Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Humm - getting the "laps database is full" error on my 405. I've tried to manually delete the 'Old' and 'All' activities but nothing seems to happen with the Delete Yes option is selected. Only seems to have started happening since i move to a Mac. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

emerald007 wrote: »
    Humm - getting the "laps database is full" error on my 405. I've tried to manually delete the 'Old' and 'All' activities but nothing seems to happen with the Delete Yes option is selected. Only seems to have started happening since i move to a Mac. Any ideas?
    Perhaps when you were running pre-Mac (Windows) you had the ANT agent setup to delete the activities from the watch, after uploading them to your computer?

Not sure why you can't delete the manually. Are you pressing the Start/Stop button to confirm deletion? Are you running the latest firmware? Have you tried a soft/hard reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mebuccaneers

Hi Guys
    I have a Garmin 610 and I can't get it to sync with the ANT the last few days. It all started when I updated the ANT software to ANTAgent_232.exe and ever since then the watch won't download to the laptop. It goes through the motions and gets to about 25% and then a message comes up saying that the last transfer has failed.
    Its doing my head in as I have uninstalled the update and reinstalled it and its the same. I have even gone back to the older version ANTAgent_2217.exe and no joy.
    I have even removed the device and found it again but it still won't download the activities from the watch to the laptop.
    And help resolving this would be great!!
    Thanks
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I think I know the answer but I'm asking anyway... Accidentally deleted a run yesterday (a 5k pb) which hadn't been uploaded, can I get it back in any way, either on the forerunner or garmin connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I know the 305 & 310 are aimed more towards the Triathlon side of things, but can anyone able to give a quick explanation of the difference between the 405, 405CX & the 410 ?

Looks like they are available for a good price and I need to replace my trusty casio stopwatch (now located at the bottom of a river in a canyon in the Blue Mts, NSW, Oz).
    May splash out seeing as the prices are looking pretty good online at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

305 is also suitable for running.
    The DC rainmaker site has reviews and comparisons of all the Garmins

Hi Guys
    I have a Garmin 610 and I can't get it to sync with the ANT the last few days. It all started when I updated the ANT software to ANTAgent_232.exe and ever since then the watch won't download to the laptop. It goes through the motions and gets to about 25% and then a message comes up saying that the last transfer has failed.
    Its doing my head in as I have uninstalled the update and reinstalled it and its the same. I have even gone back to the older version ANTAgent_2217.exe and no joy.
    I have even removed the device and found it again but it still won't download the activities from the watch to the laptop.
    And help resolving this would be great!!
    Thanks
    Paul
    I presume you have enough HD space to accommodate all of the activities?
    You might clear the history queue, just so you can be sure that isn't causing the problem. History queue:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<devicenumber>\Garmin Connect\Pending Uploads

Have you tried just uploading to Garmin Training Centre? You ould also try putting the USB dongle into a different USB slot. After all that, you should try posting on the Garmin forums, where lots of others have reported problems with the 2.3.2 build of the ANT Agent software.

JohnDozer wrote: »
    I think I know the answer but I'm asking anyway... Accidentally deleted a run yesterday (a 5k pb) which hadn't been uploaded, can I get it back in any way, either on the forerunner or garmin connect?
    I agree. You know the answer to that one. ;)
    If you had uploaded it to the computer, but not to Garmin connect, you might try the location I suggested in the previous post:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<devicenumber>\Garmin Connect\Pending Uploads

I know the 305 & 310 are aimed more towards the Triathlon side of things, but can anyone able to give a quick explanation of the difference between the 405, 405CX & the 410 ?
    405 - original watch.
    405cx - original watch + additional soft strap + different colour + different formula for calculating calories expended + more cost
    410 - original watch + additional soft strap + supposedly fixes problematic bezel issue + more cost

If you are going to choose between the three, I;d go with the cheapest. Just be aware that the bezel functionality is quite an annoyance, particularly in wet weather. As suggested by RayCun, the 305 is another viable alternative for running.

405 - original watch.
    405cx - original watch + additional soft strap + different colour + different formula for calculating calories expended + more cost
    410 - original watch + additional soft strap + supposedly fixes problematic bezel issue + more cost

If you are going to choose between the three, I;d go with the cheapest. Just be aware that the bezel functionality is quite an annoyance, particularly in wet weather. As suggested by RayCun, the 305 is another viable alternative for running.

Thanks for both replies - just trying to figure out which would be best. Can get a good price on the 405CX HRM, much the same as the 405, and only slightly more than the 305.
    The 410 is notably more expensive, I was just trying to find out what the added cost was buying.
    Just have to decide on the bulk vs bezel I suppose :-)

• Advertisement

Thanks for both replies - just trying to figure out which would be best. Can get a good price on the 405CX HRM, much the same as the 405, and only slightly more than the 305.
    The 410 is notably more expensive, I was just trying to find out what the added cost was buying.
    Just have to decide on the bulk vs bezel I suppose :-)
    The 305 should be cheaper than it is appearing on Amazon.co.uk at the moment. I would say when (if) Garmin get more supplies and start selling it on Amazon again, the price will be significantly lower.

The 305 should be cheaper than it is appearing on Amazon.co.uk at the moment. I would say when (if) Garmin get more supplies and start selling it on Amazon again, the price will be significantly lower.

Not on Amazon, it's handtec I'm looking at and can get the following prices, granted the first 3 are rated NOH (newly overhauled), which is effectively new, but a good price none the less...

305 HRM - 118.68 (but out of stock currently)
    405 HRM - 125.88
    405cx HRM - 117.60
    410 HRM new - 208.80

405cx HRM - 117.60
    Seems like a good deal, as long as there's some form of warranty and you're willing to take a level of risk. Are the prices in Euro, and do they provide the HRM strap, or are they just generalizing and calling the watch a HRM?

*Edit*: Just checked out the details. Even though it's UK£ it's a good deal, given that they offer 12-24 months warranty, and they say that the goods are not used, and they come with a HRM. €157 delivered to Ireland is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firemouth

Im looking for help with my garmin 310xt.I use my heart rate monitor most days for training ,after taking a v02max test before xmas the tester suggested i could be pushing slightly harder in some sessions so I decided to give it a try.I switched to a bpm reading instead of %max reading and all was going well,I found the sessions more testing and was really enjoying it,only when i reviewed the data lately i noticed the %max hr was over 100%.Does this mean my hr monitor is not set right or does it mean Im going to explode?I definitly wasnt flat out during the sessions but like i said they were testing,any help would be appreciated,thanks

firemouth wrote: »
    Im looking for help with my garmin 310xt.I use my heart rate monitor most days for training ,after taking a v02max test before xmas the tester suggested i could be pushing slightly harder in some sessions so I decided to give it a try.I switched to a bpm reading instead of %max reading and all was going well,I found the sessions more testing and was really enjoying it,only when i reviewed the data lately i noticed the %max hr was over 100%.Does this mean my hr monitor is not set right or does it mean Im going to explode?I definitly wasnt flat out during the sessions but like i said they were testing,any help would be appreciated,thanks
    Max HR is configurable, on either the watch, Garmin Connect, or Garmin Training centre. I suggest you update it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is....

ahem,

I mean, my garmin won't beep at me. I've set up a training centre run to stay under a certain heart rate but it doesn't beep when I go over this. I've looked through the thread and checked that there isn't a warm up and warm down (there isn't).

Any clues?

Or is there an idiot proof way to design a run that will beep if I go over a certain heart rate?

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is....

ahem,

I mean, my garmin won't beep at me. I've set up a training centre run to stay under a certain heart rate but it doesn't beep when I go over this. I've looked through the thread and checked that there isn't a warm up and warm down (there isn't).

Any clues?

Or is there an idiot proof way to design a run that will beep if I go over a certain heart rate?
    What type of Garmin do you have? If It's a 405, then it should simple be:
    [Training]
    [Workouts]
    [Heart Rate]
    [Zone=custom]
    [Min HRT=xx]
    [Max HRT=yy]

Also, make sure your [Alert Tones] are set to on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

What type of Garmin do you have? If It's a 405, then it should simple be:
    [Training]
    [Workouts]
    [Heart Rate]
    [Zone=custom]
    [Min HRT=xx]
    [Max HRT=yy]

Also, make sure your [Alert Tones] are set to on.

Thanks for help.
    Yes, it is 405, and that is exactly how it was set up. Very peculiar... will give it another lash and see what happens.

I clicked do workout to start the custom workout yes?

Thanks for help.
    Yes, it is 405, and that is exactly how it was set up. Very peculiar... will give it another lash and see what happens.
    I clicked do workout to start the custom workout yes?
    Did you setup an Advanced workout in Garmin Training Centre, or set it up on the watch? You need to make sure that it is not using the HR zones (which are pretty crap in my opinion), instead using 'custom', which I assume uses your min and max HR values (never tried it, to be honest). Also, might be worth your while making sure your 'beep' is still working.

I have set-up workouts in Garmin Connect ([Workouts] tab), with Min/Max pace, and the alerts worked fine. Too fine, in fact. They were bloody annoying! The only problem with Workouts created in Garmin Connect, is that you only seem to be able to send one to your device (405) at any one time. It seems to erase/overwrite existing work-outs. But maybe that's been fixed since I last tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What's the best training software for the Garmin Forerunner 305 please?

Is the Garmin Training Centre that comes with it any good? What would you recommend?

I'm on a Windows computer if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    What's the best training software for the Garmin Forerunner 305 please?

Is the Garmin Training Centre that comes with it any good? What would you recommend?

I'm on a Windows computer if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
    Really depends on what you want to get out of them.

Garmin Training Centre = Handy for backing up your data, zooming in on specific data points, and creating advanced workouts. Uses old maps (that can be replaced with OpenStreetMaps alternatives).
    Garmin Connect = Online version of Training Centre. Less data analysis available (can't really zoom into a specific point) but uses Google/Bing maps. Can also replay a workout.

The two commercial offerings that tend to be cited for those who spend more time analyzing theit data are Sportstracks and Training Peaks.
    They typically offer Basic subscriptions or trial editions that are free, but after that you pay for more advanced features.

There are others (like mapmyrun) where you can upload your workouts, but I'm not sure what they would offer above the products listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mebuccaneers

I presume you have enough HD space to accommodate all of the activities?
    You might clear the history queue, just so you can be sure that isn't causing the problem. History queue:

Have you tried just uploading to Garmin Training Centre? You ould also try putting the USB dongle into a different USB slot. After all that, you should try posting on the Garmin forums, where lots of others have reported problems with the 2.3.2 build of the ANT Agent software.

Thanks for your help Krusty.
    I tried everything and it was the same, attempting to download and the failed message would appear. So I got pissed off with it and left it to continue in its loop of attempting to download and came back an hour later and there were all my workouts on the garminconnect page even though it said download failed.....
    I have no idea how it worked, even today after a cycle I tried to download the workout and the same download failed message appeared but then later the workout had appeared on the garminconnect again....go figure!!
    I posted the same question over on the garmin forum and there seems to be a lot of problems with the latest Ant Agent software update.
    Anyway as long as mine works....eventually I'm happy!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Really depends on what you want to get out of them.

Garmin Training Centre = Handy for backing up your data, zooming in on specific data points, and creating advanced workouts. Uses old maps (that can be replaced with OpenStreetMaps alternatives).
    Garmin Connect = Online version of Training Centre. Less data analysis available (can't really zoom into a specific point) but uses Google/Bing maps. Can also replay a workout.

The two commercial offerings that tend to be cited for those who spend more time analyzing theit data are Sportstracks and Training Peaks.
    They typically offer Basic subscriptions or trial editions that are free, but after that you pay for more advanced features.

There are others (like mapmyrun) where you can upload your workouts, but I'm not sure what they would offer above the products listed above.

Thanks very much Krusty, much appreciated.

I'll give the Garmin Training Centre a go first anyway and if I'm not happy with that I'll try Sportstracks or Training Peaks.

Thanks again!

Paully D wrote: »
    Thanks very much Krusty, much appreciated.

I'll give the Garmin Training Centre a go first anyway and if I'm not happy with that I'll try Sportstracks or Training Peaks.

Thanks again!
    Best thing to do is upload your workouts to Garmin Connect and Garmin Training Centre at the same time. Eventually, if you get tired of those two options, or need more meaningful ways of analyzing your data, then try out the other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

When using any of the garmin watches, I assume when you upload the data online you can view your route and the elevation profiles?

Can you get info on elevation profiles (either in real time, or after your workout) directly from any of the watches, without having to sync the watch with the internet?

cheers!

PGL wrote: »
    When using any of the garmin watches, I assume when you upload the data online you can view your route and the elevation profiles?

Can you get info on elevation profiles (either in real time, or after your workout) directly from any of the watches, without having to sync the watch with the internet?

cheers!
    Here's my run from yesterday. You can get real-time elevation information from the watch, however, only one of the watches (Forerunner 910xt) has a barometric altimeter, so for all of the other models, the elevation information is a calculated approximation only.

After your workout, you cannot view elevation information on the watch (toy can view distance/time/pace/hr/calories and lap information. You need to upload it to a computer to view elevation data. You can't view specific data points on the watch (which is what you're talking about).

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Here's my run from yesterday. You can get real-time elevation information from the watch, however, only one of the watches (Forerunner 910xt) has a barometric altimeter, so for all of the other models, the elevation information is a calculated approximation only.

After your workout, you cannot view elevation information on the watch (toy can view distance/time/pace/hr/calories and lap information. You need to upload it to a computer to view elevation data. You can't view specific data points on the watch (which is what you're talking about).

Very impressive running krusty! (hoping to get up to your pace soon)

I see you have a forerunner 405, am I right in saying it has the Auto Pause feature? From looking through the garmin website, the 110 and 210 models do not have Auto Pause - however can you manually pause your run with the 110 or 210 models?

I would like to have custom workouts - i.e. time or distance goals. Am I right in saying that all garmin models except the 110 and 210 cater for custom workouts?

Also, out of interest, why and what are there 3 time categories? "time", "moving time" and "elapsed time"

cheers!

Very impressive running krusty! (hoping to get up to your pace soon)
    All things come with time (and miles!).
    I see you have a forerunner 405, am I right in saying it has the Auto Pause feature? From looking through the garmin website, the 110 and 210 models do not have Auto Pause - however can you manually pause your run with the 110 or 210 models?
    Yes, absolutely. You just hit the start/stop button when you want to pause/resume your workout. I used to use the Auto Pause function, now I just hit start/stop when crossing at traffic lights etc.
    I would like to have custom workouts - i.e. time or distance goals. Am I right in saying that all garmin models except the 110 and 210 cater for custom workouts?
    Sounds about right. The 210 does interval workouts, but that's it. After that, you have to look at a different model.
    Also, out of interest, why and what are there 3 time categories? "time", "moving time" and "elapsed time"
    Time = Amount of time while the watch is actively 'recording'. Does not include 'paused' or 'stopped' time.
    Moving Time = Like time, except if the watch judges you to have stopped, it does not count this time.
    Elapsed Time = From when you press start, to when you finally press finish at the end of the workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Hey Crusty, I've noticed a discrepancy between what my garmin 305 says I'm doing during a workout and what connect says I did post-workout.

For example, during a TT workout, part of the workout is to stay in HRZ 3 for 10 minutes. Thats grand, I can get into zone3 no problem and hold it there while watching the feedback on the garmin. But when I upload to garmin connect it says I was in zone 2 for the 10 minute duration:confused:

So which is the more accurate reading and why arent they the same??

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hey Crusty, I've noticed a discrepancy between what my garmin 305 says I'm doing during a workout and what connect says I did post-workout.

For example, during a TT workout, part of the workout is to stay in HRZ 3 for 10 minutes. Thats grand, I can get into zone3 no problem and hold it there while watching the feedback on the garmin. But when I upload to garmin connect it says I was in zone 2 for the 10 minute duration:confused:

So which is the more accurate reading and why arent they the same??

Thanks
    Hey SlogDySmile, have you got a link? What are you using to determine what zone you are in? Do you use actual HR zones (e.g. have set up HR zones on the watch and/or Garmin Connect/Training Centre? Are you using an advanced workout, setting up a HR based workout on the watch, or just monitoring HR on the watch? Are the training zones in Garmin Connect what you would expect?

Advertisement