Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode vs Loc8 and satnavs in ES vehicles

• 29-05-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Does anybody know definitively which or whether of the two post coding systems are going to be used in Irelands ES vehicles?

Also whats the story with Satnavs for said ES vehicles? Are they to rely on taking directions to said address from their control rooms ie, "take the road..... to the junction of.....your looking for the second house on the right just before......"
    Or, will these vehicles and I'm asking about all our ES vehicles, Gardai, Ambulance and Fire service vehicles have their own independent units on board where they can punch in the Eircode, or the Loc8 code and follow instructions to said address from the unit, all be it with assistance from control.

Comments

• iceage wrote: »
    Does anybody know definitively which or whether of the two post coding systems are going to be used in Irelands ES vehicles?

The same ones that are currently used.

Nothing.

And if one is used it will be the state owned one.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

The ambulance service will put an MDT into.their vehicles (eventually). It is all part of the national control reconfiguration. But until then it's a case of directions and control

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Right, you see I only recently noted that Eircode seems to be the one favored, considering that Pat Rabbitte announced that its coming early 2015 at a whooping price of 27 million euro. What amazes me is that Loc8 is already out there and in theory is free. Did I miss something?

Just to clarify, my inquiry isn't another "Ambulance has no Satnav" post. I'd just like to think that if there is to be a system adopted, that the numpties involved in the selection and roll out would have our ES on the top of the trial list.. Postman Pat has been managing happily without it for years.

• iceage wrote: »
    Right, you see I only recently noted that Eircode seems to be the one favored, considering that Pat Rabbitte announced that its coming early 2015 at a whooping price of 27 million euro. What amazes me is that Loc8 is already out there and in theory is free. Did I miss something?

Just to clarify, my inquiry isn't another "Ambulance has no Satnav" post. I'd just like to think that if there is to be a system adopted, that the numpties involved in the selection and roll out would have our ES on the top of the trial list.. Postman Pat has been managing happily without it for years.

Postmen deliver to those houses all the time. The es might go once in a lifetime. Then add in 'dynamic' ambulance crews and closed Garda stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

foreign wrote: »
    Postmen deliver to those houses all the time. The es might go once in a lifetime. Then add in 'dynamic' ambulance crews and closed Garda stations.

But with an MDT you don't need to know where you are going, Control does, You follow the voices. still think the GeoDirectory works well enough at the moment.

• Advertisement

• maglite wrote: »
    But with an MDT you don't need to know where you are going, Control does, You follow the voices. still think the GeoDirectory works well enough at the moment.

But we won't get them. I remember it being talked about when the deal was done with Esat to put mobile phone antenna on Garda radio masts. Look how far we've come since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

^ Have things come on? I though Ireland was still rolling out Airwave... So still onbaording onto those masts that Esat put up in the 90s?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

Listen to Gen Manager Freight Transport Assocation Ireland on TodayFM yesterday stating that the proposed National postcode will not satisfy the needs of his members (DHL/UPS/Fedex and more) Interview starts at minute 42:52

It is not geo based and will not bring you from your position to where you want to go.

another complete fail from our government and so called semi state bodies. Ive said it before and ill say it again, An Post and their cronies with their hidden fuken agendas can **** off. Fuk this new Eircode bull****. **** you Pat Rabbitte and all your predecessors and fuk the new bull**** we will be given to us in 2015.

When you ring 999 and tell them your postcode you may as well as give them yours pets name for all the good it will do for the emergency services. It will not direct them to you.

Ireland going backwards here folks. €25m for this?

http://www.todayfm.com/player/shows/The_Sunday_Business_Show/22/13341/27th_July_2014_-_The_Sunday_Business_Show_Part_1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

maglite wrote: »

IF you've got a radio signal :o Let's say there's an incident up in the Wicklow mtns. In Glendalough there's no mobile signal whatever about other ways of communication :confused:

I'm probably one of the few (through bad experience ) that has my GPS location noted in my phone IF I needed the emerency services to get to my home, but for most people and emergency crews it's sods law

Advertisement