Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The British Empire and the popularity of Football

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

My mistake it was Sheffield Utd instead of Wednesday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I did Geography and Archaeology in College many years ago but my dissertation was on the spread of Soccer in Ireland. TBH Ive forgotten most of it and I dont have a copy of it any more. I actually think its wrong to think that the British Empire was the factor behind the spread of Football in Ireland.

The oldest senior club interestingly enough on the island of Ireland is Cliftonville founded way back in 1879. Of mixed religions then but now in a nationalist area I think. In NI its just their links with Scotland that introduced the games there. It was teams coming over and playing exhibition games.

Interestingly enough, Eamonn de Valera despite the ban used to go to a lot of soccer games mainly because before internment most nationalist types were under the illusion that soccer playing people werent nationalist. Yet they got a shock after being interned that a high proportion of Republican prisoners were actually quite well known footballers. Remember reading that fairly recently. Dont have a source - sorry.

Advertisement