Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

new powers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

Appreciation Day for Garda Reserve members takes place on the 22 February in my division. How about the other divisions? Do you have such thing? It might be that date when the powers are going to be released...

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

snams wrote: »
    Appreciation Day for Garda Reserve members takes place on the 22 February in my division. How about the other divisions? Do you have such thing? It might be that date when the powers are going to be released...

Have heard nothing in my division

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/index.php/2014/01/seanad-adjournment-debate-garda-reserve-speech-by-minister-john-perry-td-on-behalf-of-minister-for-justice-equality-and-defence-alan-shatter-td/Crime & Justice

Published on Tuesday 28th January 2014
    Seanad Adjournment Debate – Garda Reserve – Speech by Minister John Perry TD, on behalf of Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence Alan Shatter TD
    Senator Martin Conway
    The need for the Minister for Justice Defence and Equality to make a statement on his plans for the future of the Garda Reserve in particular whether its function could be extended to providing crime prevention advice to the elderly living alone.
    Speech by Minister John Perry TD, on behalf of Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence Alan Shatter TD
    On behalf of the Minister for Justice and Equality, who is unavoidably detained elsewhere, I would like to thank the Senator for raising this important matter.
    As the Senator will be aware, the Garda Reserve was established to enhance the links between the Garda Síochána and local communities through the deployment of locally recruited volunteers who operate in support of full-time colleagues. There are currently 1,164 attested Reserve Gardaí with a further 99 at various stages of training. Garda Reserve members make a real and tangible contribution to the policing right across the country and the Minister and Government are fully supportive of its continued development. In this regard, recruitment to the Reserve and training of new Reserve members is ongoing.
    Under section 15 (5) of the Garda Síochána Act, the range of powers and duties of a member of the Garda Reserve is a matter for the Garda Commissioner to determine. The Garda Commissioner initially determined that the duties of a Garda reserve member shall include the following:-
    · Station duty, other than the care and custody of prisoners.
    · Assistant to the station orderly.
    · Communications room duty, to include monitoring CCTV.
    · Foot patrol, accompanied by a member of the full-time Garda service.
    · Static security duty.
    · Road Traffic checkpoint duties, accompanied by a full time member.
    · Duty at the outer cordon of major events such as festivals and major sporting events.
    · Assisting in the event of accidents, fires and major emergencies.
    · Giving evidence in court.
    · Community / Neighbourhood Policing.
    During 2012 the Garda Commissioner carried out an internal review of the Reserve and has since decided to extend their powers and functions of Garda Reserve Members to such areas as domestic violence, child protection, conflict resolution, Garda policy on bullying and harassment, out of vehicle safety training (OVST), first aid and ample probe training. Continuous Professional Development courses are also to be provided annually to Garda Reserves on a Divisional basis. Training in these new areas commenced in 2012, and almost all of the Reserve members have now been trained in the new powers. The following provisions were also introduced:
    · The provision of a Mentor/Tutor Garda for the Garda Reserve.
    · Formal appraisal system.
    · All Garda Reserves to be issued with TETRA radios when going on duty.
    · Powers under the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Acts 1994 to 2011, and Section 41 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 as amended, in relation to the seizure of vehicles.
    · Garda Reserves will issue Fixed Charged Penalty Notices and serve summonses.
    · The Garda Reserves’ role and various functions will be communicated to full-time members through mediums such as promotion courses, the Continuous Professional Development (CPD) programme and the Garda Portal.
    · Exit interviews will be conducted.
    It is not intended to further extend the powers of Garda Reserves at this time. It must be borne in mind that the Reserves are a part-time element of the force and while a great asset to the Gardaí, cannot be expected to perform the same roles as fully trained members.
    As regards the specific role the Senator raises, in this context I would like to point out that community policing is the underpinning philosophy and ethos through which all members of the Garda Síochána, including Garda Reserve members, deliver policing services across the country and a key area of this policy is in crime prevention. The Garda Síochána National Model of Community Policing requires each District Officer to establish a Community Policing Team in their District within the context of available resources. Garda Reserves are involved at the heart of the community through the role they play every time they attend for duty. Notwithstanding this, it is not expected that Garda Reserve members will be assigned specifically to Community Policing roles.
    In conclusion, I can, on behalf of the Minister, assure the Senator that the Government is and will continue to be, fully committed to the Garda Reserve and indeed recruitment is ongoing to further strengthen and reinforce the Reserve.
    Tags: Garda Reserve, Minister Alan Shatter, Seanad Adjournment Debate

This should make the situation clearer for a lot of posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

I haven't heard of that!
    Are they getting the Garda band in! lol...
    Let us know how you get on.
    I wonder who came up with that idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

everyday is appreciation day on my patch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

How did the appreciation night go for ye? Any news on date powers being released??

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Ya and the cat and the fiddle might jump over the moon as well !! :eek:

With regards to these new powers...
    I'd say they will roll out when final recruitment of GR's happens ... I believe it's soon, but !
    With the full time recruitment launched, numbers will fluctuate, which is normal...
    It's more the traffic powers needed if you do a lot of check points or on the beat...Detecting mobile phones, parking offensives stuff like that.. Or the odd Section 41. Public order would come in handy if your based in busy town which tends to public order incidents...
    Nice to have but, pass the collar to the full timer ! Or get stuck in! Courts and paper work love GR's.. Don't be shy!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

I'd say they will roll out when final recruitment of GR's happens ... I believe it's soon, but !
    With the full time recruitment launched, numbers will fluctuate, which is normal...
    It's more the traffic powers needed if you do a lot of check points or on the beat...Detecting mobile phones, parking offensives stuff like that.. Or the odd Section 41. Public order would come in handy if your based in busy town which tends to public order incidents...
    Nice to have but, pass the collar to the full timer ! Or get stuck in! Courts and paper work love GR's.. Don't be shy!

Hate to burst your bubble but passing your collar so to speak to your full time colleague will not go down to well, you arrest you prosecute play the game or face what might happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

What is meant by 'final recruitment of Garda reserves' ?

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    What is meant by 'final recruitment of Garda reserves' ?
    I spoke to the staff in the college and they informed me that HR are starting to slow recruitment as numbers are maxing out. Who knows! Numbers will always go up and down..! Just no big push on anytime soon!

bluetop wrote: »
    Hate to burst your bubble but passing your collar so to speak to your full time colleague will not go down to well, you arrest you prosecute play the game or face what might happen.

As I said!
    Or get stuck in! Courts and paper work love GR's.. Don't be shy!

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    How did the appreciation night go for ye? Any news on date powers being released??
    I don't know, haven't been there.

Never heard of this before. I've heard of a microwave once...

As I said!
    Or get stuck in! Courts and paper work love GR's.. Don't be shy!

It's all part of the job. The paper work is not that tough . Have prepared a number of incidents for my unit buddies in order to get some practise in and gone to court as a witness on two really serious cases . So don't be worried when the new powers come on board it's not brain surgery . The first court appearance will be a little daunting but it's all about experience

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

Raider190 wrote: »
    It's all part of the job. The paper work is not that tough . Have prepared a number of incidents for my unit buddies in order to get some practise in and gone to court as a witness on two really serious cases . So don't be worried when the new powers come on board it's not brain surgery . The first court appearance will be a little daunting but it's all about experience

I take it you in a busy city station? I know reserves who tell me they do very little, a couple of lads have basically told me that they are just shadowing the full time guarda. They definitely don't create incidents or go to court.

Keep positive blue top they are coming paper work courses are been arranged for those who are making the effort to find out about them

I don't think it's right that any Reserve should be expected to go to court for nothing, yes it may be a good experience but its shameful the disrespect that has been shown to reserves through this recruitment process. It's a real shame that so many are in band 2 and cant understand why people are sticking at it. One would do more of a service to their community by going into a nursing home singing to old people, why volunteer for an organisation that don't care less if these people become part of the full time force?

thestar wrote: »

guarda.

:eek:

Scouser wrote: »

Your a pretty sad individual in fairness

• Advertisement

Your a pretty sad individual in fairness

Hows the masters going?

Hows the masters going?

Very bad, do you want to do my thesis?

Very bad, do you want to do my thesis?

nah been there

worth it in the end!

'suffer today and live the rest of your life like a champion'

I take it you in a busy city station? I know reserves who tell me they do very little, a couple of lads have basically told me that they are just shadowing the full time guarda. They definitely don't create incidents or go to court.

You get out of it what you put into it. I'm very lucky working with a great unit set and cig who encourage reserves to get stuck in with the rest of the unit. This has lead to me been accepted as member of the unit , been included in a lot of operations and been sent on a number of internal courses

Well if you join the guards this certainly wont be the case..

Raider190 wrote: »
    You get out of it what you put into it. I'm very lucky working with a great unit set and cig who encourage reserves to get stuck in with the rest of the unit. This has lead to me been accepted as member of the unit , been included in a lot of operations and been sent on a number of internal courses

Fair play to you, hopefully you will be getting paid to do it some time in the future

I don't think it's right that any Reserve should be expected to go to court for nothing, yes it may be a good experience but its shameful the disrespect that has been shown to reserves through this recruitment process. It's a real shame that so many are in band 2 and cant understand why people are sticking at it. One would do more of a service to their community by going into a nursing home singing to old people, why volunteer for an organisation that don't care less if these people become part of the full time force?

It is what it is. Some of us would not have the apptitude for that type of work. I myself love the variety , the robust nature of the job and the excitement element

Well if you join the guards this certainly wont be the case..

What do you mean??????

A bit picky there who of us have not made a typo I know I do it all the time

• Advertisement

nah been there

worth it in the end!

'suffer today and live the rest of your life like a champion'

I was quoting Scouser saying that he wont be living like a champion if he joins AGS. Any Guard I tell that I'm hoping to join and that I'm doing a masters at the moment tell me that I'm crazy, the amount of Gardai that moan about their job is ridiculous

Advertisement