Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well that WOULD have been one of the best action films I had ever seen IF they didn't have the word Assemble at the start of it.

This flagrant use of the word completely overrode the genuine humour, good pacing, and snappy script.

Shame on you Marvel, shame.

Disney's call not Marvel's. :)
    I actually think Disney mucked this movie up with the completely unnecessary Post Production 3D and the name change for UK and Ireland. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Went to see it yesterday evening. Absolutely fantastic
    Hulk beating the crap out fo Loki was hilarious
    . I was expecting it to be good but not THAT good :D

Its only April and between this and Cabin in the Woods I have seen 2 great movies this year so far

Was the name change not brought in so there wouldnt be a mix up with the other Avengers movie ?

Was the name change not brought in so there wouldnt be a mix up with the other Avengers movie ?

No, they wanted to avoid confusion with the Espionage series (That movie NEVER happened!!). Silly imo.

Jernal wrote: »
    No, they wanted to avoid confusion with the Espionage series (That movie NEVER happened!!). Silly imo.

and the really bad movie that followed were Uma Thurman looks a little like Black Widow .........

http://seanconneryonline.com/avengers_cover.jpg

• Advertisement

and the really bad movie that followed were Uma Thurman looks a little like Black Widow .........

http://seanconneryonline.com/avengers_cover.jpg

Gee thanks. . .:(
    1238064149_bubble.gif
    (Day ruined now.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Memnoch wrote: »
    Is it just me or have entertainment.ie sold their soul for advertising?
    Does this film really deserve 4.5/5 stars? Used to be that anytime I went to see a film that got 4 stars there I was in for one of the best films of the year. Five stars was something that would be a great and truly memorable movie. Though this trend seems to be reserved for comic book films like Watchmen, which was also overrated. I suspect the reviewer is probably just a die hard comic book fan and this seems to colour his view slightly.

I'll stand by the 3 stars I gave as I felt it was very lightweight on plot. Even Whedon admitted he did massive cutting in the editing room and this would explain why I felt the pacing was all over the place.(SPOILERS BELOW):

http://collider.com/the-avengers-deleted-scenes/159451/

Good mindless action, saved by the characters on screen doing their party tricks. It's not up to much more than that IMO.

This isn't to say that I didn't immensely enjoy it, I did, here are some highlights for me:
    Loki's disturbing rant at Black Widow.
    Thor pleading with his brother to come home.
    Banner and Stark interactions.
    Everything Hulk, including the hilarious sucker punch on Thor and the beat down on Loki.
    2nd half of the final battle.
    Iron Man intro to Cap, ****ing awesome introduction accompanied by Shoot to Thrill.
    Iron Man using Cap's shield to blast people, reminded me of playing the ultimate alliance game.
    Thanos reveal (though basically ruined by the stupid ****ing 3D).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

30 minutes of deleted scenes! I can't wait for the inevitable Avengers Blu-Ray Collection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Question:
    After the Hulk beats up Loki, he says something. What was it? The audience [and me] were laughing so I didn't pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Brilliant movie! Loved it! whedon is god!

3d f*cking sucked though (if only the damn 2d showing didnt sell out!)

one thing I noticed:
    When did Banner suddenly become able to control the "other guy" just cause he fell through a roof?

I wanna see it again - NOW!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Otacon wrote: »
    Question:
    After the Hulk beats up Loki, he says something. What was it? The audience [and me] were laughing so I didn't pick it up.

Same happened with me, love to know what he said though. Can't wait to see it again this weekend. 2D this time though!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Disney's call not Marvel's. :)
    I actually think Disney mucked this movie up with the completely unnecessary Post Production 3D and the name change for UK and Ireland. :(

I was joking, I loved the film and people were moaning over nothing, tbh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

He says "Puny god"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Iron Man using Cap's shield to blast people, reminded me of playing the ultimate alliance game.

That's exactly what came to my mind when I saw that bit. Must dig that out from where ever I hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

They have significantly dumbed him down. A few decent moments in fights, but mostly he's one of the weakest and ill-defined members of this particular crack team.
    Odd, as I think Whedon has mentioned him as his favourite character.

Ya, from that deleted scenes link, sounds like Cap had some deeper scenes, like meeting Peggy, that were cut. Cap def came off as the weakest member. I think thats why he got the whole
    "cap saved me"
    scene at the end

Hulk and Thor for me got the most out of the plot, Iron Man and Cap surprisingly took a backseat to these two. I reckon they witheld big time on CA as they want enough material for the sequel to CA: TFA.

Christ! I just realised I want to go see this again today. :eek:
    Discipline, discipline. . .

I just read, there has been one bad review of the movie. The person reviewing it said it lacked Character development. :rolleyes:

Christ! I just realised I want to go see this again today. :eek:
    Discipline, discipline. . .

Yupp, it definitely has that effect on people. When it finished, I wanted to stay in the cinema and watch it all again. Blu Ray will be a day one purchase as soon as it's out!

• Advertisement

I just read, there has been one bad review of the movie. The person reviewing it said it lacked Character development. :rolleyes:

It is what it is, a good action film, nothing more than that though. Maybe the reviewer was expecting too much, but personally, it's not the game changer so many have made it out to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Because the film does lack character development. This should be a given in any films with such a rich cast of characters, not an optional luxury. Frankly, I think an audience that doesn't demand things like that are doing themselves a disservice.

The whole point is character development was done in Iron man 1 and 2 Thor and Captain America.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Because the film does lack character development. This should be a given in any films with such a rich cast of characters, not an optional luxury. Frankly, I think an audience that doesn't demand things like that are doing themselves a disservice.

They each had at least one whole film dedicated to character development though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its really a stopgap between each individuals sequels though, people are expecting way too much from it, its a load of fun to watch and its cool seeing Marvels finest on screen together, its not perfect, some parts feel drawn out whereas others feel rushed that could have done with being longer, like the scene between Stark and Pepper at the beginning was a bit overlong, whereas Cap didnt get much else to do aside from give orders and look out of place. It would have been cool seeing Stark showing him how technology has developed since the 40s or something. Or talking about his father, which I dont think came up once, Cap is Tonys link to his dad as he knew him briefly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But the film actively ignores or at worse contradicts many of the character motivations established in those films in favour of rather uninspiring action sequences and shallow one-liners. Not that the characters were ever multi-dimensional protagonists in the first place, but there are enough interesting loose-ends established in the previous films that all but absent here, with only the McGuffin of the previous films carrying over.

That to me is the biggest flaw of the film: after several years of teasing, The Avengers feels like a tease for another series of individual sequels. It's like an episode of The Simpsons: everything returns to the status quo at the end, with the characters having learned little. Really Iron Man and the Hulk are the only two characters who enjoy anything of an 'arc' in the film.
    Its really a stopgap between each individuals sequels though, people are expecting way too much from it, its a load of fun to watch and its cool seeing Marvels finest on screen together, its not perfect, some parts feel drawn out whereas others feel rushed that could have done with being longer, like the scene between Stark and Pepper at the beginning was a bit overlong, whereas Cap didnt get much else to do aside from give orders and look out of place. It would have been cool seeing Stark showing him how technology has developed since the 40s or something. Or talking about his father, which I dont think came up once, Cap is Tonys link to his dad as he knew him briefly.

I'd rather expect too much than too little, to be honest :) To me it's just another blockbuster with better wit and banter. Not good enough considering the hype, buildup and talent: especially from the director who gave us the best action sci-fi movie in decades.

The whole point is character development was done in Iron man 1 and 2 Thor and Captain America.
    They each had at least one whole film dedicated to character development though :P

That doesn't justify a film that someone elsewhere described as lacking a soul, which is a good way of describing the problem. Even with the scenes that were meant to pack an emotional punch, such as
    Coulson dying and Stark nearly killing himself to get rid of the nuke,
    something was lacking.

Whedon left a lot of stuff on the editing floor, all seemingly related to character/plot development, that's the problem IMO. A lot of scenes suffer due to this and don't have the big emotional pay off that they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Lads - i dont think its that type of film (character dev, emotional payoff).

Its a popcorn eating blockbuster not designed, IMO, to redefine the superhero genre. If anything, Joss has given us the amalgam movie that at least I have been wanting for ages.

I think you are all just dissapointed its not TDK, except with Marvel; which says more about your expectations than it does about the movie.

Pter wrote: »
    Lads - i dont think its that type of film (character dev, emotional payoff).

Its a popcorn eating blockbuster not designed, IMO, to redefine the superhero genre. If anything, Joss has given us the amalgam movie that at least I have been wanting for ages.

I think you are all just dissapointed its not TDK, except with Marvel; which says more about your expectations than it does about the movie.

I'll give you an example, Terminator 2, arguably the best action flick ever. But it also had great heart and developed characters, with one of the most memorable and iconic endings ever.

But, you are also suggesting that it doesn't try to be anything more than a popcirn eating blockbuster when it clearly does,
    they completely missed the mark on the Coulson death scene for example.

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    which says more about your expectations than it does about the movie.

We could say the exact same thing, which I think puts us at an impasse that will never be adequately resolved :)

Advertisement