Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone here use these?

• 15-07-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

Given the variety of creatures I've seen emerging from the ditch at the side of my garden, I've been contemplating something like this: -
    http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?ProductID=314237&ClassID=249

Anybody use anything similar?

Bit pricey but I'd love to see whats using the ditch as a highway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Had a really cheap set up in my garden a few years back where I placed a camera in a tree facing two bird feeders. Damn thing stole a frightening amount of time as I was glued to watching it.:D

Used to get to watch the likes of the goldcrest and treecreepers in a manner I never could from the house or garden, plus when the sparrowhawk was hiding in the tree, or just pruning herself I got to see every move.

Plus I got to watch all the regulars in the garden whenever they went to the tree.

Would reccomend doing the same for anyone, just be aware that it becomes very addictive, and it you live in an area where you would have nocturnal visitors then I imagine it would become even more engrossing when you got to see the footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Was it a video camera you had set up Kess?

I wouldn't mind a still shot setup like the one in the link (but at a far cheaper price!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Dare I suggest you look for advice over on the Shooting/hunting forum? Quite a few of the posters over there have experience with trail cameras. I briefly researched them and from what I could see the big decider in price was the infra red capability (night vision).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Itsdacraic wrote: »

I wouldn't mind a still shot setup like the one in the link (but at a far cheaper price!!)

Yes Kess. Sounds like you had a video feed from the tree. That would be a cheaper option for me if I installed a cheap wired infra red outdoor camera and hooked it up to some freeware recording software with motion detection.
    Then I could also watch it live like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Itsdacraic wrote: »

Yeah it was a cheapo set up that I got online years ago. Would love to put in something like it, with better quality, at some point. May consider having a look around at what is available before next year's breeding seasons start finances allowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

i use a trail camera regularly as i take a lot of wildlife photographs and its good to know where a badger or fox walks or passes if i plan to go out and photograph it. The one i have uses LED's rather than flash and it was quite cheap as i only want to know where the animals are. i can take video or still shots but i only really use the video

for an idea have a look at

http://www.wilkiphotography.com/badger/HXC_0001.AVI

or

http://www.wilkiphotography.com/fox/HXC_0005.AVI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Is it a branded item or did you make it yourself?

I'#ll have to watch the video at another time - blocked in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

its branded alright its a G&L M100 can find them here:

http://www.stealth-trail-camera.com/stealth/

its cheap and cheerful and from the UK there are plenty better. i figure im never gonna get comparable shots on a trail cam to a DSLR so i use it for scouting. For better ones as someone said check out www.cabelas.com i have heard bushnell,cuddeback and Moultrie are all good makes most of the manufacturers have youtube videos and there are tons of comparison sites too.

Advertisement