Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How The Hell Are 2014 Gibson Les Pauls €2699?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

the maple top has a lot to do with it but is it overpriced ? oh fcuk yeah!

you are in custom made territory there with that kind of money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

the maple top has a lot to do with it but is it overpriced ? oh fcuk yeah!

you are in custom made territory there with that kind of money!

But there seems to be a €2500 price tag on all 2014 Gibson LP Standards.

I bought this on the bay yesterday, for about €600, an Edwards LP Standard.

121094d1407679487-unofficial-official-pending-ngd-thread-les-paul-edwards-flame.jpg

121095d1407679539-unofficial-official-pending-ngd-thread-les-paul-edwards-flame-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Poor old Henry needs a few dollars for his pension :rolleyes:

kevin65 wrote: »
    Poor old Henry needs a few dollars for his pension :rolleyes:

Must do, i don't remember the Gibson SG retailing at €1449 anywhere before.

Where are these prices coming from? Everyone is going Japanese with this lunatic in charge.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

can't see that picture Darren but it sure sounds nice. Have a burny myself and it stands up to a few gibson LP's i've played.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I guess we haven't had a Gibson complaint thread in a while.

Price inflation over the last five or so years has a lot to do with it. Presumably their costs are increasing and well as the expectations for profit.

To be honest, if you end up paying full price for a Gibson you're probably doing it wrong. Waltons, for example, frequently have good sales and pretty reasonable prices these days.

Edwards make nice guitars but they are made in China and assembled in Japan. It does make a difference.

I've never bought from Japan before but I find value elsewhere. By far the most expensive guitars I have bought have been second hand on Adverts. I have other guitars of comparable quality that were new and cost a lot less on US ebay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

It's also people just paying for the brand name

It could be the nicest Les Paul in the world, it might play better, sound and look better
    But if it ain't got Gibson on the headstock some people just don't wanna know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

There's surely also some degree of psychological pricing involved. Gibson have really filled out the mid-range options available with models like the Traditional-Pro and all the Deluxe Studios, for example. This means that they can push up the price of the classic configuration as compared to the lesser options features like a flamed top must then cost more, in the mind of the consumer.

To be honest though, I'd be more worried about the price of a pint of milk. There are second-hand Gibsons aplenty.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    To be honest though, I'd be more worried about the price of a pint of milk. There are second-hand Gibsons aplenty.

Milk is for babies.

Second hand Standards can go for €1000 on adverts, but it's specifically the 2014 models that are €2500 ish. The 2013 model seem to be under the €2000 mark. Filling out the market with lower priced LP's is a lame excuse to bump the Standards up by €500. Crazy to think they will get that increased retail, but i suppose that some Gibson heads will actually buy them at the inflated prices.

After looking on Thomann for a bit longer, i see that PRS CU24 or 22 are €3000 for a non 'Ten Top', so they have increased their prices a bit too, but not as much as Gibson.

This thread is not a rant on Gibson quality, just the inflated retail prices btw.

Edwards E LP:
    $_57.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hmmm, If I manage to shift my SG, I'm going to be on the hunt for an LP. Not at those prices obviously, but maybe something used, and pretty much so I can fit a Bigsby to it. I'm not keen on SGs with Bigsbys.
    I might look at alternatives to Gibsons. There are a lot of used ones on adverts, but it's hard to know what to go for. Budget will play a part. I'd like to keep it sub €1000, but for the money in the original post, I'd be looking at custom guitars, or different companies for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You'd want to be fooking insane to hand over that kind of money for any guitar.

1000 euro is my limit.

You'd want to be fooking insane to hand over that kind of money for any guitar.

1000 euro is my limit.

Why?

Why?

Because it's a crazy amount of money to spend on a guitar...imagine spending that money on a guitar..bring it to a gig..only for it to get stolen or damaged...its a risk you take as a musician. .

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Because it's a crazy amount of money to spend on a guitar...imagine spending that money on a guitar..bring it to a gig..only for it to get stolen or damaged...its a risk you take as a musician. .

I'd say it really depends on if you have the cash to spend. From my point of view, a guitar is something that I'm going to have for many, many years, decades probably. I'm not going to be bringing a PRS Custom to a gig in Fibbers but I want to enjoy playing a great instrument when at home or recording.

feylya wrote: »
    I'd say it really depends on if you have the cash to spend. From my point of view, a guitar is something that I'm going to have for many, many years, decades probably. I'm not going to be bringing a PRS Custom to a gig in Fibbers but I want to enjoy playing a great instrument when at home or recording.

Perfectly understandable.

Exactly why i bought the Edwards earlier in the thread. It's for giggin' with, i am retiring the '93 Gibson Les Paul Standard from the dings etc.......and i don't want to get it robbed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

feylya wrote: »

And don't forget to tell the other half you were able to get it for just €999 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Have a burny myself and it stands up to a few gibson LP's i've played.

Me too! Here's mine:

IMG_7861.JPG

Also, Edwards are a great alternative too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

supply and demand.

if there wasn't a market for them, they wouldn't be priced there.

there are folks that just want a top of the range Les Paul and are willing to pay for it.

what most brand chasers refuse to recognise is that a basic guitar with a good setup is a LOT better than a big name guitar out of the box.

I play mainly acoustic, but a while back I was in a store in Belfast and they had acoustics ranging from £69 to £1600.

I played a few of em (once I proved to the hairy yoof that I COULD actually play) and the one I went back to (and nearly bought) was £99.

the action was perfect for me and I could have played it all night.

Each to their own. I have a pal who goes to the US every year on holiday and buys a used Les Paul while he's there.

Last count he had 18...........

says it's his pension fund.

and yes, the LP standard he bought for $400 in '98 is worth a LOT more than that now in NI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Once you get past €1000 or even close to a €1000 and let's say you have your guitar expertly set up, is it really possible to tell the difference between an electric guitar that is €1000 and €2500???

Also, are Burnys or Edwards not made in China these days?

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Also, are Burnys or Edwards not made in China these days?

Edwards have always been milled in China and assembled in Japan.

Burny, I believe, still have some Japanese models, though the cheaper ones are made in China.

Edwards have always been milled in China and assembled in Japan.

Burny, I believe, still have some Japanese models, though the cheaper ones are made in China.

^This. The Chinese-made Burnys don't have quite as good a name as the ones that were made in Japan in the 80's-90's, and that's why I got one that was made back then.

Quick tip: A Burny with a truss rod cover with three screws instead of two is a sure sign that you're looking at a Chinese-made one.

biketard wrote: »
    Quick tip: A Burny with a truss rod cover with three screws instead of two is a sure sign that you're looking at a Chinese-made one.

Same with the Tokai Les Paul

Oh, btw, some Burny's were made in S Korea. I think in the early 2000's, though I'm not sure of the dates.

biketard wrote: »
    Oh, btw, some Burny's were made in S Korea. I think in the early 2000's, though I'm not sure of the dates.

Yeah, a lot of Fernandes stuff was being made by Samick at this time so perhaps it's the same for Burny - they are owned by the same company after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DamianK

I want to note something else.
    Very rarely the guitars are setup properly, I mean intonation, rod adjusted, action, pickups. I had to do this work to get the right sound of it and to not have tuning problems.

Advertisement