Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archos G9

• 14-02-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I am thinking of getting an Archos G9 8 or 10.
    Has anyone out there, any trouble with this internet tablet?
    I had an Archos 101 but it went wrong twice so am now getting a refund or maybe an upgrade to the G9 model.
    Please could you advise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There's an earlier thread here about them. I have to say I'm very happy with mine, it hasn't given me any trouble at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

marknine wrote: »
    I had an Archos 101 but it went wrong twice so am now getting a refund or maybe an upgrade to the G9 model.
    Please could you advise?

I used to have the 101 but lost it so got the G9 10... It's so much better and there's only €100 or so in the difference...

The main benefits of the G9 over the 101
    1. Android 3.0 honeycomb
    2. Access to Android Market instead of AppsLib Market
    3. More responsive touch screen
    4. Uses standard Micro-USB charger instead of big bulky charger that came with the 101

There are some small downsides though
    1. A standard mobile broadband dongle can no longer be used... Archos have manufactured their own dongle that only work with it for sim cards and costs $50
    2. The usb slot is now only for their mobile broadband dongles and does not work with memory keys

It's a worthy upgrade though and I'd highly recommend it to anyone over the 101 internet tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭pedatron

Please could you advise?

Ordered one myself only last night! Screen went in my 101 so I ordered the 1.2gtz g9 80. Looking forward to it now. Should be a big step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

Zaph wrote: »
    There's an earlier thread here about them. I have to say I'm very happy with mine, it hasn't given me any trouble at all.

Thanks Zaph

pedatron wrote: »
    Ordered one myself only last night! Screen went in my 101 so I ordered the 1.2gtz g9 80. Looking forward to it now. Should be a big step up.

Arrived yesterday and must say I am blown away with the improvement in performance in it. So much faster at booting up apps and in general usage. That screen defect/rippling still appears to be a problem but I only noticed it late last night and it wouldn't bother me much at all. great value for money I think

• Advertisement

Thinking of getting a Blackberry playbook instead as it is €219 and has 16GB. What do you all think?

Thinking of getting a Blackberry playbook instead as it is €219 and has 16GB. What do you all think?

OS wasn't very well recieved when released but technologically its a great piece of kit for the price! I know they are also planning to release an update that runs android apps too so a quick Google would be worth it to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

IMO it's all about have at least 1GHz CPU and DDR3 type RAM in these tables..

I don't think has anything much to do with manufacturer know-how in optimizing OS or hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The OS is great. I've had one now about 2 months. And the OS2.0 update is due next week (21st Feb) which will bring a lot of goodies. Access to lots of android apps. A PIM (Microsoft Outlook equivalent) manager with a unified inbox. It's a slick device and I love the interface. True multi tasking in my mind. Try test one out in a store if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mikg

+1 on the Playbook recommendation - got one last week specifically for OS 2.0 ;P

very happy with it even with current OS 1.0.8 + very capable hardware ..

• Advertisement

Hi Guys, I bought the Blackberry Playbook €219 on Friday, and I have to say “ITS FANTASTIC”
    Everything about it is brilliant. The screen is 100% better than my old Archos 101, as is the sound quality, graphics and I as for the build quality; it’s unbelievable for the price. I’m not saying that the Archos is bad; it’s just not in the same league as the Blackberry Playbook. Now I just have to find out how to load my films and music on to the playbook. It would be brilliant if I can get Netflix on the playbook. Anyone out there know if you can watch Netflix on the Blackberry Playbook?

Well sometime tomorrow OS 2 will be released and available for download. We may be able to sideload the netflix app on to the device. Some of my favourite apps for the Playbook are:
    SplashtopHD
    PewPew
    Qfolio
    Kobo Books (although a Kindle app should be available from tomorrow)
    Tweetbook
    Al Jazeera
    Reuters Insider
    Air Browser
    NFB

You can transfer files via wifi:
    http://www.berryreview.com/2011/04/28/faq-transfer-files-to-the-blackberry-playbook-over-wi-fi-or-usb/

Or via a cable direct to the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mikg

hi marknine,

Congrats on your new toy ;) have to say that I've always found the Blackberry phones solid and well 'screwed together' and the Playbook is no different - they're a bargain at € 219 for the 16Gb model

As cookie1977 mentioned, OS 2.0 will drop tomorrow so here's hoping we might get native Netflix and maybe Skype apps ... :D

Have fun with it!!

Android Skype app sideloaded to playbook will work for text talk but so far no video. And no sign yet from skype as to whether or not they'll offer an app. Although PB users have been pushing for it:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playbook-apps-games-f243/petition-we-want-skype-webex-playbook-674431/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playbook-apps-games-f243/skype-email-campaign-amazing-success-results-694160/

Make sure you turn on showcase in Settings, General, for the best experience of multi tasking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Hi Guys, I bought the Blackberry Playbook €219 on Friday, and I have to say “ITS FANTASTIC”
    Everything about it is brilliant. The screen is 100% better than my old Archos 101, as is the sound quality, graphics and I as for the build quality; it’s unbelievable for the price. I’m not saying that the Archos is bad; it’s just not in the same league as the Blackberry Playbook. Now I just have to find out how to load my films and music on to the playbook. It would be brilliant if I can get Netflix on the playbook. Anyone out there know if you can watch Netflix on the Blackberry Playbook?

Where did you buy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

du Maurier wrote: »
    Where did you buy it?

I bought it in Currys, LiffeyVally. I was going to buy it in PC World, but when I went in there, I felt the staff just ignored me (Had this in PC World LiffeyVally before) So I popped next door and they looked after me straight away.

Advertisement