Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

celt262 wrote: »
    How is any of that relevant to the thread?

He basically said I couldn't elaborate as I had an uneducated view I was pointing out I wasn't bothered as iPhone is basically a pain to type from

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ColHol wrote: »
    Team to play against meath has been announced. Would worry about midfield -

If would if Meath weren't down to about their 5th choice midfielders themselves at this stage. Emmet Bolton should do a fine job curbing Graham Reilly, Rob Kelly and the other big men around the middle will win plenty ball besides that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

actually, it wasnt "the GAA" who came to the conclusions but rather "Dublin consultancy firm Michael Slattery & Associates, a fire safety engineering firm."
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/navan/articles/2011/11/23/4007850-serious-safety-issues-revealed-by-audit-at-pairc-tailteann/

the problem with getting in outside people who know what they are talking about is that they might do their job and point out uncomfortable truths!
    I wasn't talking about the fire safety problem in the stand that was uncovered. Everyone knows that the stand in Pairc Tailteann is an absolute kip. Sure it's pretty much as it was when it was last renovated in the 1960s. There's nothing "uncomfortable" about that (apart from the hard seats).

I was talking about the ridiculous conclusion that the grass banks were unsafe which, as far as I know, was not dealt with by this firm (seeing as they're a fire safety firm as you pointed out). I've been going to Pairc Tailteann since the early 1990s and my ould fella's been going since the 60's and, to my knowledge, not one person has ever been seriously injured on those grass banks. To close them like they have done is ridiculous given that there are a good few other grounds with larger grass banks that are still fully open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I think this plan is one of the reasons that the GAA has cut the maximum attendance of both St. Conleth's and Páirc Tailteann. Amazingly, PT's official capacity is only 10000 now, despite 20000 easily fitting into it in the Meath - Kildare game last year and it's capacity being 30000 at the start of 2011. Apparently the grass banks at both ends are too dangerous and have been closed off this year :rolleyes: Meanwhile, Walsh Park in Waterford has grass banks surrounding three sides of the pitch which were fully open to the public this year in the NHL.

Wouldn't surprise me either. You'd wonder how long these health & safety audits are going on for because surely then the capacities of the likes of Newbridge and Navan should have been cut years ago. The timing seems quite convenient.

A 30,000 stadium somewhere near the M50 to serve Kildare, Meath, Louth and Wicklow will just become another white elephant. They'd be better off assisting in modernising the likes of Newbridge and Navan with 15,000 or so capacities, Aughrim and Drogheda 10,000ish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

If you have a problem with a post, go after the post, not the poster, if a poster is annoying you, then block them so you don't see their updates to be annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Cavan beat Kildare 1-13 to 0-09 to win the Leinster Junior title.

Rumour has it that Seanie Johnston is doing a John Terry and celebrating with them even though he wasn't playing :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

dcr22B wrote: »

Rumour has it that Seanie Johnston is doing a John Terry and celebrating with them even though he wasn't playing :D;)

Great win and another medal for a lot of the lads who already have Ulster U21 medals.

4th time lucky for Cavan in a Keinster junior final.

Great win and another medal for a lot of the lads who already have Ulster U21 medals.

4th time lucky for Cavan in a Leinster junior final.

So good you posted twice Lemlin? ;)

So good you posted twice Lemlin? ;)

At this stage, we savour anything we win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Clareman wrote: »
    Folks,

If you have a problem with a post, go after the post, not the poster, if a poster is annoying you, then block them so you don't see their updates to be annoyed.

Can ya not throw out a few bans instead?.. just for ****s and giggles!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The banhammer is the last thing I ever want to use, it's only ever taken out when nothing else will do, the internet is a great communications medium, not everyone will have the same opinion or reason for posting, if I was to ban everyone I didn't agree with there'd be an awful lot of bans handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

The banhammer is the last thing I ever want to use, it's only ever taken out when nothing else will do, the internet is a great communications medium, not everyone will have the same opinion or reason for posting, if I was to ban everyone I didn't agree with there'd be an awful lot of bans handed out.

Should that not be the 'Bannerhammer'?

The banhammer is the last thing I ever want to use, .
    And this is why I would never make the MOD grade... the internet would be just me and whoever actually puts up pics before they GTFO

Anyway lads, predicted scores for Sunday.

I'm gonna go Kildare 2:13 - 1:9 Meath.

Tomas and Conway to get the goals.

With Meath now missing Kevin Reilly, I'd be more confident if I was from Kildare (thankfully I'm not ;-) ) as I feel O'Connor will have more joy against whoever will now end up marking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

This will be a cakewalk for Kildare I fear.Its sad to see the likes of Meath being piss poor but I don't see a surprise on the cards.The players have quality but not enough of it.Cian Ward is inconsistent, Joe Sheridan looks a little off the pace and Bray has been injured.Gilsenan is not going to get much change from Johnny Doyle.

That leaves Graham Reilly as the talisman for Meath.

Kildares forwards look much sharper this year.If they can take their points, they won't have any difficulty beating Meath.Meath will have to target Kildares half back line I feel to get the scores they need.

My prediction

Meath 0-12 Kildare 1-15

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

blackbelt wrote: »
    This will be a cakewalk for Kildare I fear.Its sad to see the likes of Meath being piss poor but I don't see a surprise on the cards.The players have quality but not enough of it.Cian Ward is inconsistent, Joe Sheridan looks a little off the pace and Bray has been injured.Gilsenan is not going to get much change from Johnny Doyle.

That leaves Graham Reilly as the talisman for Meath.

Kildares forwards look much sharper this year.If they can take their points, they won't have any difficulty beating Meath.Meath will have to target Kildares half back line I feel to get the scores they need.

My prediction

Meath 0-12 Kildare 1-15
    To be fair blackbelt, we've got around half of our starting team out through injury, Gilsenan included. We're onto our 5th choice midfielder (Gillespie) at this stage. We've lost our captain, probably lost our best full back and a good few other definite starters from both the forwards and backs. Kildare meanwhile, as far as I know, have pretty much a full squad to choose from.
    If roles were reversed, or even if we simply had a full squad to choose from, I'd be pretty confident.
    Though I agree that Kildare should win this pretty easily.

You have some cheek trying to insult me like this!!!

Your so full of **** lemlin every year to pick a county to try wind up its normally Dublin from years past and now u choose Kildare why don't you crawl back under your bridge you twoll oops sorry troll :D

Also the reason I generally don't elaborate here is I use an iPhone not a pc or laptop and I find it a pain in the ass to type on it but sure you coming from CIIAAAVAAAN must be über intelligent eh??

As Clareman said, attack the post, not the poster. I was attacking your posts which, to be honest, generally aren't very informative. Case in point being that I gave multiple reasons why I felt Donegal would beat Kildare, klairondavis gave multiple points why he felt the opposite, but the best you could muster was:
    Donegal are no doubt a fine side with some great players but tbh I think Kildare would beat them in a close game I imagine

That is not giving me any indication whatsoever as to how you have come to that assertion.

Then you proceed to go on a tirade again me because I described your posts as "uneducated". Having read the above and similar posts of yours, I feel I have every right to describe them as same.
    The rest of your post went on to prove my point - the best you could muster was a poor jibe about me being from Cavan.

As for my previous opinions re Dublin, we had years of lads on this forum saying every year that Dublin were the third best team in Ireland and would win this and win that. I merely countered that by insisting they weren't and was generally proven right. Dublin and now the best team in Ireland and Kildare to be honest seem to have taken their place as the over hyped side e.g. people calling them the 4th favourite for the All-Ireland. As I've said above, I have numerous reasons that I don't agree with same.

Now, if we could get back to discussing Kildare GAA and the game in hand. I can see Kildare easily beating Meath this weekend. I would see Kildare beating even a full strength Meath team to be honest. Meath are not the team they were. I watched them twice last year, against both Louth and Kildare, and I thought they were weak in key areas, particularly in midfield. They seem to have gone rapidly backwards since their Leinster win in '09.

Lemlin wrote: »
    They seem to have gone rapidly backwards since their Leinster win in '09.
    Oi, get your facts straight ;)

We won Leinster in 2009, beating Kildare with 14 men for 3/4 of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

And somehow certain dubs still think this is something to brag about.
    I think been left with 14 men on the pitch is something I wouldnt be shouting from the rafters. I be worried about temperment this year Dubs could come back to cost you. :D

And somehow certain dubs still think this is something to brag about.
    I think been left with 14 men on the pitch is something I wouldnt be shouting from the rafters. I be worried about temperment this year Dubs could come back to cost you. :D

In fairness, it is something for them to brag about. Not the sending off but the fact that they have played Kildare twice in the past three seasons and Kildare have only troubled them in both games once Dublin were reduced to 14 men.

I be worried about temperment this year Dubs could come back to cost you. :D
    I'd be worried about the Guru on the sideline who twice has failed to come up with a tactical game plan to beat us with a man advantage for a total of 80 minutes out of 140.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Lemlin wrote: »
    In fairness, it is something for them to brag about. Not the sending off but the fact that they have played Kildare twice in the past three seasons and Kildare have only troubled them in both games once Dublin were reduced to 14 men.

That's not strictly true of the 2009 game. Kildare had drawn level when Brennan was sent off after shipping 1-03 without reply in the opening minutes. I don't think 2009 is really relevant to assessing the merits of both teams now anyway because both teams, particularly Dublin, have changed hugely.

Last year's match was a tactical disaster for Kildare. Starting Roli ahead of O'Connor. Moving JD back to the half-back line as the free man. Switching Kavanagh out the field and moving Hugh Lynch inside. Bringing on Sean Hurley and then taking him off again within ten minutes despite not on ball being kicked in his direction. Whatever chance Kildare are to have in any potential future match with Dublin, the same errors cannot be repeated. I'd hope that we won't be as tactically naieve this year but we have to get over Meath first and no one will be taking that for granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

Lemlin the point I was making was that been left with 14 men is not something to be proud of regardless of them beating kildare or whoever. They have been left with 14 men in huge games. Look at conolly aswell. Lucky enough they got him off the hook for the all Ireland.
    One day it could come back and bite them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

All roads shall lead to Clane on Saturday as Seanie makes his hurling debut for Coill Dubh in the Championship thus making him eligible for Meath on Sunday. :D The CCCCCCCCCCCC messed him around for long enough so it's a pretty fitting end to one of the most farcical episodes in the GAA! He will more than likely start the game and taken off at the first opportunity.

Prediction: Cill Dara 1-23 0-11 An Mhí

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Looking at the names of the Meath lads missing wouldn't strike fear into me. K Reilly excluded who's a top class full back. In most cases the guys who've come in are as good as they guys out injured. Just don't think there's much between them.

Kildare 1-15
    Meath 1-9

Lemlin the point I was making was that been left with 14 men is not something to be proud of regardless of them beating kildare or whoever. They have been left with 14 men in huge games. Look at conolly aswell. Lucky enough they got him off the hook for the all Ireland.
    One day it could come back and bite them.
    Never said we were proud of it TBH but we also seem to have a steelier edge when down to 14 so maybe Kildare should try it for size ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Emmet Bolton marking Graham Reilly, I think the ball now has to be pumped into that Meath full forward line.No disrespect to Reilly but on paper I would think Bolton would get the measure of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Greenngold

What are the odd's on Seanie Johnston coming on and Kicking the winning score:D.. Although i think Kildare will have too much for Meath and that is probaly unlikely to happen. I expect him to feature on Sunday though, looks like the Hurling gig is going to happen tomorrow night.

Advertisement