Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omega Service (Step by step guide)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

That's really interesting and very comprehensive.
    I had no idea that a service was so detailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

They forgot the part where they try to hand back your Seamaster without the bracelet or case refinished. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

I got mine serviced recently through an AD - think I paid €250. Watch is running like a charm since. The bracelet/case was not refinished thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭useless

Wow, there's a lot more to it than I thought. Still, I wouldn't expect it to take the 6.5 months (and counting!) that mine is taking to be serviced...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

God I hope mine doesn't take as long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Sent mine away at -8 to -10 seconds per day.
    Came back after 6 weeks at -1 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Origipolo

What did people think a service actually involved..? Not just Omega but any type of service on a watch or pocket watch or even on a clock for that matter.? Mods... if you think these questions deserve a seperate thread please move the post..

Origipolo wrote: »
    What did people think a service actually involved..? Not just Omega but any type of service on a watch or pocket watch or even on a clock for that matter.? Mods... if you think these questions deserve a seperate thread please move the post..

Id have thought that cleaning, lubrication etc could be completed by only removing certain parts- not disassembling the entire movement as hinted at by Omega on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

Origipolo wrote: »

a wee bit a wd40:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

In fairness I did have a good knowledge of what I was getting done alright.

Thought they might have done a bih of an 'oul polish thow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

useless wrote:
    Id have thought that cleaning, lubrication etc could be completed by only removing certain parts- not disassembling the entire movement as hinted at by Omega on their website.
    In my humble that's an actual service U. To clean and lube a watch correctly requires disassembling pretty much the whole movement. Something I found local outlets consider a "restoration" and want to charge accordingly. Eh no, sod that Ted, not at Irish tax prices anyway(one well known name wanted nearly 800 quid to do this. I got a watchmaker from Spain to do a full service for 150 quid. With pics of the movement stripped down to the plates. Not the "ah we'll stick it in an ultrasonic cleaner and oil the obvious bits" service). Without tearing the whole thing down how do you inspect and oil areas like the balance pivots/jewels and the like? I reckon me and Origipolo are on the same page on this one.
    emo72 wrote: »
    a wee bit a wd40:D
    Not such a laugh E considering some "services". This goes triple for vintage stuff picked up from ebay. The faint smell of WD40 when one opens the case is familiar enough. :) It will "work" for a while, but not for long.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Well it looks like it should be back from Omega by the 6th April. Seems to be a backlog with them.

6th April? Less than 8 weeks? I'll be going the AD route next time:D

Debated whether to drag this thread up or to create a new one- I've just gotten my watch back from Omega in Bienne after a service as descibed above. Thought some folks here might be interested.

To cut a long story short, last year, the chrono stopped working intermittently so I sent it to another watchmaker, who had it for 8 months before eventually returning it 'fixed'. When the watch was returned, the braclet wasn't connected properly (no big deal) and after two days, the crystal and one of the gaskets popped out (a big deal, since I was wearing it at the time & didnt notice the missing crystal for several minutes. Luckily I was able to find it).

I then sent it directly to Omega- they sent me an estimate with a list of the stuff that needed fixing, and that a 'complete maintenance service' was required. (Interestingly, they noted that the chrono was still broken...)

Their website allows you to track the progress of the repair, which is nice, and any emails I sent to them were answered in perfect English in 24 hours.
    Roll on 5 weeks, and they sent me back the watch, and it looks brand new. In fact, a lot of it IS new- they returned the parts which they removed. This included the crystal, gaskets, pushers, hands and several other large & small components which I'm not going to pretend to know the correct names for.
    The finish on case & bracelet is fantastic- it really looks no different from a brand new out of the box model.

All in all, I'm delighted with the outcome. The only downside- the cost. At 650CHF/550EUR, any rational person would have to say that it's very expensive. However, this watch has immense sentimental value for me, so to get it working again, particularly to have it returned in such great condition, and after such a disappointing experience with the first watchmaker, means I think it was money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sunster

IWC have a great video too going over what happens during one of their services

http://www.iwc.com/en/service/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Is it that expensive for an omega service?
    I was quoted $250 for a service inc refurb. I'll have to check again if that's by Omega themselves, I just presumed it was.

Neilw wrote: »
    I was quoted $250 for a service inc refurb. I'll have to check again if that's by Omega themselves, I just presumed it was.

Full price list for servicing from Omega is here:
    http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/watch-intervention/service-prices

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Neilw wrote: »

I would imagine it isn't, probably a local watchmaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

NickWray wrote: »
    I would imagine it isn't, probably a local watchmaker.

Yeah I'll have to double check that. I did ask them was it sent to omega but maybe they misunderstood the question.

Advertisement