Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

StrongLifts 5x5

• 27-06-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Anyone tried it? heard of it? or ny opinions?
    Reading through book thinkin of tryin it out,
    Any advice welcome
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Paterson wrote: »
    Any advice welcome
    Thanks

I am not being smart but, have a search of the forum. There are loads of opinions either way on it.

I think it's pants. Google Bill Starr 5x5 to see where it originally started and has been much bastardised to create stronglifts 5x5.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Its a linear progression where you squat 3 times a week and alternate other exercises.

I reckon there are better ways of using this strict linear progression than the way its recommended on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Paterson

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Its a linear progression where you squat 3 times a week and alternate other exercises.

I reckon there are better ways of using this strict linear progression than the way its recommended on the site.

Any recommendations?

Erm.....I could suggest three other programmes based on linear progression of sets of 5 reps. But the problem is I'm not sure they are the best way either.

You could marry yourself to a programme with a sexy name instead of to just a well put together programme of good lifts with a simple progression method...if you get me.

One alternative is basically the same with less sets, which I think is better, but then I don't actually like the idea of squatting 3 times a week or squatting and deadlifting on the same day, sooner or later the squat starts to affect the deadlift which is a bit of a waste of training time.

For this google: "Starting Strength".

Another alternative is to uses less sets and splits the deadlift off training the squat twice in the week instead of 3 times, but involves repping out on the last set (or the one set in the case of the deadlift) which probably isn't the best idea when you are trying to learn the lifts.

Google: Greyskull Linear Progression.

I'm sorry to be so long winded, but I don't necessarily think either of them are the best idea either.

The third one is what Brian said.

There are other suggestions I could make, but I'm not sure I'm qualified to be giving my full and frank opinion. And I need to go to the gym....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Pakia

I started 5x5 stronglifts today.

I'll post after few weeks to report if it worked for me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'm doing Bill starrs 5x5 and its working well for me so far, its sort of similar to SL.

0Xo2f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Have been doing Starting Strength for a while now. Am very happy with the results. That said, I'd be pretty sure that any programme that involves lifting heavy, with consistency would yield results in the vast vast majority of people.

The thing about SL, SS and BS5x5 is that they are very easy to follow and dont cause any confusion for beginners. I think thats their main strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pakia wrote: »
    I started 5x5 stronglifts today.

I'll post after few weeks to report if it worked for me. :)
    How will you judge if it worked?

If you get stronger, or bigger?
    Not really a good way to jugde the program tbh. For a begineer, going from no training to 3 heavy, low rep sessions a week, you will get stronger no matter what you do.

The newb gains in strength will almsot always overwrite any problems in a program for a few months.
    I'm doing Bill starrs 5x5 and its working well for me so far, its sort of similar to SL.
    BD5x5 was what Mendi (sp?) based the SL program on. He changed it a bit so that it was a little different then he marketed a very clever website around it.
    He spotted a niche, where the guys with the knowledge weren't internet savvy and capitalise. Very clever.
    He strength trainuign knowledge, not so clever. Or rather, I should say, the way he portrays himself on his site, as there's a chance its an act to appeal to certain types.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Ok its not perfect - but its accessible to ordinary joes who are starting from scratch and that I think is its best feature. While guy's who are well into lifting will scoff at it the beginner like me I think find it easy to read - easy to understand ( with the support on the site ) and easy to follow once you have the basics.
    I don't think its something people will keep up indefinitely but its defo what got me into lifting, mainly because of the above and results I was happy with.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I agree, I was going to do stonglifta untill I can squat 1.5 times my own body weight, bench my body weight, Deadlift twice my body weight etc

Is this a bad approach?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Deedsie wrote: »
    I agree, I was going to do stonglifta untill I can squat 1.5 times my own body weight, bench my body weight, Deadlift twice my body weight etc

Is this a bad approach?

There's worse you could do.

There's better you could do.

What makes you think it'll get you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

Nothing wrong with that at all,
    As Mellor said you’re a beginner, what ever you do you will get bigger and stronger squatting 3 times a week.
    Personally I did stronglifts for 13 months and found it great, Linear progression keeps you motivated aswell as you hitting PR’s nearly everytime you go to train.
    I changed programs about 2 months ago because as the OP mentioned I can no longer squat heavy 3 times a week and Deadlift after squats.
    Saying that I went from empty bar to 2BW squat and 2BWDeadlift.
    Deadlift weak compared to squat as I was training squat twice as much.
    I picked SL over starting strength soley because I do have the first clue how to perform the clean and jerk, plus the gym im in in G*Y and doesn’t allow it.

Hanley wrote: »
    There's worse you could do.

There's better you could do.

What makes you think it'll get you there?

Absolutely not a thing makes me think it. Just a hopeful aim.

Absolutely not a thing makes me think it. Just a hopeful aim.

So you could end up on stronglifts forevre then....?

So you could end up on stronglifts forevre then....?

Well I keep getting to 100kg squat, 70 Kg bench etc and then I stop for various reasons. So I have never stuck with it long enough to know either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭marathonic

Is this a bad approach?

I'm in a similar boat. Starting Starting Strength next week. I'm not sure how long to stick at it. I like the ratio goals given above but think I'll just stick with it until I go 2-3 weeks without setting new PR's - whenever that may be.

I'll then switch it up a little. As time progresses, if any of my lifts are going out of the above ratios, I'll vary the assistance excercises to help improve the main lift - depending on where my weak spots are.

Might not be the best way but it's the only way I know - for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I'd recommend stronglifts as a beginner.
    As has already been said, going from doing no weight training to squatting three times a week with all the rest is pretty much guaranteed to make you bigger and stronger.
    The site is alright for explaining the exercises but there are plenty of other videos out there to help clear things up. The handiest thing is the spread sheet you can download to track your progress. It's fun to lift heavier nearly every session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Seifer wrote: »
    I'd recommend stronglifts as a beginner.
    As has already been said, going from doing no weight training to squatting three times a week with all the rest is pretty much guaranteed to make you bigger and stronger.
    The site is alright for explaining the exercises but there are plenty of other videos out there to help clear things up. The handiest thing is the spread sheet you can download to track your progress. It's fun to lift heavier nearly every session.

i think it gives a great base to learn from.

here is what the starting strength wiki says about it

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/StrongLifts_5x5

I think rather than givin out about stronglifts, I should embrace it, further bastardise it, make it less effective and then sell it as my own. Seems to be the way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

I think rather than givin out about stronglifts, I should embrace it, further bastardise it, make it less effective and then sell it as my own. Seems to be the way to do it.

Now your thinking like a PT with his own website ;) Well done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I wanted a read of his 5x5 report the other day to see what stuff he was bastardising. It now costs money to join the stronglifts forum and apparently he has teamed up with andy bolton :confused:

Molly wrote: »
    apparently he has teamed up with andy bolton :confused:

Teamed up?

It looks to me like he just reposts Andy Boltons news letters in his blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Well he seems to be selling andy boltons stuff so I figured there was *some* collaboration there

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Paterson

I attached the report, while downloadin it few weeks ago he said feel free to pass around to friends, also i got it free

Molly wrote: »
    Well he seems to be selling andy boltons stuff so I figured there was *some* collaboration there

Dunno.
    Medhi is a very good internet marketer.
    These blog posts are mostly C&P of Boltons news letter.
    He seems to be offering a discount on Boltons stuff.
    Andy Bolton is trying to make money.

So I suppose it is teamed up if you define "teamed up" up as a little online co-marketing.

I wouldn't worry about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

It'll leave you comparatively a little weak on deadlifts for one thing but it does what it says on the tin: lift every second day and progress linearly at each lift every session. That works.

I milked all those newb gains out of it without much hassle. I done **** all in the last 5 odd months since then but that's on me and fairly unrelated.

Well, maybe it claims on the tin to do some other mad stuff, I can't remember, but that's all I came to expect from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Hi Guys,

i agree with the posts that your man Medhi has just re-sold what has been written before, but he does say that is how he operates. if you read the report he mentions several times, if not more that his method is just a copy of other methods with smaller twists, just marketed by him. fair enough, how many companies do the same, facebook/bebo anyone?

i have been doing weights for a good few years now, play rugby and do martial arts a lot. i would consider myself strong enough, could squat nearly my bodyweight for the last few years and lift heavy enough weights. could never pass through those barriers though.
    started the 5x5 programme, started on the low weights and have gone way past my own personal barriers. i think alot of it is down to starting low and then gaining confidence in how much you lift, coupled with slow progression.
    i used to go to the gym every few days and squat, but always with the same wieght and never mad much improvment. started doing this method and did. i know it was not rocket science, but most of the time people need the obvious pionted out to them.

it is a begineer course, as said in the report and will not allow you to keep adding weight all the time, but it will build a good foundation for you to build off, also as said. most people just need good directions to follow to go on thier own way after that, every PT will tell you the same.

Thanks, rant out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

The only 2 questions that matter for a beginner program are:

Is there structure?

Is there progression?

Unless the expercise selection and rep scheme are completely ballsed up then it will work to some degree. Stronglifts isn't a magic formula it's just structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Paterson wrote: »
    Any advice welcome
    Thanks

Tbh i think it's crap, i did it when i started out and progress wasn't great, i don't like trying to do a specific amount of reps and then stopping.

When i swapped over to another program where i did higher reps and less sets my progress was much better.

Go on muscleandstrength.com and check out their workouts, you'll have loads of choices and tbh most of them seem pretty good, as a general rule though if you want to build muscle and size use weight you can do 8-12 reps with for strength 6 and down.

That's what's worked best in my experience anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement