Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Ants

• 24-07-2010 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

Swallows are up late and the Leislers Bats are out early probably caching on on the ants which are everywhere with me today.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Gosh, loads of then at our allotment yesterday. It looked like the wasps were eating them. Did my eyes deceive me?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The party's really getting going here as the TM air floods in - Should be even more fun tomorrow with temps approaching the mid 20's:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes lots about, they seem to be attracted to white coloured objects...my mothers sheets on the line were full of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Durnish wrote: »
    Gosh, loads of then at our allotment yesterday. It looked like the wasps were eating them. Did my eyes deceive me?
    Wasps like their protein.
    They go after moths as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Mothman wrote: »
    Wasps like their protein.
    They go after moths as well.

I saw a wasp attack a spider on the window and then carry him off a few weeks ago. Amazing to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

I just arrived home to find that I have an explosion of flying ants... in my living room!!!!! Hoover out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

roof of my car was covered with them this evening, they are mostly males out mating with nowhere near as many females, when they found the females literally dozens of them were piling on, it reminded me so much of coppers it brought a tear to my eye.

apparently wont last long, just a few days, they mostly live underground and a few days each year fly wings and get out and about to mate.

Advertisement