Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Options
  • 07-08-2014 7:53pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

Figured since we (finally) got over the Stage 5 hurdle a new thread wouldn't be a bad idea since the next band will be moving through stage 5 before long.

So the first intake of the current recruitment drive is finally confirmed to start induction week the 8th Sept followed by training the 15th.

Have it on good authority from current members that until we get our Uniforms we'll be expected to be suited and booted each day while down there.

The information pack due in the post might confirm this and other details. Impressed to see that there is wifi there - the last intake were all trying to use 3G dongles with laptops and that to stay in touch with the outside world afaik.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Best men's wear in Stephens green has some great deals at the moment for anyone interested. Definitely need a couple of new shirts myself. We'll probably end up wearing them for at least a month or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭K.Hammett

Since our vetting is cleared and all that, what's the story with us having to supply details on relatives again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

It's actually really weird in the sense that I had been reading threads like this that were more than 5 years old where people were talking about their excitement staring in Templemore. Now I'm one of them - A surreal feeling.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

K.Hammett wrote: »
    Since our vetting is cleared and all that, what's the story with us having to supply details on relatives again?

Was wondering this myself. Was thinking I'd just print and bring my Form B but first cousins are included on this one which is a bit of a pain for anyone with a large family. They want their occupations too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

They want details of relatives to help them decide where to station you. They don't want to be placing you in an area where you have a lot of family.

Don't get too excited about the wifi lads, strength varies depending on where abouts in the college you are and with 100 other recruits, staff and other courses, I'd say it'll be strained at the best of times!

I wonder will GRs have to wear their uniforms? Most likely not, all the same or none at all. Dusting off the suit so :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

They want details of relatives to help them decide where to station you. They don't want to be placing you in an area where you have a lot of family.

Don't get too excited about the wifi lads, strength varies depending on where abouts in the college you are and with 100 other recruits, staff and other courses, I'd say it'll be strained at the best of times!

I wonder will GRs have to wear their uniforms? Most likely not, all the same or none at all. Dusting off the suit so :pac:

It'll be suits for the first couple of months at least I'd say. We had to buy our parade shoes down there, I'd imagine it'll be the same for you lot.

A laptop and a selection of films is a must have. A decent USB drive, a shoe polish kit, an iron and a hair clippers for the lads should be on the list too. Don't bother with the cheap bottles of shoe shine, it'll just dry out the leather. Bring a pair of tights, they're great for getting a shine on your shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Hard to believe it, but we've done it!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Still can't believe it lads. Im over the moon.
    Looking forward to getting down there and starting training with ye all.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

On the first day we all need to identify ourselves by screen names

Bloodwing wrote: »
    Bring a pair of tights, they're great for getting a shine on your shoes.

Was told to get used to spending a lot of time polising my shoes down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

almeraguy wrote: »
    Was told to get used to spending a lot of time polising my shoes down there.

Yep, parade every Thursday or Friday for us. Shoes, hair and trousers were the ones that got the most people pulled. You should keep a pair of trousers that are just for parade.

Bloodwing wrote: »
    Yep, parade every Thursday or Friday for us. Shoes, hair and trousers were the ones that got the most people pulled. You should keep a pair of trousers that are just for parade.

Was told to keep hair well groomed alright and to make sure there were no stray hairs on the back of the next either.

It'll be a haircut every Wednesday night so.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Can't believe I'm actually going.... It's gonna be nice meeting everyone from boards down there. We all went through this speculation that caused so much havoc.

Anyone else travelling down from Dublin?

BRB wrote: »
    Can't believe I'm actually going.... It's gonna be nice meeting everyone from boards down there. We all went through this speculation that caused so much havoc.

Anyone else travelling down from Dublin?

I'd say there'll be a good few travelling down from Dublin. We should arrange carpooling once we all meet each other and save us some cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭K.Hammett

Was wondering this myself. Was thinking I'd just print and bring my Form B but first cousins are included on this one which is a bit of a pain for anyone with a large family. They want their occupations too.

Pain in the balls, but a small thing in the grand scheme I suppose.

Still hasn't sunk in that the application process is done with. Just waiting for a stage 6 to pop up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Beast Mode Boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Info Packs today hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

For you lucky enough to get your emails, what exactly did it say? Have you to be in Templemore on the Sunday etc??

mickaleen wrote: »
    For you lucky enough to get your emails, what exactly did it say? Have you to be in Templemore on the Sunday etc??
    No - we have to report at 2pm on the Monday to begin the induction week. I imagine though it'll be Sunday the 14th then in the college to start training proper on the 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

For the induction week have you stay in the college for the week? I suppose all that info is probably in the information pack.

• Advertisement

Yea - Monday 2pm through Friday 2pm according to the letter. Accomodation and meals will be provided.

Just received my information pack in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Just received my information pack in the post.

Is there much detail in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

What exactly constitutes a tidy haircut? How short? My hair isnt long but its not very short either. Will be strange looking at myself with very short hair!

octigen wrote: »
    Is there much detail in it?

Yeah there's a bit of reading to be done alright. Going to sit down with a cup of tea and get it done.

What exactly constitutes a tidy haircut? How short? My hair isnt long but its not very short either. Will be strange looking at myself with very short hair!

I think as long as its short enough to style and look smart/professional. I'll be playing it safe with a number four all around and a good trim on top!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Crew cut for everyone :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

Got my information pack aswell. Will be travelling from Dublin. It all feels so real now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sgthoff

take 2 off that 4 and you have your haircut. a four blade are you a hippy!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

I'd nearly shave my head to a 1 or a 2 but i havent the most aesthetic looking head!! Ha

Advertisement