just years and YEARS of hospitality experience. At 24, I guess I am a mature student, and I am not afraid of a challenge.

I am so fed up in my current dead-end soul destroying job that I am starting to feel depressed at the thought of this Summer before it has even begun. Even if it's not an office job, anything that is a CHANGE would be so fantastic.

I have scrolled Jobs.ie etc but I seem so under-qualified, it all seems hopeless!

ANY advice on where to begin is so welcomed. I am willing to do anything to get out of this predicament :-)

Thanking you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Would you consider medical device manufacturing? Repetitive and boring but beats asshole customers & sore feat, no stress. I was years working bars & hotels during college. Got a manufacturing job working evenings during my last year & it was a weight lifted of my shoulders. Obviously it depends what part of the country you're in & if anyone's hiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Something where there's a gap in the market and money to be made? Something like SEO or Analytics is where alot of the shortfalls are in the employment market at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Try looking in contact or call centres. Office based customer service ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 molly_bloom

brianblaze wrote: »
    Something where there's a gap in the market and money to be made? Something like SEO or Analytics is where alot of the shortfalls are in the employment market at the moment!

As I said, I have NO qualifications :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

As I said, I have NO qualifications :/

Dont need any. I offer SEO services myself and I've no formal qualifications in the area to speak of. Doesnt stop me from earning a nice living from it.

Keeping in that vein some variety of self employment could be option.

If you're good at writing then there's plenty of places online where you can get paid for writing articles.

Also, another idea would be to set up a little cleaning business.
    Write up a persuasive sales letter and print it up, distribute it and watch the work come in.

Theres plenty of people out there who are too busy/lazy to do their own cleaning or other so called menial tasks , if you reach out to them in a way that communicates you are the person ( above all others ) to do that work for them , you're onto a winner.

You could port this idea to other mini businesses like dog walking etc..

While jobs might be tough to come by if you put your entrepreneurial hat on ideas will come at you in droves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement