Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying old house to renovate

• 01-10-2014 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi all, as per thread title, looking at buying a house which has been idle for 30 + years.

Current situation, no septic tank, no live electricity connection (although previously serviced by electricity), rectangular building, stone walls front, back and one side, gable end is single row of concrete blocks.

Walls seem structurally good visually, will be getting an engineer to verify the structure etc.

Current structure is 40 sq metres.

So my main questions are;

1) Septic tank, regards putting in a septic tank, I know I am going to get answers like speak to your local planning office, but I am on here looking to see if anyone has experience in similar situations and how they dealt with it and the process?

2)With the new building regs, from my reading if we were to extend to this building not exceeding 40sq m to the rear we would be exempt from requiring planning to do so and we would also not have the requirement of having to contract an assigned certifier.
    Just wondering if everyone else reading of this is the same?

Any comments experiences anyone wishes to share on similar scenarios are very welcome, I am trying to gather as much information as possible before bringing in engineers etc and purchasing.

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what county?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭patjack

sydthebeat wrote: »
    what county?

Tipperary, Syd

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

patjack wrote: »
    house which has been idle for 30 + years.......

requiring planning
    you need planning for septic tank and if the existing house has been idle for 30 years, you'll need planning to live in it / extend it

BryanF wrote: »
    you need planning for septic tank and if the existing house has been idle for 30 years, you'll need planning to live in it / extend it

Thanks Bryan, that clarifies that, I have looked at planning costs on my local council website, but as you have probably guessed I am a novice when it comes to planning a house purchase/build. Can anyone provide me with rough idea of the costs of applying for planning to live in it and also the costs of planning permission for a typical standard septic tank and percolation area.

I know the percolation test might mean that I have to put in a bio-cycle or similar but for the moment I would like to know typically what it costs to apply for planning a for a standard septic tank and percolation area?

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

3-5k planning submission including house design & site assessment for waste treatment
    3-7k waste treatment install
    40msq house not lived for 30years: imo knock it, new house of say 100msq maybe 200k including professional fees & planning contributions.

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    3-5k planning submission including house design & site assessment for waste treatment
    3-7k waste treatment install
    40msq house not lived for 30years: imo knock it, new house of say 100msq maybe 200k including professional fees & planning contributions.

Thanks Bryan, will continue to look into it, although the more we delve the more it seems to buy offers better value albeit we might have to compromise on location.

Thanks for all the replies.

Advertisement