Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The Poetry Show is on RTÉ radio 1 again now

I'm pretty disappointed with this show btw. Anyone else listen to it ever? Any thoughts?

It's great that there's poetry on the radio and stuff, but I just find it boring and I've never heard of most of the guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭expatinator

What do you think about 'Gender Swapping' characters?

I feel like there are too many men in my 'villain troupe' in the story that I'm publishing on this forum. I kind of want to change one of the characters to a woman.

On the positive side, it adds a new dynamic to the groups relationship. Also, stories feel weird to me without female characters. Not for political reasons. It's just the type of books that I have read.

On the negative side, it's not how I imagined the character. It changes the dynamic and imagery a little.

So, in general, what do ye think about gender swapping characters in stories?

Also, has anybody guess who I used to be on this forum?:P I had to create a new account because my last broke.

Anybody want to give the first chapter of my book a read ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Anybody want to give the first chapter of my book a read ?

Yeah, sure!

Yayyy :P I don't expect it to get a good 'review', but I do need to harden myself to criticism.

Will I send it in a private mail?

• Advertisement

Yayyy :P I don't expect it to get a good 'review', but I do need to harden myself to criticism.

Yea, cool! I will read it this evening!

Yea, cool! I will read it this evening!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Is anyone going to Cuirt or Listowel or the Dublin Lit Festival?

Hmmm, anybody have tips to reach a word-count?

I have to reach 12,000 words in a week. On top of full time work :P

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭donalh087

Come on, hurry up, it's 1700 words a day and you have already wasted 25 here. Lets do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

So over the last 10-11 years, I've written a handful of poems on a VERY irregular basis. Years could pass without writing anything, and they'd usually be the result of a very upsetting time in life.

I've always kept them hidden as I thought they *must* be rubbish; I don't have any formal knowledge of how to write poetry and they just felt like inane ramblings, so I didn't show anybody.

Anyways, showed them to my girlfriend (who's incredibly intelligent & a literary student) and she seemed seriously impressed with them... so I bit the bullet today and submitted them to the Irish Times. Not sure what I want to happen, but I guess its an experience in itself :)

So over the last 10-11 years, I've written a handful of poems on a VERY irregular basis. Years could pass without writing anything, and they'd usually be the result of a very upsetting time in life.

I've always kept them hidden as I thought they *must* be rubbish; I don't have any formal knowledge of how to write poetry and they just felt like inane ramblings, so I didn't show anybody.

Anyways, showed them to my girlfriend (who's incredibly intelligent & a literary student) and she seemed seriously impressed with them... so I bit the bullet today and submitted them to the Irish Times. Not sure what I want to happen, but I guess its an experience in itself :)

Class!

Check out the sticky at the top of the forum for other places you could consider submitting to.

@expatinator what on earth do you need such a word count for in April?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Class!

Check out the sticky at the top of the forum for other places you could consider submitting to.

Cheers!

Am I right in thinking one can only submit to one publication at a time with the same poems?

Cheers!

Am I right in thinking one can only submit to one publication at a time with the same poems?

It depends, some allow simultaneous submissions, but whoever says yes first gets them and even if the New Yorker comes back to you after that you have to say no. :D

@expatinator what on earth do you need such a word count for in April?!

Ghostwriting :)

Eh, I've wrote 1600 so far. Strangely, I think I can do it. The money incentive is really a strong incentive.

If anyone is going to be in Listowel next month, I'd love if you could come along to the winners' readings on Thursday morning and lovingly jeer me.

Still waiting for someone to pop out from behind a potted plant and yell, "Ha ha, JOKE!" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I started writing a novel on Sunday night. A sci-fi book. I've never written a book before, in fact I haven't even written a short story. The first 2,500 words were easy. They just flowed onto the page. Yesterday I wrote 500, but I spent yesterday concentrating on poetry mostly. Sitting down to write today was difficult. Whereas I was full of potential and eager Sunday night, with 2,500 words appearing in just under three hours that felt like a single hour, I'm now daunted by writing the next 70,000 or so words. That's a whole lot of words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

If anyone is going to be in Listowel next month, I'd love if you could come along to the winners' readings on Thursday morning and lovingly jeer me.

Well done. Sorry I can't be there. What did you win? Is it being published?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Still waiting for someone to pop out from behind a potted plant and yell, "Ha ha, JOKE!" :o

Well done DK obviously I won't be there as I am not in the area. but well done my friend.

echo beach wrote: »
    Well done. Sorry I can't be there. What did you win? Is it being published?

I won the Listowel Originals Short Story prize.

I got totally over excited when they rang to tell me and ended up making a hames of a job interview I had that afternoon. :pac:

It'll be in their anthology, but I'll probably stick it on my dusty blog a while after that.

• Advertisement

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I started writing a novel on Sunday night. A sci-fi book. I've never written a book before, in fact I haven't even written a short story. The first 2,500 words were easy. They just flowed onto the page. Yesterday I wrote 500, but I spent yesterday concentrating on poetry mostly. Sitting down to write today was difficult. Whereas I was full of potential and eager Sunday night, with 2,500 words appearing in just under three hours that felt like a single hour, I'm now daunted by writing the next 70,000 or so words. That's a whole lot of words.

Go go go!

Don't look back. Don't edit. Get to the end.

One step at a time :) Think of the story as parts and focus on each piece you have to create.

Also, write every day. I'm lazy and, after a few days, I get sick of thinking about writing. Also, I tend to worry that everything I will write is rubbish.

I get sick of thinking about writing.

That never happens to me. In fact it's too much the other way. My head is always full of imaginary people.
    Also, I tend to worry that everything I will write is rubbish.

This, however, does happen to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭donalh087

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I'm now daunted by writing the next 70,000 or so words. That's a whole lot of words.

At your pace 70,000 words is only 28 days. You could be finished a first draft by the end of May, doing it every Sunday you could be finished by the end of October :-)

Would anyone be interested in a VOAT?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

I might be persuaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Twist my arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭The Pooka

Yep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

What's a VOAT?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper