Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

games in Croke park around the time of Bloody Sunday

Options
  • 07-07-2014 5:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi All
    Was looking into an old relative who played for Dublin back around the time of the rising and was currious to see who the played. Is there anywhere I could find a list of games that took place in or around bloody sunday? Before or after

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

'Bloody Sunday' as in Bogside 1972?

There must have been hundreds of games played between 1916 and 1972.

And since 1972, of course.

Narrowing down the dates to something less than a ninety-eight-year period would be helpful, I'm sure.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

tac foley wrote: »

Narrowing down the dates to something less than a ninety-eight-year period would be helpful, I'm sure.

tac

OP said during the Rising. So clearly its around the time of the original Bloody sunday. Maybe read the OP before being snarky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

Hi Tac

Thanks for your extremely unhelpful reply... I thought I was being pretty clear which Bloody Sunday I was looking for but maybe you didn't realise that the British did more than one mass murder in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hi Tac

Thanks for your extremely unhelpful reply... I thought I was being pretty clear which Bloody Sunday I was looking for but maybe you didn't realise that the British did more than one mass murder in Ireland.

I believe that that comment does not add much to the topic either.
    Use of a capital R for Rising might have been clearer. Also, Bloody Sunday was 1920, which was four years after the Rising. Lots of events took place in Croke Park, not all involving Dublin teams (you do not say which sport). Have a look at the Croke Park website & photo archive, lots of photos there.

As pointed out, the orginal Bloody Sunday did not take place during the 1916 Easter Rising, and I was not trying to be snarky. Simply trying to tie down a more precise date in order to be of some help to the OP.

My post therefore stays, mainly because of the distasteful response from Mr Dillon.

Mass murders on the island of Ireland are not the sole province of the British - remember Omagh, Eniskillen and others?

I thought not.

tac

• Advertisement

None of which would have happened if they hadnt of invaded us....

Anyway, I had a look at the Croke Park website and no joy. Would anybody know of any websites that would have a list of games held in Croker?

None of which would have happened if they hadnt of invaded us....

Anyway, I had a look at the Croke Park website and no joy. Would anybody know of any websites that would have a list of games held in Croker?

I heard you the first time.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Would point out the original Bloody sunday took place in 1905

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

tac foley wrote: »

tac

No need for that response. Most people posting here are interested in history and it should be quite obvious which Bloody Sunday he was referring to.

Tommy Dillon. Croke Park museum curators may be helpful if you e mail them. Also maybe the older Dublin clubs like O Tooles and Faughs might have something on their websites as well as the Dublin County Board

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    No need for that response. Most people posting here are interested in history and it should be quite obvious which Bloody Sunday he was referring to.

Tommy Dillon. Croke Park museum curators may be helpful if you e mail them. Also maybe the older Dublin clubs like O Tooles and Faughs might have something on their websites as well as the Dublin County Board

Thank you for bollocking #3. I asked if the OP had meant the Bogside 'Bloody Sunday' of 1972 and got ignored.

He was talking about the Easter Rising, in which there was no 'Bloody Sunday' and did not mention the Independence War, in which it actually took place.

The last Bloody Sunday was in 1972, of course, but it was by no means clear which particular incident he was asking about, since there were no capitals for either the Rising or Bloody Sunday - whichever one he might have been asking about. However, it is unlikely that he would have been asking about the 1905 Russian 'Bloody Sunday'.

tac

Advertisement