Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No Video Controls in HTML 5

• 11-04-2014 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have a question that someone might be able to help with. I'm trying to remove all video controls in a html5 project. Simply omitting the control line doesn't help at all, nor does control="none"

Basically, this is for a presentation where the video is running beneath a banner and a footer, akin to a moving magazine cover. The video is set to autoplay. It's essential that there are absolutely no user controls showing for the video at all, and that includes location slider, video info and fullscreen buttons.

Has to be the video and only the video with no overlays. Everything I've found online has been unhelpful - I assume because not many people would want a video file that can't be controlled or interacted with in any way in a project (maybe?)

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be hugely appreciative because I can't seem to get anywhere by Googling

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

COYVB wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have a question that someone might be able to help with. I'm trying to remove all video controls in a html5 project. Simply omitting the control line doesn't help at all, nor does control="none"

Basically, this is for a presentation where the video is running beneath a banner and a footer, akin to a moving magazine cover. The video is set to autoplay. It's essential that there are absolutely no user controls showing for the video at all, and that includes location slider, video info and fullscreen buttons.

Has to be the video and only the video with no overlays. Everything I've found online has been unhelpful - I assume because not many people would want a video file that can't be controlled or interacted with in any way in a project (maybe?)

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be hugely appreciative because I can't seem to get anywhere by Googling

Cheers!

Omitting should get rid of it so sounds like a bug, what about updating or changing browser?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Works for me (firefox 28):

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml5_video
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <body>

<video width="320" height="240" autoplay>
      <source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">
      <source src="movie.ogg" type="video/ogg">
      Your browser does not support the video tag.
    </video>

</body>
    </html>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Interesting. Working exactly how I want it to in IE, but chrome is still displaying the controls. This is not good news as I've no way of dictating the browsers of the quarter of a million project users. Gah.

Cheers guys!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

PrzemoF wrote: »

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <body>

</video>

</body>
    </html>

This works in Chrome for me - the controls are hidden.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

PrzemoF wrote: »

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <body>

</video>

</body>
    </html>

In Chrome & Firefox 2.8...
    If I follow the link the controls appear to me in the Results on the right.
    BUT, if I copy & save the code to a local file with some local video linked THEN when I open that the controls do NOT appear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I'm thinking of rendering off the video with an additional border area at the bottom, and hiding that area under another layer so that even if the controls do appear in certain browsers, they'll be hidden. Are there any potential issues with that?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

croo wrote: »
    If I follow the link the controls appear to me in the Results on the right.
    Yup. If you follow the link, the default code has "controls" and doesn't have "autoplay" in the video tag. If you replace "controls" with "autoplay" in the example code and hit the "Submit code »" button, it works.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Yup. If you follow the link, the default code has "controls" and doesn't have "autoplay" in the video tag. If you replace "controls" with "autoplay" in the example code and hit the "Submit code »" button, it works.
    Sorry, I didn't notice the difference in the code... and thought I was testing the same. So yeah, works as expected here too under both ff & chrome.

Advertisement