Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cube Agree GTC or Lapierre Sensium 100

• 26-04-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from my old alu bike to a nice shiny carbon. I don't have a hell of a lot of money and have kinda narrowed it down to either the Cube Agree GTC or Lapierre Sensium 100, both 2013 models from Chain Reaction (as newbie I can't post the links).

Both are pretty much the same in components with the frames being the only real difference. Does anyone have any experience with either bike/manufacturer and recommendations. I was tempted by the Cube but as Lapierre use the same frame throughout the entire sensium range and I don't think Cube do the same I'm getting more tempted by it. (Even the colour scheme is growing on me).

Any advice will be gratefully received, Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

I have a Sensium 100. Its a very comfortable bike on rough roads - it soaks up the buzz from rougher surfaces well. I don't race so I can't comment on its performance in that respect but I find myself looking forward to riding it.

It comes as standard with Shimano 501 wheels but is improved by a wheel upgrade (I guess that most bikes at that price point are). The 501s are robust but there are better wheels for transferring effort when climbing. The standard saddle is only ok too but again its a personal thing and easily changed.

You wouldn't consider going the extra for the 105 equipped 200? Its the one regret that I have about buying the 100. Nothing much wrong with Tiagra but 105 seems smoother to me and the cable setup on the bars is tidier too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

pab01 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from my old alu bike to a nice shiny carbon. I don't have a hell of a lot of money and have kinda narrowed it down to either the Cube Agree GTC or Lapierre Sensium 100, both 2013 models from Chain Reaction (as newbie I can't post the links).

Both are pretty much the same in components with the frames being the only real difference. Does anyone have any experience with either bike/manufacturer and recommendations. I was tempted by the Cube but as Lapierre use the same frame throughout the entire sensium range and I don't think Cube do the same I'm getting more tempted by it. (Even the colour scheme is growing on me).

Any advice will be gratefully received, Thanks

Watch the sizing. I'm 55 with a Lapierre but probably 58 or whatever next size up from 56 in a cube is.

Take a bit of care with your measurements and sizing charts; best you can do when sizing online.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pab01

I have a Sensium 100. Its a very comfortable bike on rough roads - it soaks up the buzz from rougher surfaces well. I don't race so I can't comment on its performance in that respect but I find myself looking forward to riding it.

It comes as standard with Shimano 501 wheels but is improved by a wheel upgrade (I guess that most bikes at that price point are). The 501s are robust but there are better wheels for transferring effort when climbing. The standard saddle is only ok too but again its a personal thing and easily changed.

You wouldn't consider going the extra for the 105 equipped 200? Its the one regret that I have about buying the 100. Nothing much wrong with Tiagra but 105 seems smoother to me and the cable setup on the bars is tidier too.

I'm on a budget and looking for best value I can get.I 'm in Belfast and close to chain reaction and prefer to buy bike from someplace close rather than order online. Reckon if there is a problem easier to get sorted. I was thinking all things being same I would opt for what is best frame and then when money allows possibly upgrading to 105 or higher and moving tiagra onto old bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pab01

ford2600 wrote: »
    Watch the sizing. I'm 55 with a Lapierre but probably 58 or whatever next size up from 56 in a cube is.

Take a bit of care with your measurements and sizing charts; best you can do when sizing online.

From what I can see online the cube sizing is somewhat hit and miss. According to their website I should be on a 60 from my height but when using leg measurement recommended by cube I'm on a smaller bike, perhaps a 56, which can't be right. I put question on chain reaction page for the cube in hope they have some hands on experience and while there is no response there was £20 taken of price shortly afterwards. Can't help but think they are trying to tempt me, no other bike was reduced yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

I've the Sensium 100 myself, and I'm very happy with it. Nice to cycle, I've taken it on some country roads and no major problems with buzz and vibration. Have done cycles up to 130k, and been comfortable on the bike.
    I'll qualify all my comments by saying that I don't race, just a leisure cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Lapierre's are excellent bikes. I race on a xelius and the carbon frame although stiff on that bike is still comfortable. The sensium should be even more comfortable due to more flex. See if they have any of last years models in stock and you may get a deal on a higher spec model.

Advertisement