Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clock Repair

Options
  • 30-09-2014 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a mantle-piece clock - mechanical with small pendulum - which no longer works.

It does have nice chimes though when they work :)

This thing has no monetary value at all, but if it could be repaired cheaply I would do so.

Else I will 'have a go' myself and might even replace the mechanism with an electric movement.

Anyway, I found an old thread which said at the time there was a shop on Parnell St. Ennis which did clock repairs.

Does this shop still exist? (Gavin/Galvin name)

or maybe there is an alternate location?

Thanks for any info received ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Yes, I was in that shop recently, it is still near Jimmy Brohan's in Parnell Street. The guy who runs it is incredibly helpful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Lolipop :)

I was in there last week with my watch, still open and doing a great service, everything seems to cost a fiver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks for the confirmation that the shop still exists. ;)

Looks like a visit to Ennis is on the cards soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

His name is Seamus Feeley.

Usually opens about 10.30 and gone by 4.30/5.

Unbelievable at what he does!!. My aunty recently brought a watch over from London as they couldnt fix it in any of the jewellers over there. Left it with him for a day and works perfectly now. One of many stories we have from going in to him.

He is across from O'Mahony's to the left in a green shop beside the arched lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Hi,

I have a mantle-piece clock - mechanical with small pendulum - which no longer works.

It does have nice chimes though when they work :)

This thing has no monetary value at all, but if it could be repaired cheaply I would do so.

Else I will 'have a go' myself and might even replace the mechanism with an electric movement.

Anyway, I found an old thread which said at the time there was a shop on Parnell St. Ennis which did clock repairs.

Does this shop still exist? (Gavin/Galvin name)

or maybe there is an alternate location?

Thanks for any info received ;)

+1 on the repair shop on Parnell Street. He has fixed several watches for me, always cheap, always works. You can't go wrong with him.
    As for replacing the movement with an electric one, NNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    That would be like buying an old oil painting and "restoring" it with crayon or marker pens and maybe drawing moustaches on the people portrayed.
    Unless the movement was completely destroyed (and I mean smithereens) and no other one available, i wouldn't entertain the fact. it would simply be destroying something nice and old.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Clareman wrote: »
    Lolipop :)

I was in there last week with my watch, still open and doing a great service, everything seems to cost a fiver :)

Lollipop was the predecessor.

Advertisement